Think I'm going to love this!

DebiTN

Hi,
I'm Debi and I live in southeast Tennessee. I've always wanted to try my hand at detecting but between kids, work and just life in general I put it off. Well, kids grown, still work, and life is still happening (thank the Lord) LOL SO, I decided if I didn't do this now then I never would.
I've been reading on it, got my detector and had my first two "hunts" this weekend. I LOVED IT!
I can't wait til my next time. There are a few things I need, like a pair of gloves! Hahaha
I live on an old farm with 90 acres, so it's nice to be able to just walk out the door and choose a new spot to hunt.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Seriously... Any at all!!
FYI... I have a Garrett Ace 250.

Hi,
I'm Debi and I live in southeast Tennessee. I've always wanted to try my hand at detecting but between kids, work and just life in general I put it off. Well, kids grown, still work, and life is still happening (thank the Lord) LOL SO, I decided if I didn't do this now then I never would.
I've been reading on it, got my detector and had my first two "hunts" this weekend. I LOVED IT!
I can't wait til my next time. There are a few things I need, like a pair of gloves! Hahaha
I live on an old farm with 90 acres, so it's nice to be able to just walk out the door and choose a new spot to hunt.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Seriously... Any at all!!
FYI... I have a Garrett Ace 250.
Welcome from Western WA! I too have to juggle work and life with 3 kids (and a wife! lol). Lucky you got acreage to search. You should be able to find some cool stuff.

Pointers: Dig anything remotely solid until you learn your machine. Don't give up when you find garbage. Ask questions; people are usually nice enough to answer. Husky brand makes some nice heavy duty gloves- i just bought 4 pairs for $40 on sale at Home Depot and I rotate through them, especially with the wet weather now.
Get a pinpointer; for a good one it is worth every penny for the time/energy/frustration saved.

Happy Hunting!
bca04828ed77b080e8151d090d4f1e2e.jpg

Oldest coin- 1950 S wheat penny.

Hi, I may at first do a large general area hunt, if you get in to older targets then of course spend more time in those spots. Look in area where maybe was a old cloth's line, near old sidewalks, under old tree's. Do you know where there was a cabin or other old buildings etc. Check a spot where there could of been picnic's or even a swim pool.

Some old timers not trusting banks would bury treasure outside often in a spot they could view from a kitchen window or porch, perhaps near a old fence post are near a tree trunk. If old property you could likely find vintage bottles in the old privy outside. They are not hard to locate.

Basically hunt in spots that had more people walk by or work. Good luck

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

With 90 acres you'll keep busy for a while before you got to search elsewhere :lol:

YouTube has lots of detecting tips videos, here is one example -

First of all, welcome from SW WI.

It's great you are so open to help and suggestions.

JAMo, is exactly right, dig every somewhat repeatable signal you find, but first make sure you record the sound and the VDI in your brain and try to guess what it is. This game will help you learn your detector and tones quicker which will help you shorten your learning curve.

You may tire of digging scrap, and not the valuables you wish. Just remember removing the trash will help you find the treasures later.

Enjoy the peace and solitude when you put the headphones on, it seems it's my only escape anymore.

Welcome to the site and hobby,
prepare yourself for the addiction, (there is no cure.)
rechargeable batteries is a good investment.
I like to also use an old plastic screw top spice bottle,
or aspirin bottle to put my coins in.
I cut a slot in the lid so I can simply drop my coins in,
rather than having to un-screw it after each coin then screw it back on....
bigger coins like halves or other finds you may have to unscrew it...?

We here hope to see some great finds coming ,from your dirt.:D

Welcome to the forum Debi from Southern California.
Ask as many questions as you need to from forum members. Spend as much time as you can to learn your detector.
Don't wander (unless you want to). Grid small areas thoroughly to remove trash then go back over it carefully then repeat process at 90 degrees.
Best of luck out there!
BH

Big welcome from WV! Good for you in discovering a great hobby and

There should be lots of interesting finds around the yard. On the rest of the 90 acres, you could find relics like old hardware from harness, maybe even a wagon wheel. Check to see if there were any other house sites on the property.

Lots of luck to you and hope you find some good stuff.

Welcome to the forum

Some good info here on the forum.

Look forward to reading more about your experiences as you grow with the hobby.

Great excercise too.

I would turn off iron, the last icon on the left. Unless you live back east where you may find a
cannon ball.
You might want to use coins mode first and dig coins in the front and back yard.Note: you will dig copper shells also.
When I first started I notched out everything below quarter icon and did nicely in parks.
Found lots of gold that rings up under nickel.
Some gold chains ring up lower.
Some gold above nickel but not for me.
A friends platinum ring rang up alum foil.
Happy detecting!

Also having a sharp small hand shovel works wonders. I had a silly plastic kellyco shovel
that broke in no time.
Home depot has a nice one, or buy a lesche type tool.

Welcome to the addiction....

one thing I'd suggest is that you make a test garden. bury coins about 18in apart and at different depths...

once learned start to test other things as well....

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom