Finding old picnic areas.

detectorben

Elite Member
I often hear of members having lots of luck at old "picnic areas". I am wondering if anyone can clarify what these areas are? Are we talking about old city parks with picnic tables? I have never heard anyone refer to an old picnic area or common hangout area that was not a city park in my area. Maybe we just don't have any such areas in Nebraska/Iowa?? If anyone could shed some light on what these areas are and give some tips on how to locate an area like this? I have spent a ton of time looking over historical maps and photos and have never come across an area like this that I know of.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

old picnic areas

I found out reading some of our cities history that what is now a city park was church grounds where they held their picnics and other church social functions. About 100 years ago the church donated a big chunk of this land to create a city park. I am now researching to try a narrow the search area down a little more there is a long creek around the area i plan to start around it. I have been making a few trips this winter just walking around with the dog to get a feel for the area.

In my case, picnic areas are in city parks. Years ago they actually had tables for the public to use. In one case, the picnic areas were not at an actual park, but a water supply reservoir used by the public as a park. There were several open areas for picnicking, but in the 1970s the areas became difficult to police because of drinking and vandalism and they were closed.

In my case, picnic areas are in city parks. Years ago they actually had tables for the public to use. In one case, the picnic areas were not at an actual park, but a water supply reservoir used by the public as a park. There were several open areas for picnicking, but in the 1970s the areas became difficult to police because of drinking and vandalism and they were closed.

Yep! Good info here! You just gotta think back 100yrs or so...see the terrain back through the fog of Time...Old RR trestles over a creek or river?...generally, downstream from the trestle, theres an old swimming hole/picnic/fishing spot...good thing about old trestles or bridges? Even a meandering creek has not left its bed below the structure for a little ways...Think horses and shade and water..old springs, edges of rock structures, southern exposures, whatnot...Big old trees too of course...

Humans are just like any other animal, they are naturally drawn to certain geographic and topographal structures more so than others...the age of the trash you find will lead you to the paydirt you are seeking.....Once you figure out Human preferences, its just a matter of building upon the knowledge you gained at one and extrapolating it over to the next.....

Thanks for the input fellas. I guess I just need to keep researching until I find some better intel[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom