Tesoro 10x12 concentric or 10x12 DD coil?

TeamRelic

About to get the tesoro outlaw, and already have the 10x12 concentric and the 5.75 coil. Should I just get the Outlaw with the standard coil or the coil package? How does the 10x12 concentric compare to the DD?

About to get the tesoro outlaw, and already have the 10x12 concentric and the 5.75 coil. Should I just get the Outlaw with the standard coil or the coil package? How does the 10x12 concentric compare to the DD?

I would get the 3 coil package.

You get rods for each coil.
You get not only that DD coil but the other 2 at prices you could not match buying them separately, and can sell your "extras" if you wanted to.
You cannot buy a Tesoro 5 pin 10X12 DD coil aftermarket from what I can see...so far.

I also love that long scanning field on the DD, don't like how high end pop tops sound sound and act like quarters, (on my Vaquero), but the benefits outweigh this problem.

I usually use mine when I want to cover large wide open areas in some parks that I hunt, and I always get the feeling that it is finding everything there is to find with that wide field, even if in real life there is always the chance I actually might miss something.
I hate that "what if" feeling.
If you do miss something you have to work at it because it really does seem to cover a lot of ground very efficiently.
I suppose the clean sweep coil can do this too, but with a little less depth from what I have read, but I have no experience using that one.

All I can say is I was out in a large field swinging very wildly moving very fast with my Vaq and the DD coil looking for a "Hail Mary" signal once and I was lucky enough to have hit one thanks to the speed of my Vaq and that big coil that I am not so sure would have happened if I had a concentric on board.

5.6 grams of 14k in a nice ring that paid for that coil in one shot.

If you have some mineralization going on in your area that is also another good reason to get the package with that coil.

If you don't like using your big concentric, it is unlikely that having the same size in DD will change things for you. If you honestly doubt that you will use it, and only you can answer that, then get the cheaper package.

I want the 12x10" DD because I operate in areas that are often low on targets, so I want as much coverage as possible. The DD requires less over lap and hence allows you to cover more ground. The downside is that they suck at pin pointing, don't go as deep as the concentric, and are less accurate for target ID. The DD is also 75% less effected by ground mineralization - making it a good choice in bad ground.

I can tell you that neither my 10 x 12 DD or my 11" round DD can discriminate bottletops, but even my large concentrics can. My cleansweep can as well, discriminates almost as well as a concentric.

If you want to keep discriminating efficiently, get concentrics or a small DD or a cleansweep, if you're looking for deep objects in dry dirt, a large DD is the go.

I can tell you that neither my 10 x 12 DD or my 11" round DD can discriminate bottletops, but even my large concentrics can. My cleansweep can as well, discriminates almost as well as a concentric.

Good info there... I was wondering why in the heck a big DD coil that I own was a steel bottle cap magnet :) Evidently it is just the nature of the beast when using standard DD coils.

Good info there... I was wondering why in the heck a big DD coil that I own was a steel bottle cap magnet :) Evidently it is just the nature of the beast when using standard DD coils.

I have never read about any one on any brand that wasn't.
There is a trade off for that longer field that is better in mineralization...less sharpness on the disc high end.

I had been using a Golden umax that went down and off for repairs. So I used a Cibola with DD coil and later a Silver umax with a DD coil and was trying to figure out why my Golden did such an awesome job on the steel bottle caps.

Because of Right Brain's post, I finally understand that it was coil technology and the less precise target ID that was causing the discrimination to fail. Gotta post my DUH - DUH - AAAAHHHHHAAAA moments too and give props when they are due...

Back
Top Bottom