• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New at Metal Detecing

Feliciano

Hi! I'm new to metal detecting and I'm a little confused on how to use my detector properly. I've tried you tube video and read the manual a bunch of times but I'm more of a hands on learner. I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind letting tag along with them on a hunt and show me how to use my equipment and dig properly please that would be great! its my first detector :grin:

I live in Bristol CT, willing to travel around CT, I have the teknetics T2 detector

Hello from Western Australia! :) Before you go out on a hunt, familiarise yourself with the tones of the detector, i.e test different items (such as a quarter, penny, dime, foil, bottle cap etc) to see what they ring up as, so you know what you should and shouldn't dig. Good luck!

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Did you see this video, it is supposed to show basic stuff -

This next video is not for your model, but it shows how you can put different things in the dirt as a test to hear what the different tones are for different things -

Here is a group for your state so there should be members on the forum -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/group.php?groupid=230

Thanks GKL! ill check them out and thank you metaladdict! wow everyone is very nice on here! :D

Welcome from SW Pa. You've come to the right place. You won't find a better bunch of people willing to help and share their experience with you. Good luck and HH Mark

As another new guy I can definitely say the best things for me have been 1) watch a good walk-through like GKL provided and 2) Get out there and spend a few hours with your machine both with targets you put down to learn to identify the tones and by digging a few new targets. Especially if you're a "hands on" learner!

WELCOME from the Lone Star State of Texas. ive been metal detecting for about a year now and it has definitely been hard to learn my machine and the key fundamentals to detecting. (i still have a lot to learn:D) so my advice like my fellow detectorists have said is take your time and learn your machine! ive dug up my front yard countless times learning the signals on different types of goodies and different types of trash before i went out for real. also this is definitely the place to be, man these guys are amazing people and you wont find better!:drums::hornetsnest::kingdances::detector:

:cool:good luck to you man!:cool:

Welcome to the forum from Kansas and Antiques Detectors. Good Luck and Happy Hunting. You have a very good machine in the T2.

Welcome from Arizona... be sure and bury a few coins etc in a "test garden" and then practice to get to know what the differences sound like and how your detector reacts. It'll help a bunch.

Welcome from south Ga. Experience will be your best teacher. You probably already know more than you think, you just don't think you know. Tearing up your yard first is the best idea. Every time you dig a plug just think how that damage would upset you if a stranger was doing it to your yard and make it better. Low, slow, and level swings. Good luck and happy hunting

Didn't have time to read through all the replies but if a buddy isn't an option, YouTube is an excellent resource. There are How-Tos on just about every detector model! All of the instructional DVDs Garrett provides with a purchase of one of their detectors are available for free on YouTube as well!

Hi! I'm new to metal detecting and I'm a little confused on how to use my detector properly. I've tried you tube video and read the manual a bunch of times but I'm more of a hands on learner. I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind letting tag along with them on a hunt and show me how to use my equipment and dig properly please that would be great! its my first detector :grin:

I tried my Teknetics Classic T2 in air test inside house. The highest sensitivity that worked inside the house was 80 which beeped on a dime out to 10".

If you want to hear trash beeps besides coin beeps, then set discrimination lower. Discrimination will also let you reject items that have conductivities different from coins.

Do the sites you've tried detecting have extreme trash? If so, you need the 5" DD Teknetics coil, 8.5" on dime in air test. Very expensive new, but used ones can be had much cheaper, about $50-$75 used. Teknetics has a 5x10" coil for the T2, I picked one up used for only $60. What else would you like to know? The more specific the questions, the easier they are to answer.

Check out "Basia Today" on YouTube. She uses the T2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom