Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 03-20-2016, 06:09 AM
Elite Member

Default Train Depot

Received permission during the night to hunt an old train depot.
Not around it, but inside it as the floor was removed and current owner said the floor is now dirt.
He didn't have any inside pics to show me, only outside.
I plan on going there in an hour or so.
I'll post pics from within. Hope its not a wasted drive as its about 45 minutes away.
Till later

Old 03-20-2016, 06:27 AM
Elite Member

Good luck with your adventure !!

Old 03-20-2016, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck man. Will be waiting for a report.....

Old 03-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Elite Member

Good Luck Joee5. Who knows what fell under the floor. This could turn out to be good.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:45 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by msand View post
Good Luck Joee5. Who knows what fell under the floor. This could turn out to be good.
Yeah, this could be REALLY good! Better get some popcorn ready for when he checks back in!
Mud

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:57 AM
Elite Member

Sounds good I can't wait to see what turns up I'd be very optimistic about this hunt depending on the age of the depot. Every time I hear about one I think of my Dad. Not to drift off topic but in the 30's my Dad and his brother both out of work had what they thought was a job in an apple orchard and wound up in Orville, Washington. They ended up stranded there and trying to come up with enough money to get home on they slept under the train depot for several days I heard the story many times growing up about the two of them carving their names in the bottom of the steps. Not long after returning my Dad's brother joined the Navy and was stationed on the battleship USS West Virginia when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. My Dad being the youngest was eventually drafted in WW-2 he landed at Utah beach during the D-Day invasion. I knew about my Uncle Jack and Pearl harbor growing up but never knew about my Dad and D-day until after he died and going through his stuff he never mentioned it. Sorry to ramble and hope I didn't bore you.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:32 AM
Elite Member

Joee5, good luck ! I have done good at old buildings crawl-spaces, where floors have been removed for some sort of alteration/renovation purposes. Or just urban demoltion where you can access that. Or even having crawled/scuttled underneath them while the floor still intact !

Reasons for coins getting under floors are varied, but it never ceases to amaze me how many coins, that post-date a buildings construction, get underneath. One big reason is drip-grates: In an era before indoor plumbing, proprietor's of buildings would put drip grates in their floors, which could allow harmless dripping through the sub-floor. Like for under the old-time ice-boxes (precursors to refrigerators), that had real ice in them (before modern electrical frige's). And thus coins could fall through that way, as those grates would also double as a convenient place to sweep the floors to.

You can always tell when you've hit upon such a spot, because there'll be other lint, litter, paper, and odd-ball things like dice, peanut shells, bottle caps, etc.... there.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:44 AM
Elite Member

Must be doing good he's about 4 hours into it.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:25 AM
Elite Member

I would sift the top layers of dirt around the foundation inside after detecting it if he doesn't care. Its amazing what nuggetnoggin finds by sifting that he can't find with a detector in those iron riddled sites.

Good luck!
G2M

Old 03-20-2016, 11:54 AM
Supporter

Now this has potential.

I wonder how much area Joe has to work?

Are we talking like a Grand Central Station or some little Podunck kind of place?

If the floor had gaps there has to be some kind of rewards there.

I'm excited!

Old 03-20-2016, 12:10 PM
Supporter

Gluck Joe, sounds like a dream hunt!

2 Compadres : 2018 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $96.42 ($737.92), Silver coins: 1 (6), Wheats: 12 (41), Gold: 4 (22), .925 4 (53), Rings: 24 (164), Oldest Coin: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 03-20-2016, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Dragonfire View post
Good luck with your adventure !!
Originally Posted by CTCurt View post
Good luck man. Will be waiting for a report.....
Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Yeah, this could be REALLY good! Better get some popcorn ready for when he checks back in!
Mud
Originally Posted by Hdnsouth View post
Sounds good I can't wait to see what turns up I'd be very optimistic about this hunt depending on the age of the depot. Every time I hear about one I think of my Dad. Not to drift off topic but in the 30's my Dad and his brother both out of work had what they thought was a job in an apple orchard and wound up in Orville, Washington. They ended up stranded there and trying to come up with enough money to get home on they slept under the train depot for several days I heard the story many times growing up about the two of them carving their names in the bottom of the steps. Not long after returning my Dad's brother joined the Navy and was stationed on the battleship USS West Virginia when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. My Dad being the youngest was eventually drafted in WW-2 he landed at Utah beach during the D-Day invasion. I knew about my Uncle Jack and Pearl harbor growing up but never knew about my Dad and D-day until after he died and going through his stuff he never mentioned it. Sorry to ramble and hope I didn't bore you.
Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Joee5, good luck ! I have done good at old buildings crawl-spaces, where floors have been removed for some sort of alteration/renovation purposes. Or just urban demoltion where you can access that. Or even having crawled/scuttled underneath them while the floor still intact !

