what's considered a good "brick of pennies"?

stealer

Elite Member
i just tried to CRH with a brick of pennies (2500 pennies) and here are my results:

0 IH Pennies :no:
9 Wheat Pennies
4.5 lbs of Copper pennies (1959-1981)
Rest of em are normal memorials.

just wondering what the average for bricks are :)

I have never done CRH. I always forget to ask if any rolls of halves are available. I guess if the ground froze around here I might be more inclined...

My average for $25 box of pennies is 12-18 wheats,best is 57 wheats.Copper's I dump in a 5 gal bucket I get about the same as you sometimes more,sometimes less.

28-30% is good for copper. I got 7 wheats last night in 3 rolls. I think Loomis is better than Brinks, but that,s just my experience. Anything less than 18% isnt worth the copper effort unless you use a Ryedale. Times are tuff and people are throwing any and all into coinstars and bank sorting machines. Buying the right box/bag at the right time is where it is at.

Save your money on the coin sorter like Ryedale!

I CRH only halves now. I was doing pennies and accumulated 8-milk gallons of 1982 and prior copper. Luckily I was able to sell it on FlEbay for $40/half gallon. I made some money, but the copper is more effort than what it's worth...until they repeal the law put in place in 2006 which banned the melting of pennies for their copper value. I average 15-20 silver halves each week when I go through 4 boxes. Dimes are almost dried up in regards to silver...as are quarters. I like the war nickels as they have the highest value over face value, but finding war nickels is easier with a detector!

I just did a brick last night and landed 18 wheaties, 3 canadian, and a great surprise a 1895 Indian Head!! First ever found CRHing.... I usually net 12-22 wheats in a box.

I just did a brick last night and landed 18 wheaties, 3 canadian, and a great surprise a 1895 Indian Head!! First ever found CRHing.... I usually net 12-22 wheats in a box.
:shock: i was really hoping to get an indian head!!! lucky :D

I have found a better way to CRH...the little market across the street saves me anything that looks old....the main cashier is very good at spotting the goods, she got me 9.00 is 1940's silver dollars last weekend. If you have a little store around you, its worth it to ask, all they can say is no.

The average brick really depends on your location, the south and western states average in the 20%-25% copper range while the east and northeast will be in the higher 25%-30% range. A good brick to me is over 20 wheats, 25-30% copper (~5 lbs) and few odd ball coins like a canadian king or dove, or a couple foreign pennies. A great brick is more than 40 wheats and 30+% copper and about a dozen misc. keeper coins. I've been sorting for about a year and my best box ever was 35% copper and 96 wheats, which included about a dozen wheats in the teen years. I have yet to find a single IH while CRH.

I average 8-12 Wheats per brick. I usually get 2-3 canadian as well. I don't sort out the copper, but i do save "red" cents from the 1960's and any S-mint cents. If I had to estimate the Cu portion of my boxes, I'd say I'm seeing a little less than 25% with the rest being Zincolns.

1000th post!

Back
Top Bottom