Excalibur II shaft.

meggie

Elite Member
I'm considering buying a new Excalibur II. Everyone has told me to get a straight shaft.
I have a complete spare straight Sovereign GT shaft .. would it be suitable to attach the controls to?

You can do that but you will need one of those rod extension pieces for the Excalibur. It's sticks out the back of the shaft behind the cuff. Well balanced after that and nice to swing. You may need to drill holes to make it line up with the cuff bolts. Another down side is the shaft total is very long. Hard to haul in a vehicle. UNLESS you are going deep why not wait on the Equinox? The weight and durability are guaranteed to be better.

I think stability would be the issue because of the difficulty attaching the pod to the shaft. It’s possible to do it but if you look at Anderson shafts it might explain how to set up. You can always use it if you wore the pod on a strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see some good points...... shaft extender, hip mount the pod, and WAIT on the results of the EQ.

Yes I see some good ideas, just trying to save some dollars.
Just the postage for some of these items alone is up around the $100 mark from the US to Australia.
I would definitely be getting a knob guard .. old age has made me rather clumsy.

Also thinking about the Equinox .. just getting impatient like everyone else on the release date.Did read today that first Equinox detectors should be shipped from Australia to Europe at the end of next week.

Thanks for your help.

The gt shaft weighs a ton. Most economical route would be to ram an extender into the end of the shaft and mount it behind the elbow. Then drill the holes. Design it so the extension is removeable for easy transport or hip mounting.. Will take an hour or 2 to do it perfectly and 1 trip to the local hardware store. I would make you a skinny shaft but don't ha e the time or motivation this year.
You will probably want to buy a bunch of m6 nylon bolts... buy them too long and cut to the exact length you need. Butterfly nuts are gentler if you scrap up against them.

I thought I had seen someone here softening a 3/8" sheet of plexiglass with a torch and the shaping it into a knob guard. Itsaring???

R5

Hum.... will PVC fit in the back?

I was told yesterday that maybe fake news on that release date because EU wasnt aware of an early release date. Here apparently Chi town says they will be released at the same time....... but shipping days and each countries customs may delay some. Then they will determine who gets how many. Right now they dont know if any other size coils or phones will be available at release date. BUT..... if you are considering an EQ id water for sure. The machine has a lot of potential. The one thing that could hurt it ...... is if its programing/software gets watered down from the proto types.

Ya know .... i have a knob guard and used it briefly. Once i changed the ML knobs iv just not needed it and ive a lot of years now throwing mine around. Ivve got small fingers..... but hated getting in there to the knobs and just couldnt clean it without taking it on and off.

If you are handy you can make a small under the cuff setup for the control and battery pod to mount on with a piece of cpvc pipe, 3/4 inch i believe, and then mount that on your sov straight handle under where your forearm would be and be good to go.
I prefer an under the cuff mount like this as it remains a short machine and the balance is fine for me, plus it still fits in my car, having the pods out back makes the excal really long...

Hi ,
you need a tube of 6063 aluminum or a carbon 1050mm(or 750mm) long and an outer diameter of 22mm, an inner 19mm.
The rest can be done by yourself.
if necessary I will post a photo of my version of the decision

Ruslan.

I'm considering buying a new Excalibur II. Everyone has told me to get a straight shaft.
I have a complete spare straight Sovereign GT shaft .. would it be suitable to attach the controls to?

The long straight shaft with the extension for mounting the pod up and above your elbow is simply the bees-knees. It balances the coil so perfect, I felt less fatigued with it mounted than be removing the pod and waist mounting.

As others said,its length is cumbersome to transport. I totally agree, but the inconvenience is well worth it if you are hunting for 4+ hours at a time.

I understand the cost dilemma too. But buying the "right tool" for the job is no different than why you bought your Excal instead of a bounty hunter. lol. The investment is worth it....even if you have to duct-tape some home-made version until you can justify buying the real-deal.

I purchased a Balanced Straight Shaft from Plugger. We discussed what length of shaft I needed and I could not believe the difference in the balance when I put the Xcal on that shaft. It was worth the cost. I am an old rascal and the weight of the machine does not bother me at all. Its almost like it isn't there. Now the heat and the humidity in the summer is a different story. It beats me down in just a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom