Anyone in Bryan or College Station Tx area?

Seanpaul

I'm new to the hobby and been going at it by myself but would really like to try detecting with someone in the vicinity that also enjoys getting out for some hunts. So far I have not come up with any detecting clubs in the area nor have I run into any other detectorists while out. I do admit that I am a bit shy about detecting in public places, so its not like I have had the chance to see another fellow detectorist. Again, I am new but very open to learning some tips, techniques and advice from those more experienced and more knowledgable of hunting areas here. It's really all about a good time and enjoying the same hobby too:) If anyone is in the area and interested in hunting, just reply here or pm me, thanks!

Ive been scouting Willis but yet to find a good prospect yet. I am not afraid of asking permission. I average about an 80% yes rate so far. Huntsville may be OK. With SHS Univ there, we may do well in the parks.

Huntsville does look promising, depending on permission to hunt areas deemed historically significant. The university, as you mentioned, is also promising permitting you can detect there or gain the permission to do so on university owned grounds. I'm glad to hear of your success rate with permission, hats off to you for making the initiative and gaining access :clapping: I am just so new to this that I have yet to have a situation where I needed to gain permission but I am sure I will be getting my feet wet before long.

Plan To get started soon

I saw your post while researching metal detecting. I live in College Station and am hoping to get me a detector soon. I'm still not sure which one to get. I hope to have one with in a month or two and would like to have someone to detect with. Maybe we can get together when I get one. Also if you have any suggestions on which detector to get for a first timer let me know.
Thanks

Stoker

Hi Seanpaul,
I just lost a wedding band. I am pretty sure it is in my yard. If you want to come and give it a shot please get in touch. I live in Bryan. I'll bechecking the thread in case there are any other takers.
Thanks,
Frank

Hi Seanpaul,
I just lost a wedding band. I am pretty sure it is in my yard. If you want to come and give it a shot please get in touch. I live in Bryan. I'll bechecking the thread in case there are any other takers.
Thanks,
Frank

Hey there Frank; I just left you a pm, but yes I will be happy to help you out and give it a go at finding your lost ring.

I saw your post while researching metal detecting. I live in College Station and am hoping to get me a detector soon. I'm still not sure which one to get. I hope to have one with in a month or two and would like to have someone to detect with. Maybe we can get together when I get one. Also if you have any suggestions on which detector to get for a first timer let me know.
Thanks

Stoker

Welcome to the forum Stoker. I think that it's great you are looking into trying out this great hobby:) You can find a vast wealth of information about what detector to purchase over in the metal detector advice section of these great forums. Just know that everyone has an opinion and there are some biases on who sells the best machines, so be prepared to take it all in then make your own informed decision.

My personal advice would be to choose a reputable brand then model based upon the particular type of hunting that you will be doing the most of. Also, if you get a chance to visit a dealer, then do it. That way you can try out the detectors and get some hands on. If you want to look at what I've got then I would not mind letting you try them out. It's up to you how much you want to spend as well. If you buy a less expensive machine and don't like the hobby then you are not out much money and can recoup much of the costs by reselling it. You also start out with something basic and easy to learn. If you want to get a high end machine then go fir it. You can also get some of your money back if you dislike it and sell it off. Just know that the higher the price tag also means more bells and whistles that equate into a bigger learning curve and don't necessarily mean more finds. I would probably go the less expensive route, especially if you have a budget. What were you looking to spend anyway? That will narrow things down a bit.

I'll be happy to try to answer any questions you have, show you what machines I've got or get out there to hunt with you. Ive learned a lot but I'm still new to this as well. Pick the brains of the veterans here and dive in and read, read, read and read some more!

Hello everyone. Sean I also live in the area and have started detecting myself and if I run across any good places I will give you a hollar.

new to metal detectors bryan tx

i just ordered my first metal detector and am looking for the same thing you are. i'm in bryan and have lived here for about 40 years. send me a pm and maybe we can share some hunting ideas

Was in College Station

Hey,

I lived in College Station for the last four and a half years or so, but just moved up to connecticut. I got my first metal detector there and got into the hobby. I usually hunted the field at A&M where they have the bonfire memorial. Tons of clad, not much else although I'm convinced there are aggie rings in that field which are worth a bundle. It's in no way hunted out, don't worry! that field is huge. Other than that, I would mostly hunt the parks. Never found any old coins down there, in CS you really have to be in just the right spot since so much of it is new development. Go to the bryan college station list of parks page, you can google it, and they have the date at which every park was acquired.

The two oldest places I know of: The historic district that's right off george bush. There's a park there, can't remember the name, but it's surrounded by old homes, and one of the low lying areas used to be a pond. Never found anything old there but once again I was just starting, so who knows what's there.

The oldest park in town is in Bryan near the railroad tracks in a pretty poor area. Never got out there, it's way on the north side of town. If you find anything old in CS let me know!