Reasons for coins getting under floors are varied, but it never ceases to amaze me how many coins, that post-date a buildings construction, get underneath. One big reason is drip-grates: In an era before indoor plumbing, proprietor's of buildings would put drip grates in their floors, which could allow harmless dripping through the sub-floor. Like for under the old-time ice-boxes (precursors to refrigerators), that had real ice in them (before modern electrical frige's). And thus coins could fall through that way, as those grates would also double as a convenient place to sweep the floors to.

You can always tell when you've hit upon such a spot, because there'll be other lint, litter, paper, and odd-ball things like dice, peanut shells, bottle caps, etc.... there.
Originally Posted by jruckman38 View post
Must be doing good he's about 4 hours into it.
Originally Posted by Greek2Me View post
I would sift the top layers of dirt around the foundation inside after detecting it if he doesn't care. Its amazing what nuggetnoggin finds by sifting that he can't find with a detector in those iron riddled sites.

Good luck!
G2M
Originally Posted by Digger-Dave View post
Now this has potential.

I wonder how much area Joe has to work?

Are we talking like a Grand Central Station or some little Podunck kind of place?

If the floor had gaps there has to be some kind of rewards there.

I'm excited!
Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Gluck Joe, sounds like a dream hunt!

Just got back. I gave it an hour and so much debris caused my XLT to overload constantly to the point that she shutdown a few times. I even tried to shovel away a layer but whatevers in the ground made her go nuts.
Outside is all gravel and "hot rocks" which also caused the XLT to go crazy. At this point I was going crazy too.
I may return next week after I do some research and figure out how to hunt it.
Twelve cents total for my effort and a modern key
A few pic of the inside and you see what I had to deal with.....

Old 03-20-2016, 02:43 PM
Elite Member

I would take a garden rake and clean the surface off some. Mask out iron and your still going to get a workout. Grid a small section at a time. Good Luck man!

Old 03-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Elite Member

I would take a garden rake and clean the surface off some. Mask out iron and your still going to get a workout. Grid a small section at a time. Good Luck man!
Thanks

Old 03-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Supporter

Joe, do this then hit the area with a magnetic sweeper like this one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18-...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don't let an opportunity like this one get away.

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2016, 09:56 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Digger-Dave View post
Joe, do this then hit the area with a magnetic sweeper like this one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18-...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don't let an opportunity like this one get away.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. Never saw one of them in person in action. Harbor freight has a few choices

Old 03-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Elite Member

make your self a sieve and go thru it that way

Old 03-21-2016, 04:24 AM
Elite Member

Looks like a job for a 77b , or a silver sabre, or a shadow x2. An XLT is NOT a "ghost-townsy" machine for sites like that.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:56 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Looks like a job for a 77b , or a silver sabre, or a shadow x2. An XLT is NOT a "ghost-townsy" machine for sites like that.
After yesterday's experience I agree. Gonna make a sifter and sift it when I get permission again

Old 03-21-2016, 08:40 PM
Sponsor

Use a 4 in coil on the Xlt. Rake top layer of debri then detect then screen it an detect some more. HH phil

813-237-1939
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whites Dealer of the Yr 2011,12,13,14,15,16
Whites•Tesoro•Garrett•Fisher•Minelab
V3i, CTX3030, CZ21,SS, Silver Umax

1 members found this post helpful.