Modified a shovel bought at Lowes

Nice shovel mod. I'm glad you posted the fail, and what caused it, too. I don't have a long shovel, but am hoping to some day have a good one. I do like the saw teeth on both sides of my White's digmaster hand digger. They do cut through roots that a straight edge won't. Not sure about the best teeth design, though. Maybe smaller, or alternating edged teeth would be better? I think your teeth design looks like it works well, but if they weren't so high up the blade, where the heavier prying action happens, you could better avoid that breakage. I'm thinking 3 to 5 less teeth at the top on each side, and you'd still be digging(and sawing) with that beast. Notice where it broke. Right through the top teeth cuts, which were inline with where the center weld ends. Makes sense that it broke there, where the force is concentrated during prying.

I agree with what you are saying- I should have gone up only about 6 teeth on each side instead of 11. I will say I had no issues with it hanging up on roots like others suggested it would. It cut thru them well.
The pattern is the same as my Lesche hand digger, which by the way, I made the toothed single sided digger into toothed on both sides and like it much better.

Attachments

• IMG_1323 r.jpg
    IMG_1323 r.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_1324 r.jpg
    IMG_1324 r.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 289
Great bunch of replies. For me, there's nothing more self-satisfying than to make something for specialized use you've either invented or or modified, such as this case.

Good job. And ...... now that you've found points to improve, please show us the new version. Yes, I'm making my own too but from a typical spade blade. 4.5 inch wide blade with one side not trimmed off but bent to form an L (looking from the handle).

Thanks again and Simper Fi

Looks good but we needed some sharpshooters at work so we tried some Kobalt brand shovels. Sorry but they did not pass the test. Blades bent and handles broke. The digging we were doing was not even that extreme. Yours may work fine for you seeing you shortened the handle.

"Predator Tools" shovels and diggers are what I use and could not be happier. They are built for extreme use. Expensive yes although I really can't imagine ever having to buy another shovel or digger.

I have broken nearly every shovel i have owned. Predator is the only one that has held up so far. I broke a ground hawg, lesche, couple lowes specials, nothing compares to the predator tools so far.

Ya putting your own teeth in it is pointless. They grab when dull which will be after one hole. Try one without the grinding. You can also find a D loop handle for $4.99 if you prefer that style. No need for a $100 predator tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but you are wrong. Maybe if you only dig sodded parks or topsoil filled yards. But around me the predator is the ONLY shovel that has lasted me. And ive been through quite a few shovels....

Sorry, after all that work. Thanks for your post, may save others with their designs. I took a short, regular shovel w/handle, which I had but never used and cut it down with a small grinder, 1 1/2" off each side and several cutting teeth along the bottom, maybe 3" up from the point. Works great for me.

Back
Top Bottom