I LOVE Windows VISTA!!!!

Belangers

Elite Member
Okay so with XP we never crashed in 2 years (not even once), and we never lost any files unintentionally. The computer itself was slow, and when we finally had the opportunity to upgrade to something faster we bought Vista OS. Ever since (about 6 months) we crash a minimum of 2 times a day, 6 times average (oh and not to mention the problems we have when installing new software, that's another forum post).

And so, the last crash proved fatal and we were forced to reformat the hard drive without having the opportunity to backup our files. We backup when folders are full enough to fill an entire CD. No chance that time. So we've lost all our pictures of our finds for the past 2 months. We only started metal detecting 2 months ago. I know we can retake the pictures, no biggie, but the thing was with our first pics everything was dated on paper background and we were making a diary of our progress which was supposed to be our first year MD'ing. Awe well.... at least Bill is comfy in his oversized mansion.:lol:

Did you do updates on your vista? I have had vista for 6 months now, I had a problem at first but updated and no more problems.

ugly

I have not heard one good word about vista.:mad: It seems awful if a person wants to buy a new putor he has to take the operating system with it.:no: There are some old but new machines available if you look in the right places. A friend recently found a brand new dell that came with millenia. Man thats 8 years old, but the hardware is new. loaded xp pro, pumped up the memory and wallah, brand new computor for around 300 bucks. granted they only do email and play games, so speed is not a big concern. The bugs should be fixed in vista about the time a yet newer and better system for more money comes our way from Bill the bil...:roll:....Gil

Did you do updates on your vista? I have had vista for 6 months now, I had a problem at first but updated and no more problems.

Yes, our setting is on "automatic updates" at all times, and we know very well how to perform maintance on our system so it's not an user-end problem.

Last night it downloaded the "Vista Service Pack" so I hope that helps. If Vista was such a good OS there would be no need for a "service pack" to begin with. Today it hasn't crashed yet, but time will tell. Never in my life have I had this much trouble with an operating system. It's been nothing short of a nightmare. Next time around we are going back to XP... it really is the best of all the windows evils. Or better yet, Apple.

We made another partition on our hard drives and installed Linux Mint. Bye Bye Windows.

C's, you're not alone. I've heard a bunch of reports lately of systems crashing due to the new Service Pack. However myself, I've had Vista Business on my desktop since the summer of 2007, and haven't had one problem. NOT ONE. I only have two gripes about Vista... it tries to be too secure for it's own good. Even as the system Admin it always confirms executables and is just a PITA. Second, the file structure. Their changed their directory structure, WHY!? Things are no longer in the same places we have all grown to know and love. But anyhow, I think Vista is great. It just takes the time to make sure (especially if you upgraded from XP) that your system is fully compatible with Vista, ie graphics cards (and its drivers), sound cards (and it drivers)... that all of your drivers for peripherals are Vista compatible (many mfg's still don't have updated Vista drivers for printers, camera, etc). One small kink in the chain and Vista falls onto itself quite often. I've built computers fro, the ground up, my degree is computers, and I sit in front of one ALL day. You don't have to take my word for it, but IMO Vista rocks!

I'm still with XP, if I want Vista it'll mean upgrading my machine.

I run two hard drives, both in removable caddies (only one working at a time).

I then use "Clone" on Ghost to do a copy of my drive, once every couple of weeks.

Even when your drive crashes you shouldn't lose any data, it'll still be there.
Well, until you reformat it anyway. Re installing windows usually does the trick, it keeps all your data intact.

There are lots of handy tips on this website : http://www.annoyances.org/

I'm still with XP, if I want Vista it'll mean upgrading my machine.

I run two hard drives, both in removable caddies (only one working at a time).

I then use "Clone" on Ghost to do a copy of my drive, once every couple of weeks.

Even when your drive crashes you shouldn't lose any data, it'll still be there.
Well, until you reformat it anyway. Re installing windows usually does the trick, it keeps all your data intact.

There are lots of handy tips on this website : http://www.annoyances.org/

A great point Alan. If you have tons of stuff you don't want to lose, at the very least buy an external HDD, like let's say a Maxtor OneTouch, that with a press of the drive it initializes a backup specified by you. It's too easy to not lose files these days. There are online backup options as well, like XDrive.

I liked XP, and thought it ran very well, but when I bought a new laptop in March, it came with Vista, and I was a little worried because of all the bad things I had heard about it, but I haven't had any problems with it, and now like it just as much as XP.

I believe that Vista is a little more fussy about the software you run on it, so I'm told anyway.
Especially if it's Microsoft software which isn't quite 100% .....:roll:

.......Even when your drive crashes you shouldn't lose any data, it'll still be there......

Thanks for the link. Yes of course the data is aways there. However, we had a fatal crash meaning that the software would not start up at all, an the error message upon start up read "fatal error, windows cannot start". So with that said, we were forced to reformat to factory condition and lose everything. It did not even give us the option to save anything first. An external hard drive will probably be the way we'll go, or like Carol mentioned partioning and installing a different OS altogether.

I'm very happy for those that have no problems with Vista at all, how fortunate is that? Still, the next time we are ready to buy a new computer it will have XP or we'll chose Apple. No more of this hooeyness.:lol:

Unfortunate for you, I believe Microsoft is haulting sales of XP in a few months. But anyway, I suggest you do one thing. Download a copy of Knoppix. It's a LiveCD run of Linux that if you Wondows OS is not booting, you can throw the disc in, boot from CD, and run Linux off the CD w/o installing anything. It's great to get in there and maybe do a disk cleanup or an fdisk or some other tool to fix your Vista. It worked like a charm when two of my HDDs died when I had XP... could work in this case too. LiveCD Linux is gods gift to PC problem solving!

Thanks for the link. Yes of course the data is aways there. However, we had a fatal crash meaning that the software would not start up at all, an the error message upon start up read "fatal error, windows cannot start". So with that said, we were forced to reformat to factory condition and lose everything. It did not even give us the option to save anything first. An external hard drive will probably be the way we'll go, or like Carol mentioned partioning and installing a different OS altogether.

I'm very happy for those that have no problems with Vista at all, how fortunate is that? Still, the next time we are ready to buy a new computer it will have XP or we'll chose Apple. No more of this hooeyness.:lol:

Next time that happens, and if you don't have a backup, simply remove the hard drive from the PC and use an external drive case to connect it to another computer via the USB port. You can get them online or at your local Circuit City, or at any other electronics store. Just make sure to get one for the drive you own, EIDE or SATA.

Once you plug it into an available USB port, the other computer's OS will recognize it as an external drive and will assign it a letter, allowing you to browse and recover your files. If the files are not viewable, you still have the opportunity to use software utilities to recover most if not all of the deleted or unreadable files.

Next time that happens, and if you don't have a backup, simply remove the hard drive from the PC and use an external drive case to connect it to another computer via the USB port. You can get them online or at your local Circuit City, or at any other electronics store. Just make sure to get one for the drive you own, EIDE or SATA.

Once you plug it into an available USB port, the other computer's OS will recognize it as an external drive and will assign it a letter, allowing you to browse and recover your files. If the files are not viewable, you still have the opportunity to use software utilities to recover most if not all of the deleted or unreadable files.

exactly.gif

Quick fix, and saves all your info!

Do you know Kanotix?

Solved a lot of problems if I had trouble to get back files after a WIN crash...
Kanotix is a very power & useful Linux based operating system. Bootable life cd...will detect hard drives, USB-drives...as easy as an installed Windows.

Back
Top Bottom