Very bad press

That is sad, I did notice in that article it said -

"All you need is a photo ID to get a free metal detecting permit issued by the Department of Parks and Recreation, which grants permission to dig in more than 100 city parks. More than 500 permits were issued citywide last year."

First let me say I'd ideally prefer not to have to get a permit, free or not, but since that is what is already in place they need to be strict with those leaving holes saying the first time they get caught leaving an unfilled hole they will be fined $100 and their permit taken away for a year, and if they get caught digging without a permit after it being revoked then a $500 fine and permanent revocation. That would be better than simply making metal detecting off limits for everyone.

Not good. I have a feeling you NY'ers are going to start seeing some restrictions coming. Better shape up. But I did notice from the looks of the grass , it wasn't exactly " pristine " looking. But there were holes. :lol:

Face it, it's a dying hobby. Places to hunt are more limited each year, people are less apt to grant permission to private properties these days due to the increasing number of scumbags in the world.

The majority of older, easily accessed sites were beat to death back in the hayday ('70's/'80's), much of what's left is getting paved-over or built on.

The majority of what will keep the hobby going will be recent drops, and I ain't gonna go buy a new $1000 detector for that.

Yea tend to agree it's a dying hobby, but so far has been for the most part hassle free. I'm starting to notice some craters but could be a dog digging also.

But New Yorkers in that video looked like typical spoiled smug DINKS double income no kids .So they mention night hunters as if they are hardened criminals they probably have a day job paying taxes/raising a family and not on welfare like half of those complaining.

Slow News day evidently....Everyones a target nowadays for somebodies criticism....Those detectorists are not sensitive to this situation..out in broad daylight rooting around like a trufflepig for everyone to see, and making a mess...Therefore, they are indeed idiots at best as well as bad ambassadors for our Sport...The concerned people interviewed are equally stupid and trouble makers...it was a bad mix...

Best advice for anybody who enjoys being outdoors in just about any public area is to not be seen and leave no trace you were there to begin with...This is common sense...

Somebody probably had just watched those goobers on TV dig a new clad civil war quarter worth $500, figured they could do the same.

Back
Top Bottom