Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 04-01-2018, 03:23 PM

Default Second time out with Xterra

So I have been improving with my Xterra. There's def a learning curve coming from Garrett Ace's. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is how to stop it from chattering so much. I often. Ant tell what nimber I'm getting because it jumps so much.

Some of the best advice I have gotten so far was to SLOWWWW DOWN. Aint that the truth with the Xterra. It goes deeper, but you gotta work slower

Old 04-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Elite Member

They are very stable machines, so if slowing down doesn't tame the chatter there are a few other things to do.

First, re-noise cancel. This is especially important if you've been running smoothly and it gets progressively more noisy as you go. You may well be moving into an area where there is more EMI.

Second, re-ground balance. Conditions change and you need to make the adjustments necessary to compensate......often.

Third, back down the SENS a point or two. This should be the last thing that you do. Typically, if you're properly noise cancelled and ground balanced, and slowing down more/again doesn't stabilize the machine then you're running a bit too much Sensitivity. You really won't lose much depth until you've reduced SENS below the top third of the adjustment range.

The best that you know is the best that you've had.
Slow Down, and you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Elite Member

do A factory reset,and start from scratch..noise cancel,ground balance,turn on ground tracking,put sensitivity at 20 and you should have the quitest and stable machine made.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
do A factory reset,and start from scratch..noise cancel,ground balance,turn on ground tracking,put sensitivity at 20 and you should have the quitest and stable machine made.
He has a 505, so no Tracking option available.

The best that you know is the best that you've had.
Slow Down, and you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.