Wolf pen might be a great place for newer items. I found a guys wedding band once (he was there looking for it already and I happened to show up with my detector), I also found a 1950s wheat penny and a bunch of clad. In CS, since a lot of places aren't very old, I would focus on where lots of people get together. Also, I would hunt the campus, I didn't do that as much as I would've liked, and there's a lot of old buildings there. You just gotta get out when there aren't a lot of people around.

Good luck!

-Rick

i live in bryan,tx

Just ordered my first detector, would love to join someone in hunting!

Hey, it's good to see my old thread resurrected; shows me someone is digging around in the area or searching for contacts! Thanks for the tips Rick; I am familiar with all the places you mentioned and have been over the parks you mentioned but I'm sure their not hunted out. The only place I have not been is on campus; neither in the field near the old bonfire or any other place around campus. I suppose I felt I shouldn't be there without permission or thought there was no way the university would not say something if they saw me anywhere on campus cutting a plug in the ground. I guess I can get out there and all they can do is ask me to leave; not like there are no signs that say I can't be there.

I agree 100% about being in the right spot b/c there is so much new development. Besides the campus grounds and the older parks, you have to wonder just how much is lost to residential and commercial development and there is a lot of that going on here!

I wish I were in Connecticut or somewhere else up north for the summer; this heat is oppressive! I've only been on a few short hunts these past two months mainly due to family and school but the heat is quite a deterrant as well. I have not had a lot of luck here besides clad and a little bit of silver jewelry, a few wheats and a silver rosie but some of the other forum members from this area have made some pretty good finds; I like to think that and tell them it's beginners luck!:D

Thanks again Rick for the tips; I'll have to check out the campus here and there sometime if I don't get kicked out. There are some good ole' boys here and aggies that won't care and aren't out to spoil the fun of others but there are also some that would like to do what they can to be a kill-joy and ruin the fun, especially if they have any weight in the local politics here if you know how that all works.

Thanks!

Hey,

I lived in College Station for the last four and a half years or so, but just moved up to connecticut. I got my first metal detector there and got into the hobby. I usually hunted the field at A&M where they have the bonfire memorial. Tons of clad, not much else although I'm convinced there are aggie rings in that field which are worth a bundle. It's in no way hunted out, don't worry! that field is huge. Other than that, I would mostly hunt the parks. Never found any old coins down there, in CS you really have to be in just the right spot since so much of it is new development. Go to the bryan college station list of parks page, you can google it, and they have the date at which every park was acquired.

The two oldest places I know of: The historic district that's right off george bush. There's a park there, can't remember the name, but it's surrounded by old homes, and one of the low lying areas used to be a pond. Never found anything old there but once again I was just starting, so who knows what's there.

The oldest park in town is in Bryan near the railroad tracks in a pretty poor area. Never got out there, it's way on the north side of town. If you find anything old in CS let me know!

Wolf pen might be a great place for newer items. I found a guys wedding band once (he was there looking for it already and I happened to show up with my detector), I also found a 1950s wheat penny and a bunch of clad. In CS, since a lot of places aren't very old, I would focus on where lots of people get together. Also, I would hunt the campus, I didn't do that as much as I would've liked, and there's a lot of old buildings there. You just gotta get out when there aren't a lot of people around.

Good luck!

-Rick

Just ordered my first detector, would love to join someone in hunting!

Welcome to the forum and the hobby! I would read up as much as I could if I were you on the hobby and don't be afraid to ask questions as there is a lot of good advice here to be had.

I have to laugh to myself a little bit because you picked the worst time of the year to get started but I also got started in a Texas summer too! The good thing is, if you can get out there and find stuff and you don't give up then you will probably stick with it because if the heat doesn't run you off then not much else will.

I think I could get out for a hunt if you wanted to go; just depends on the day of the week and my schedule, but that's how it is with everything. There are a few guys in the area that are on the forum as well and I've met and hunted with them and they are all a good bunch of people so if I can't get out to hunt with you then maybe some of them could go. Just pm me some time if you'd like and lets see what we can do.

Sean

Welcome swhite. WHOOP. Like Shaun said dont be afraid to ask questions there is some great people with some great advice to be heard.

looking for hunting partner in and around Bryan and College station

Hello everyone,
my name is Tom Grimm and have been detecting for over 15 years now using varied Whites Electronic machines from the DFX originally to the later Prizms series 3 & 4 and 6T to the last machine being the Whites V3I which I recently sold. I am buying another low end detector to start hunting again and would like to enjoy this awesome hobby with some friends in and around my area. I live near Roans Prairie in Grimes County which is known for the robust history before and during the Civil War, I have found on my own property Civil War artifacts I have posted pics of some of these to Whites stories on their webpage. I have hunted a few older places around here and found my first buffalo nickel I can be reached through my email or via telephone at 936-874-3060 to anyone that has lost any item and needs to have it located via metal detector I love finding things and returning them to their owners.

Back
Top Bottom