First Hunt Since 1983 - New Member

patricka

Returning to the hobby since I was 13 years old back in 1983. Spent many hours in the late 1970s/early 1980s swinging a simple Compass metal detector finding most coint types from large cents up to walking liberty halves in the small northern Illinois town I grew up in. So after a 25 year hiatus I have decided to return to the hobby. To be honest, many of the forum's such as this one have lured me back.

So I bought a Fisher F70 this past Saturday. On Sunday I headed to a park on the north side of Chicago where I now live. I figured the park had probably been well hunted over the years but decided to give it try and get use to the feel of my new machine. To my surprise someone was already hunting the wood chip tot lot part of the park when I pulled up at 6:30 a.m.

I pretty much used the factory settings in program 1 except I turned the discrimination way up to just below zinc to eliminate the trash and just get used to my new machine. The F70 was pretty easy to use. In about 2 hours I found 36 modern coins dating from 1960 to 2008 (pennies, dimes and quarters) and found from sitting on the surface down to about 4 inches.

My adrelanine started going a little bit when I dug a 1946 wheatie which was buried about 7 inches. Those old feelings of excitement returned. My last hole of the day turned out to be a nice 1917 wheatie at about 5 inches. After that find I am now totally hooked.

I probably only covered one tenth of the area of the park and I will definately be headed back. I look forward to future hunts throughout the Chicago area and returning to my old hunting grounds when I go home to visit family in northwest Illinois. When I got home, my wife asked me if I found anything good. I proudly proclaimed my trophy 1917 penny. She responded, "That's neat, how valuable is that?" "Well....about 3 cents." I responded. I then got one of those looks. She will probably have me committed by the end of the summer.

Look forward to posting more finds. The F70 is a nice machine and I look forward to playing around with the settings, finding deeper targets and notching back in nickels.

Welcome to our family. Things have changed a lot over the years. Detectors have gotten much better and easier to use. Finding an old wheat penny on your first outing with the new machine was great. Next comes the silver and gold. Good luck. We are looking forward to your posts of the finds.:yes:

Welcome to the forum! You did pretty well for not hunting in such a long time, and having a new machine.

Back
Top Bottom