Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 09-30-2019, 11:32 PM

Default NOX 600 Pinpointing Issues

Usually, when I switch to pinpoint mode I get the audible tone that varies with proximity to the target. The display also shows the graphical representation of the pinpointing intensity with the two arcs approaching each other and meeting at the point of maximum signal.
However, too often when I switch to pinpoint mode the audio component sounds as though the volume has been turned down (the pinpointing tone still rises and falls as the coil is moved around the target but the volume is much diminished), and the graph bars never meet. They may rise upward some ways, but occasionally the graph bars never even appear. When this happens, I usually have to sweep over another target or toggle the pinpoint button repeatedly to get the thing to re-set. Note that this phenomenon can happen over both good and bad targets alike. After re-setting I can properly pinpoint the target. Is this a common occurrence, am I not using some component of the pinpointing function correctly, is the machine trying to tell me something that I'm not understanding, or, do I have a problem with my machine? Does anyone else have this same experience?

Old 10-01-2019, 01:00 AM

This is a very common issue that was improved a little by the first software update. I don't know if the most recent update included pinpointing improvements. I used my Nox 600 today with the 2.0 software update, pinpointed around 50 targets and had to do the same as you around 5 times or so. That 10% ratio is about right. It is possible to press the pinpoint button over an adjacent target that was discriminated out and I wasn't aware of which can cause the exact opposite meaning an absolutely screaming pinpoint sound. More often though it is the situation you described. I don't know anyone with a Nox on these forums or as hunting buddies that has NOT had this issue from time to time. Minelab knows about it too..........

Jeff

Old 10-01-2019, 01:41 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by jmaclen View post
This is a very common issue that was improved a little by the first software update. I don't know if the most recent update included pinpointing improvements. I used my Nox 600 today with the 2.0 software update, pinpointed around 50 targets and had to do the same as you around 5 times or so. That 10% ratio is about right. It is possible to press the pinpoint button over an adjacent target that was discriminated out and I wasn't aware of which can cause the exact opposite meaning an absolutely screaming pinpoint sound. More often though it is the situation you described. I don't know anyone with a Nox on these forums or as hunting buddies that has NOT had this issue from time to time. Minelab knows about it too..........

Jeff
Thanks for the reply. Good to hear I'm not alone here. Mine came with the first update already installed. Be nice if Minelab could do something to fix it in the future. Great machine otherwise.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Supporter

Has been a bug since release.

http://youtube.showmetreasure.com |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
discount code A1466 | https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://twitter.com/ShowMe_Treasure

Old 10-01-2019, 05:54 PM
Elite Member

I only get this if i press the pinpointer button when the coil is too close to the target. If i move the coil further away and repress the button it's fine.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ghound View post
I only get this if i press the pinpointer button when the coil is too close to the target. If i move the coil further away and repress the button it's fine.
Same as me. It gets simple with practice

Old 10-02-2019, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by detectingMO View post
Has been a bug since release.
Originally Posted by Martin_V3i View post
Thanks for all of your replies. Actually, I'm careful to initiate pinpointing away from the target, but the problem seems to still occur. And getting it to re-set is a real pain at times. Would be nice if Minelab would address.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Martin_V3i View post
Me too. It really is simple once you get the hang of it.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Elite Member

X3

Old 10-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Elite Member

Yesterday I went on the maiden voyage with my new Nox 600 and I also noticed that it got real quiet a couple times on pinpointing. I just pressed the pinpointer on/off twice and it got much better???
I will say that 9 out of 10 targets were pinpointed VERY accurately.

AT-PRO NOX 600 YTD (2)gold (34)silver (6)ster (29)IH (148)wheatie (0) gold coins Oldest 1802 KG III, Silver Dollar Club!

Old 10-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by matmit View post
Yesterday I went on the maiden voyage with my new Nox 600 and I also noticed that it got real quiet a couple times on pinpointing. I just pressed the pinpointer on/off twice and it got much better???
I will say that 9 out of 10 targets were pinpointed VERY accurately.

See the posts above where it has already been discussed.
That pinpointing issue is a common glitch on both the 600 and the 800.
It is well documented, most everyone that have hunted with either has seen this.
No big deal to me, it only happens once in awhile and when it does I just take an extra few seconds to take my finger off the pinpoint button, move te coil away and depress the button once more to aquire the target location.
Or, set your coil away from the target location before you hit the button and then move the coil in closer.

Two updates and they have not managed to fix it yet so don't hold out hope it will ever be fixed.
Just gotta do what we all do and deal with it,

Sincerely, the opportunist."

Old 10-07-2019, 10:20 PM
Supporter

I have also had this issue on both my Nox 800 and 600. The latest update has not helped. Just something I have learned to live with.