Digging in and around gravel driveways...Any suggestions

Rbrackett

I live in a home built in 1900. The lay of the land suggests the driveway has always been where it currently is. It has, sometime in its life, had gravel dumped in.
I've had several choice funds there but digging is a major pain in the kiester.

Any suggestions? Tools?

I have a 31" sampson and also the lesche hand digger. If I hit gravel I use the sharp point of the lesche to "pick" through the gravel pieces and loosen it up until I can scoop it out.

I have a 31" sampson and also the lesche hand digger. If I hit gravel I use the sharp point of the lesche to "pick" through the gravel pieces and loosen it up until I can scoop it out.

Stick the sharp point in, or use a flathead screwdriver, and use a twisting motion to loosen the gravel. Don't try to dig straight down until the gravel is loose.

With the 31" sampson I've found that I can--from my knees--dig through the gravel sideways at a shallow angle. I had a permission where perhaps 2/3 of the property was 6-8 inches of gravel under about 2 inches of topsoil. The finds were in the gravel and below. From my knees I would start out farther away from the target than usual (to avoid hitting it) and firmly jab the shovel sideways at a shallow angle into the gravel/dirt. The gravel could move up since the shovel was forcing it where there was no resistance. A few more sideways jabs and it was plenty loose in the center to use the smaller tools.

Back
Top Bottom