Southwest PA

Did you have any luck at Mingo Creek? I work in Canonsburg and that Park doesn't seem too far from there.

Hi mdhewlett,
I have found 3 large Cents there, 2 of them drapped bust (1797 and an unreadible date) and 1 was a classic head (1808). I have also found a bunch of wheat pennies and relics like crotal bells and stuff, but still no silver.

There are plenty of old foundations and spring houses in the park and I always jump around spot to spot instead of concentrating my efforts into one spot because I am trying to find a hotspot. I'm going to start concentrating on them one by one from now on. If you ever want to go, let me know, if I'm free I'll meet you out there.

That sounds like a pretty good area - I also have an Explorer, but I'm still learning. PM me next time you're headed out and I'll see if I can get a kitchen pass.

Mike

Mingo is not a far hike for me. I went today over to South Park to practice at the concert stage. I was getting beeps every so often, but found nothing, so I took out my practice quarter and college class ring--pretty heavy white gold. I was getting beeps all the time on the quarter but almost no recognition of the heavy gold ring. All I got today were heavy arms and frustration. The manual that came with my Famous Trails MD9300 is terrible and the one online actually contradicts the one that came with the detector, and has information apparently not for the 9300--a "hole for adjustment of ground balance" that does not exist on my machine. Frankly, I'm inclined to toss the thing in the closet or sell it at a garage sale. I'm checking Amazon for some kind of generic instruction bible, but so far, it ain't workin'. I'm open to any ideas you might have.

Hus4154, just be advised that you need a permit to hunt Mingo. If you live in Washington County, I think it's $6. I have one, but many years I didn't and they never said anything to me. I have hunted there a few times, never seem to do much good. I have hunted South Park quite a bit too. I'm shocked at the above post of great old finds....LOL, maybe that's why I never found any!

No, permit not required for South Park but you do need one if you decide to hunt Mingo Park. I have hunted South Park many times, there is still treasure to be found. You will find that the Police will not even blink an eye if they see you detecting, I have crossed paths with them many times over the years.

I have had a permit for Mingo a couple of years, I have never been asked for it. I would bet that you could plea dumb if they asked, they have seen me but never stop.

If the weather improves a bit, might either or both you guys like to hunt South Park? I live about a mile away from the park. I don't have much experience, but I'm out there swinging. I hunted Friday. Sorry to say that I am finding lots of aluminum, but not much else. :(

mingo creek park

hi my name is kevin i live in Dawson pa about 23 miles from mingo creek park, i go mding alot! if you like someone to go to the park with let me know, i was just there today. kevin hh

Hi Kevin

How did you do Kevin?

I'm up for doing some detecting as soon as the weather get's good enough.

Saturday looks like it is going to be in the Mid 40's and the rest of the week should be warm enough to keep the ground from freezing.

Anyone want to go Saturday Afternoon?

I could also go Thursday Afternoon probally about 2:30 or 3:00 p.m. if anyone is interested

I will be available during the week after June 7. Mingo, maybe, but what about just found Elizabeth and Dead Man's Hollow? Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom