The great "Facebook experiment" has begun

mpgandfun

I don't know if I'll ever muster the gumption to go door knocking like some do on here. I envy those that do and don't let the fear of rejection get in the way of new areas to hunt!!!

I just tried the next best thing IMO: I put a request up on my Facebook page asking my friends if they would be willing to let me hunt areas on their property. Here's a cut & paste of what I typed:

"A couple years ago I started a new hobby; metal detecting. I've hit every playground, park, sand volleyball court, beach, etc., within 30 miles of me. This year, I'd like to find some new areas to hunt.

(Facebook friends) Would you be willing to let me detect the front/back yard, old barn, root cellar, old foundation, etc. , on your property?? I pop a small plug of dirt out about the size of a softball to recover a target. I refill it when I'm done. Any junk like nails or glass I recover gets taken with me and thrown away.

If you wouldn't mind me having a go at it, please private message me.
Thanks!

Dale"

I intentionally didn't use the words "dig" or "hole" in my request. I think those words trigger a negative knee-jerk reaction in many people's minds.
Now I wait to see if I get any permissions from it......

Might just work! Let us know...If it dont, may I suggest putting in something about the 'therapeutic and exercise' you derive from this Sport, and that you would consider it a huge honor, favor and blessing to be able to recreate/search their property in a safe environment without the worries of getting jumped in a public park? If no concessions, take it one step further!....Ramp it right on up to the limit! Sometimes a guy has to gently 'demand' a favor from friends, make it personal to each one and not just a generic splash?...like when they needed help moving, and they owe you one for a favor like you have done for them in the past?..!

\like: "Remember when I helped you bury that bad guy you killed that was sniffing around your daughter?, well, I will be digging up your front yard this weekend with my metal detector, so have breakfast ready for me around 8am, eggs over easy, wheat toast, Country ham, some pulp...":laughing: Follow up with a threat even! "If you dont reply with a hearty affirmative ASAP, consider yourself unfriended, and of no more importance to me than a casual acquaintance".....Nobody helps bury a body for a casual acquaintance!
Mud

I have kind of used fb. But I looked up some properties of my friends first. Found the year they were built and then sent them a pm. It's a little more aggressive then throwing it out to everyone. I have quite a few yards this year from texting to fb messages. And if you have an extra detector, throw that in there. Some may like the idea to help.

I let my post "soak" overnight and I checked things this morning. Several people liked my post, a few : "Ya find anything good?" replies, but only one granted permission so far.

Wellllll....It sure didn't pan out like I hoped it would. A few more "likes" and a few people suggesting places I could try. I had only one reply giving me permission, -but its on a property that was a farm for quite a long time. He said the foundation hole for the barn had a couple cars buried in it heh heh.
Who knows, maybe there's some good stuff to be found there. I'm gonna find out!!! ;)

I'm not sure why I only got one permission. For the record, I can tell
you its not because I have a history of poor M-D ethics or that I'm generally a "jerk". Who knows!!!??

Wellllll....It sure didn't pan out like I hoped it would. A few more "likes" and a few people suggesting places I could try. I had only one reply giving me permission, -but its on a property that was a farm for quite a long time. He said the foundation hole for the barn had a couple cars buried in it heh heh.
Who knows, maybe there's some good stuff to be found there. I'm gonna find out!!! ;)

you its not because I have a history of poor M-D ethics or that I'm generally a "jerk". Who knows!!!??

Maybe include a pic of a plug after you've removed the target. I sometimes believe many people think their will be a spot of brown dirt where you dig. Maybe a note like "this is what the pot will look like after I remove my target.. Nearly unnoticeable!"

I personally wouldn't even mention that you cut plugs or ANYTHING like that. People don't get it until they see it in person usually.

Good way to go at it though. People share those kinds of things, you may be surprised at who gets ahold of you

My guess is because you just put a post to a wide variety of people. Most people will just scroll through that stuff. I would also. Now, throw someone a private message asking permission. Show them you have enough care in what you do that you are willing to go to them instead of them just agreeing to your broad request.

Back
Top Bottom