Detector Maintenance

Dtcjem

I am wondering what you all do to maintain your detectors. I see posts about people wrapping coil wires, treating coil wires with something, and removing coil covers to remove sand and dirt.

I am a little confused....although that does not take much.

I empty the coil cover after each use (especially if I was hunting in sand/dirt). I also brush any sand off the detector's outsides after I've been at a beach. Doesn't take long, maybe a minute max

I remove my cover and scrub it with a brush and dawn dish soap, break the detector down and wipe clean with a non ammonia glass cleaner, exercise all screws for coil connections and etc, lubricate friction points with a mild lubricant, spray wax any metallic parts with a mild wax, and always store inside the house. I ask a lot out of my detectors and try to treat them as well as I can. I utilize cellphone screen protectors custom cut to cover buttons to avoid any wear caused by dirty fingers. And treat my coil cable with a specialized light oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do a quick wipe down with a damp cloth and clean between the coil cover and coil. I try to take good care of my machines.

I have not had a coil cover on any of my 3 machines so far and have not had any problems. I try to swing just above the ground instead of lightly skimming the ground. To clean them, I just use a damp rag, starting with the control box and working my way to the coil.
I use a velcro tie at the bottom and top of the shaft to hold the cable in place. If I'm not going to use the machine for an extended period, the batteries come out. I don't want to come back to a corroded battery box.

Dan, what oil are you using for the cable?

So I use Kano Kroil that I order through work. You can find it online too just make sure it’s in the orange can and avoid aerosol type delivery. The cables on these coils are light to medium duty jacketed which is both sunlight and oil resistant so the oil is just applied to keep the elasticity strong and the jacket from drying out.

I have not had a coil cover on any of my 3 machines so far and have not had any problems. I try to swing just above the ground instead of lightly skimming the ground. To clean them, I just use a damp rag, starting with the control box and working my way to the coil.

I use a velcro tie at the bottom and top of the shaft to hold the cable in place. If I'm not going to use the machine for an extended period, the batteries come out. I don't want to come back to a corroded battery box.

Go to McMaster-Carr’s website and search “1219K55” this is a great lubricant to use on your contact points on your battery points. I’ve used it on my f2 as well as a lot of other items.

Because I use my machines primarily at salt water beaches I use food grade silicone spray. The wires are staying supple. Trident and Mcnett are 2 popular brands. Readily available at dive shops amazon etc. I believe it also affords some protection from uv rays. Very cost effective protection for my detectors.

I remove my cover and scrub it with a brush and dawn dish soap, break the detector down and wipe clean with a non ammonia glass cleaner, exercise all screws for coil connections and etc, lubricate friction points with a mild lubricant, spray wax any metallic parts with a mild wax, and always store inside the house. I ask a lot out of my detectors and try to treat them as well as I can. I utilize cellphone screen protectors custom cut to cover buttons to avoid any wear caused by dirty fingers. And treat my coil cable with a specialized light oil.

Sounds like adding lots of unnecessary dirt attractant to me.

Wipe it with a damp rag, it'll be fine.

Because I use my machines primarily at salt water beaches I use food grade silicone spray. The wires are staying supple. Trident and Mcnett are 2 popular brands. Readily available at dive shops amazon etc. I believe it also affords some protection from uv rays. Very cost effective protection for my detectors.

Excellent choice for protection

I use covers on all of my detectors. Sand, Rocks, and other items will wear the coil. Covers are cheap insurance protecting the coil from wear.

I use a Gold Eagle product called 303 to wipe the coil wires. It is a marine grade protectant for plastic vinyl etc.

I like my detectors and try to take good care of them.

I wash my minelab Excalibur after every trip to the salt water beach. Fine sand can get inside the shave and cause the lower shaft to freeze in place.

Coil Covers are very important! even more so if you swing a FBS machine since you skim the grass. If you hunt around gravel or any kind of rock you definitely need a coil cover. River rock sand and debris can all take a toll on the coil which is one of the most expensive parts of a detector, might as well take care of it.

Coil Covers are very important! even more so if you swing a FBS machine since you skim the grass. If you hunt around gravel or any kind of rock you definitely need a coil cover. River rock sand and debris can all take a toll on the coil which is one of the most expensive parts of a detector, might as well take care of it.

The way some of the coils are formed on the bottom,a coil cover is a MUST because they drag in the grass really badly without one. The edges on the bottom of the coil are sharp,and catch every blade of grass. I agree,FBS needs covers,but to each their own. I’m talking mainly about the CTX coils but I suppose at least the Pro coil would be the same....
Agreed D!

A glance at my coil covers reveal a number of scratches i'm glad aren't on the actual coils... as has been mentioned, "cheap insurance" in protecting a much more valuable component. And the covers are likely to last forever...

I use both coil cover and control screen cover for the protection. After each use I wipe the machine down with damp cloth or paper towel. If I hunt when it's wet and I get the foam handle/grip all full of mud, I will wash it with soapy water and squeeze it with paper towels to kinda dry it. The mud and sand will cause the foam to deteriorate quicker, and I'll bet they might be a pain to replace. I also use Armor all on the coil wire and the weather cover. It's good UV protection. At the end of the season I take the stems, or shafts and blow out the cam twist locks with compressed air to get rid of the sand. During the winter I bring the detectors inside where it's warm. If the machine fails it's not because I neglect it.;)

Back
Top Bottom