• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Legend or Equinox and why?

bigtim1973

Elite Member
I would like to hear input from those who have tried and used both out in the field and not on fresh buried coins or other targets.

Did you try the legend and stuck with the equinox?

Or did you try the legend and sell your equinox?

I have had an equinox 600 in the past.

I liked the big screen and it performed pretty good.
I currently swing XP units.

However I have liked the nokta makro units I have owned in the past very much.

Am kind of getting the bug and the legend is one I am curious about.

Please share your input on the legend and how you like or did not like it compared to the equinox please.

Thanks, Tim

Legend. Equal performance, better balance, build quality and price.
The only thing I liked better on the 800 was the tones.

I have both although not enough time with the Legend to pass judgement. I really like the Equinox, have had it for 2 years and have really found a lot with it. I did notice the Legend is coil heavy, so it needs a counterbalance. Also, I like the Coin ID better on the Equinox so far, but to be fair need more time. Is the Legend equal? Possibly, but I would not give up the Nox.

Steve

If you are asking Legend or Equinox (meaning 600) those two may be close iin price but the Legend has the features and performance of the Equinox 800 with more dependable build quality along with some features the Equinox doesn’t have. For me, the user interface and display of the Equinox is easier to master than the Legend.

Last edited:
Nox 800 $950 + cf rod $90 + metal cuff $30 = $1,040 and water intrusion issues vs sub $635 🤔

Legend vs Nox
What MuddyMo said AND Legend=Pitch Tone audio, 6 tones, grip vibration for target indication, expanded low to mid conductor target ID range, 16 user profile slots, 3 multi settings in some modes.

I am not saying the Legend is better than the Equinox 800. I just don’t know yet. It does have better features for sure.

I am saying it is way, way, way better than the Equinox 600 for less money

In Legend’s current configuration with version 1.09.
Eqx 600 and Equinox 800 will run circles around Legend (all using Multi freq) in a modern trash (lower conductors) detecting scenario trying to locate higher conductive targets. I will add, you can add all the feature you wants to say Legend. It won’t help Legend in modern trash scenario detecting.
As long as ID for higher conductors are drawn down (or more blind to Legend all the features in the world won’t help it.
For example. Park 2 on Equinox is poor performer in modern trash. If we added park 2 ops to Legend. Park 2 would still stink on Legend- with all of its supposed features.

Now can an update improve Legend with what I am referring? I don’t know.

Keep in mind this is just one facet of a VLF metal detector. So me saying this I am not implying or saying Equinox is best detector overall.

The above is based on my actual testing, use of in the wild of both Equinox 800 and Legend detectors. EQx 800 Park 1 detect mode is the same on Eqx 600 as far as its response to higher conductors amongst lower conductors.

I have done quite a few videos and posted links on this forum in Legend thread in all about detectors subforum. All videos I have done comparing Equinox 800 and Legend points to what I say above. Folks can watch these videos if they choose.

In Legend’s current configuration with version 1.09.
Eqx 600 and Equinox 800 will run circles around Legend (all using Multi freq) in a modern trash (lower conductors) detecting scenario trying to locate higher conductive targets. I will add, you can add all the feature you wants to say Legend. It won’t help Legend in modern trash scenario detecting.
As long as ID for higher conductors are drawn down (or more blind to Legend all the features in the world won’t help it.
For example. Park 2 on Equinox is poor performer in modern trash. If we added park 2 ops to Legend. Park 2 would still stink on Legend- with all of its supposed features.

Now can an update improve Legend with what I am referring? I don’t know.

Keep in mind this is just one facet of a VLF metal detector. So me saying this I am not implying or saying Equinox is best detector overall.

The above is based on my actual testing, use of in the wild of both Equinox 800 and Legend detectors. EQx 800 Park 1 detect mode is the same on Eqx 600 as far as its response to higher conductors amongst lower conductors.

I have done quite a few videos and posted links on this forum in Legend thread in all about detectors subforum. All videos I have done comparing Equinox 800 and Legend points to what I say above. Folks can watch these videos if they choose.

tnsharpshooter is raising a good point in this post with results on same plane tests with foil and a US Mercury dime about an inch or so apart. The Legend in his videos is not very consistent on that target scenario. My Legend performs somewhat better than his but that is not the point.

I have mentioned this before. My biggest gripe with the Legend performance wise is what appears to be very inconsistent target IDs from different areas of the 11" DD coil that I have. There are very sensitive sweet spots as opposed to some almost dead spots. It is hard for me to describe. My 6" coil is more consistent. The Equinox using Minelab and Coiltek coils does not have such drastic differences using different areas of those coils.

tnsharpshooter is raising a good point in this post with results on same plane tests with foil and a US Mercury dime about an inch or so apart.

I take serious issue with this test, or rather more specifically the hasty conclusion that he and Calabash draw from it (That this proves the Legend is inferior in modern trash).

The biggest clue here is that both detectors hit the silver coin when in a low khz single frequency. This is an optimal frequency to hit the silver coin harder, and both do. Where as a higher frequency will hit the foil proportionately harder. (Please note this is an oversimplification and the actual relationships are a bit more nuanced)

All this test really suggests, is that in multifrequency, they have different weightings given to each individual frequency. This test might indicate that the Deus II gives more weight to the lower frequencies and the Legend is weighted more towards higher frequencies.

