Can you just hunt anywhere?

bryank333

I know you cant hunt battlefields and state parks but what about schools, local parks, soccer & baseball feilds? Whats the (rule)? Im a newbie and need to know this before i get a trespassing ticket or even worse. Thanks for all the help. Bryan

Bryan,
This is a very difficult question to answer. This site has several good threads on the subject. The best advice is to check with your local parks and recreation department and see if MD'ing is legal. Same with the schools. Some cities require a permit. Here in Boise, you have to take a recovery test and get certified before they issue a permit. Always ask permission... But, yes, schools and parks are usually open to the public. Stick to the MD'ing code of ethics and be nice to everybody and you'll always be welcomed back.

Good luck!

Bryan,

I'll just pass along some info about the area I live in (northern California, south SF Bay area).

State parks can be hunted with specific permission from the park office. Usually they limit you to certain areas, but will let you hunt.

Santa Clara County (basically Silicone Valley) park hunting requires a permit. I have one.

San Jose city parks (tons of em) require another permit, even though SJ is in Santa Clara county. I have one.

Beaches (Santa Cruz, etc) don't require permits.

I live in a very foo-foo town (Los Gatos). I checked the local ordinances on the web and found nothing forbidding hunting in LG city parks. However, I stopped by the police station and had a friendly chat with the police chief...explaining code of ethics, etc. He said..."no problem".

I think the keys to being left alone are:

1. Leave the place better than you found it...see my post in the Featured Threads at the top of the main forum page.

2. Be friendly with the groundskeeper folks. You may have a permit/permission/etc, but if they want to cause difficulty...they can.

3. Avoid complaints from other park visitors. For example: Don't start detecting in the middle of a family gathering...return the next day for their loot.

4. Dress nicely in parks. Stupid as it may sound, if you are detecting around a soccer mom with a couple of rug-rats looking like you just crawled out from under an overpass...you're gonna get complaints.

All that said, I've gotten some of my best local intel from park rangers, groundskeepers, and even visitors. All you gotta do is act civil and most folks will treat you well. Of course, there's bound to be a "one bullet Barney" mixed in, but just smile and remain courteous.

John

I carry around dangerous objects I have found so I can show people the public service I have provided if someone asks.

You might also check with your city to see if their is an ordinance agains metal detecting on city property, and see if the parks are owned by the city. Some empty lots in your city may be owned by the city as well, and if their isn't an ordinance against MD'ing, you should be good to go, as long as you are responsible and cover your holes neatly. Good luck!
GiGi

Back
Top Bottom