Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 03-09-2018, 06:48 PM

Default How Much Do Headphones Help?

New guy here. Been using an ATP and pretty happy with what I am finding. I have not used the headphones yet, so my question to more experienced guys, is will using headphones help find deeper relics? I have been focusing on the softer, deeper signals with the speaker, and have been impressed with the depth of some finds. Wondering if using headphones is better for deeper stuff.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:10 PM
Elite Member

Headphones make it easier to hear a faint signal. When I first started in the hobby I asked the same question. I will never hunt without them now. Besides, headphones help keep people from coming up to you and asking questions.

Fisher F70, Fisher F44, Fisher F2, 2018 clad: $0.01, Silver coins: 0, Indian heads: 0, Wheaties: 0, Gold rings: 0, Silver rings: 0, Total clad: $286.80, (after paying off the F2), Silver coins: 38, Gold rings: 4

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Supporter

Everyone uses their machine/headphones for different purposes.

I have an AT PRO for a little over a year. I live in the heart of Sacramento and some of the parks I hunt are ghetto, dangerous. For this reason, I started out wanting to be completely aware or my surroundings. I never wore the headphones, and I found my fair share of gold and clad.

One day, I tried the headphones, just for the heck of it. I loved it! Not because it gives more clues than without, but because I was so much more focused. The AT Pro is straight up LOUD, especially in a beautiful, dew-laced, empty park at the crack of dawn. I realized that for my place and purpose, this might not be the right option.

I value MY stealth more than anything. For me, in my area, I use the headphones and keep my head on a swivel. And my protection within reach.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:57 AM
Supporter

The above two replies say it all IMO. Headphones keep others from hearing the machine and let you get in a "zone" where all you're doing is concentrating on what the machine tells you.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:39 AM
Elite Member

About double the battery life's worth.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Elite Member

Battery life and really bringing out the nuances in signals would be the main advantage. Keeping all the curious at bay would definitely be another advantage.

The wireless headphones that came with my Kruzer will be a first for me. I have wired headphones (especially my single cup Killer Bees) that I can use IF I pony up $29.95 for an adapter dongle (my only gripe).

Old 03-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by NCtoad View post
The above two replies say it all IMO. Headphones keep others from hearing the machine and let you get in a "zone" where all you're doing is concentrating on what the machine tells you.
Agreed!..Headphones get a guy in the 'Zone'....Mandatory...The rest of the Worlds distractions are excluded and disappear when a guy pops on the phones, a philharmonic dirt symphony....Its the only Peace in Life we get...Listening to what the dirt is saying...This Sport is Audio Primary...so yeah, you need to hunt with good phones to fully experience and appreciate the wonderment of the Dirt World Orchestra....

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Especially on a windy beach.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Supporter

Love the wireless phones on my Deus.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:42 PM
Elite Member

With the AtPro you have to use earphones to hear the descriptive audio!
I wouldn't use the pro without it.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:26 PM

Get water proof phones then you can also water hunt with your ATP.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:47 PM

Go with wireless for sure. No tangled messes.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Supporter

I use wireless earbuds with my AT Pro, requires a bit of finangling but not difficult to set up. No difference in the sounds compared to regular earphones and I can have one ear free if I want to keep a listen out for other things going on around me.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Elite Member

to me Night and Day difference

Old 03-10-2018, 06:15 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by SoOregonMd View post
to me Night and Day difference
Oh yeah!

Old 03-10-2018, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. On my next hunt, I am going to give them a try!

Old 03-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Supporter

Yesterday my headphones really helped keep my hat on with the wind blowing 20 - 30 with gusts to 40 mph.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by RF1 View post
New guy here. Been using an ATP and pretty happy with what I am finding. I have not used the headphones yet, so my question to more experienced guys, is will using headphones help find deeper relics? I have been focusing on the softer, deeper signals with the speaker, and have been impressed with the depth of some finds. Wondering if using headphones is better for deeper stuff.
I also use an AT Pro and an Ace 250. I like the headphones if I will be at it for a while. A quick 15-30 minutes of relaxation for me means probably not.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Supporter

Well so far I've been a hold out. Tried them but didn't like'em. Just don't like not hearing whats goin on around me,...I hunt in the boonies anyway so not worried about folks hearing me or asking questions. All that being said the overwhelming majority says it makes a difference,..so,...for the sake of silver I'll probably try them again sometime this year. Now,...what kind/brand do you guys like ???

Old 03-17-2018, 05:47 PM

I did try them for the first time yesterday. Not sure what I think. I like to hear my surroundings too so not sure if I could use them long term. I guess I am not sure if they help you to hear the deep, quiet tones if the surrounding area is quiet to begin with. I could see if it was windy or you were near a road that they would definitely help. But, if you have good hearing and you are in a quiet area, do they help you detect those deep signals? If the experts say "yes", then I'll keep trying!