Choosing a good area to hunt

Jeepfreak81

Hi all, I'm pretty new and actually really enjoy the research part of this hobby already. My question is, how do you know what's worth pursuing?

For example, I have located a 5 acre lot that is now town owned. Currently nothing there but trees, the river snakes around the property and a RR track crosses it with a bridge on each side. In addition, I found an old 1890's map that shows 4 buildings on the property belonging to a saw mill. However, I also found some info that suggested the buildings burnt down. Is this going to provide a lot of junk? Would you just head out there and investigate. Just wondering the angle of approach as I've never really done this before.

I am an avid Geocacher, so I'm familiar with other types of research for hiding caches and such. Open to thoughts and suggestions!

Welcome from NW PA. Sounds like a nice place to hunt. Bridge, RR crossing, river, mill buildings. Yes, you will find what some call trash, but the excitement is in what else might be found.

Welcome from the Hudson Valley! Sounds like a great spot, especially if you're prepared to explore it several times, with varying discrimination. At least you're less likely to dig up pull tabs -- iron from the 19th-early 20th century is still fun to find. Might get some areas where buried large iron objects will block you... Nice work on the research!

The only way you KNOW it's worth pursuing is to get out there and try and see what you find. Some of the spots I think have the best potential have been total duds and then I made some good finds in other areas that don't seem like they would even be worthwhile hitting. You just never know for certain. Research is a huge part and increases your odds but you just won't know until you go. Good luck and welocme aboard

Ya I can't wait for the snow to melt and the ground to thaw. I kind of figured this would be a decent spot to explore. I'm fairly certain I won't find any modern items there and that it's never been detected before. Hoping I can find more places like this.

With 5 acres to explore it could keep me busy for a while. Best part is that it's minutes from my house. I could even walk there right down the RR tracks in probably 20 minutes.

Hi all, I'm pretty new and actually really enjoy the research part of this hobby already. My question is, how do you know what's worth pursuing?

For example, I have located a 5 acre lot that is now town owned. Currently nothing there but trees, the river snakes around the property and a RR track crosses it with a bridge on each side. In addition, I found an old 1890's map that shows 4 buildings on the property belonging to a saw mill. However, I also found some info that suggested the buildings burnt down. Is this going to provide a lot of junk? Would you just head out there and investigate. Just wondering the angle of approach as I've never really done this before.

I am an avid Geocacher, so I'm familiar with other types of research for hiding caches and such. Open to thoughts and suggestions!

Yes, you'll find lots of junk, but there also may be some good finds hidden with them. If you found the site, odds are someone else has before you, but I wouldn't let that stop me from hunting it, as long as permission isn't an issue.

Start-out cherry-picking the better signals, see what turns-up, then go back and start digging other signals.

Yes, you'll find lots of junk, but there also may be some good finds hidden with them. If you found the site, odds are someone else has before you, but I wouldn't let that stop me from hunting it, as long as permission isn't an issue.

Start-out cherry-picking the better signals, see what turns-up, then go back and start digging other signals.
I am in an area with very few detectorists, so I'd actually be surprised if it's been hunted before. I really had to do some research to find out what used to be in this location too, not that somebody else hasn't also done that. The property is town owned and not posted, I still need to double check with the town for any metal detecting rules (if we have any) just to be sure. Then I'll be good to go.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

The property is town owned and not posted, I still need to double check with the town for any metal detecting rules (if we have any) just to be sure. Then I'll be good to go.

From what you describe, 'town owned, not posted' I think it would be best if you just go hunt it like you owned the place......talking to people is always a bad idea..Odds are not in your favor...just saying....

From what you describe, 'town owned, not posted' I think it would be best if you just go hunt it like you owned the place......talking to people is always a bad idea..Odds are not in your favor...just saying....
I wondered that, there's nothing in the town's rules/ordinances that say no metal detecting on town property. I think it's probably fair game

...there's nothing in the town's rules/ordinances that say no metal detecting on town property. I think it's probably fair game

That’s all I do for public/town owned properties - check the rules/regs/ordinances (usually available on-line) and check the location itself to confirm that the property itself isn’t posted. Whole process rarely takes more than 10 or 15 minutes. If those check out favorably, I swing away with no worries. You’ve got exactly the right idea, Jeepfreak.

Sounds like it's worth a try!

We do a lot of door knocking around here, lots of old farm homes, so that's another idea...3 out of 5 are a bust for me, not because they've been hunted, it's just that folks didn't have much to lose before the prosperity created after WWII.

One of the great attractions of this hobby is that you just never know what's gonna come out of the ground.

Sounds like a Great Spot to hunt. GET OUT THERE, we want to see pictures of your finds.

Sounds like a Great Spot to hunt. GET OUT THERE, we want to see pictures of your finds.
I'm anxiously awaiting the snow to melt and ground to thaw. Supposed to get 8-12" more of the White stuff tonight though.

Sounds awesome. As long as there are no trespassing signs, and it's owned by the city go for it and good luck. Pics, we like pics.;):yes:

Back
Top Bottom