Everything is a trade-off. There is likely some trash / coin configuration that is to the benefit of the Legend's MF weighting scheme and to the disadvantage of the Deus II. Without doing a series of trials where you vary something (you know, have an actual variable in your experiment), there is no way extracting anything of significance from this test.

Now if you repeated this test with 100 different pieces of trash of various types you might find in a park, then it might say something. Experiments needs variables and multiple trials or else you are just cherrypicking the result that you want.

I take serious issue with this test, or rather more specifically the hasty conclusion that he and Calabash draw from it (That this proves the Legend is inferior in modern trash).

The biggest clue here is that both detectors hit the silver coin when in a low khz single frequency. This is an optimal frequency to hit the silver coin harder, and both do. Where as a higher frequency will hit the foil proportionately harder. (Please note this is an oversimplification and the actual relationships are a bit more nuanced)

All this test really suggests, is that in multifrequency, they have different weightings given to each individual frequency. This test might indicate that the Deus II gives more weight to the lower frequencies and the Legend is weighted more towards higher frequencies.

Everything is a trade-off. There is likely some trash / coin configuration that is to the benefit of the Legend's MF weighting scheme and to the disadvantage of the Deus II. Without doing a series of trials where you vary something (you know, have an actual variable in your experiment), there is no way extracting anything of significance from this test.

Now if you repeated this test with 100 different pieces of trash of various types you might find in a park, then it might say something. Experiments needs variables and multiple trials or else you are just cherrypicking the result that you want.

Haste?. Naw.
It’s called the truth.
Here’s a real simple test in video to show monster difference.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IsuNx6du5tk&t=3s

Haste?. Naw.
It’s called the truth.
Here’s a real simple test in video to show monster difference.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IsuNx6du5tk&t=3s

Drawing hasty conclusions from poorly contrived "experiments" is how people convince themselves the earth is flat, among other ridiculous things.

I see nothing in that video that video that resembles a meaningful dataset.

Also, please don't assume I am asserting the opposite conclusion is true. Rather I am asserting that no conclusion should be drawn from that.

Drawing hasty conclusions from poorly contrived "experiments" is how people convince themselves the earth is flat, among other ridiculous things.

I see nothing in that video that video that resembles a meaningful dataset.

Also, please don't assume I am asserting the opposite conclusion is true. Rather I am asserting that no conclusion should be asserted from that.

I have done head to head in the wild on targets using Equinox and Legend. Same results.
I have done NO on top of the ground test using lower conductor maskers on higher conductor objects where Legend had the lead, it is always Equinox Park 1 in the lead. How coincidental?
Oh Etrac does better too than Legend. btw.

I have done head to head in the wild on targets using Equinox and Legend. Same results.
I have done NO on top of the ground test using lower conductor maskers on higher conductor maskers where Legend had the lead, it is always Equinox Park 1 in the lead. How coincidental?
Oh Etrac does better too than Legend. btw.

See, this is where we clearly think differently. You are now trying to convince me of your "truth", when you should be trying to convince me your methodology is sound (which it isn't).

You should be defending your methodology not your results. It's an important difference...

See, this is where we clearly think differently. You are now trying to convince me of your "truth", when I don't actually care which detector is better in a world where I can own both.

You should be defending your methodology not your results. It's an important difference...

Well,
Equinox 800 using park 1 multi will yield more accurate id on average of higher conductor subjected to lower conductor masking vs park2.

Using my same methodology and these same results I get are seen in the wild. When targets are dug and area examined.

Also I have done same with deus 2.
You want to see a video where I actually witnessed when comparing fast program (higher freq) to deep high conductor program (lower freq).
Watch first part of video. Where deep high conductor exposed the dime with nickel. Fast program not so much.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OKzgMa2s9hE

Btw, I can say with 1000 % certainty. Legend using multi freq wouldn’t have exposed that dime in first part of video above.

Btw, I can say with 1000 % certainty.

Unfortunately being 1000% certain about results from a "test" with no trials, no variables, no actual data set, etc. strips you of all credibility in my eyes.

I like to do testing too, but I treat all of my results with extreme skepticism, instead of 1000% certainty.

I guess we are just different.

Unfortunately being 1000% certain about results from a "test" with no trials, no variables, no actual data set, etc. strips you of all credibility in my eyes.

I like to do testing too, but I treat all of my results with extreme skepticism, instead of 1000% certainty.

I guess we are just different.

But I did have a trial.
Did a video when I first got Legend.
Want to see the results.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5LoeBfS2KaE&t=112s

I just don’t make stuff up as I go along.

Especially when the tester is a well known Legend basher (along with his buddy), even before using a Legend. Science can't beat bias.

Then to add insult to injury, he draws ludicrous conclusions such as:

Eqx 600 and Equinox 800 will run circles around Legend (all using Multi freq) in a modern trash (lower conductors) detecting scenario trying to locate higher conductive targets."

I'm surprised the day of the week and the weather weren't included in that conclusion.

Anyway, coming from a science background, I agree with everything you said AC.

Back
Top Bottom