A very odd Indian Head Cent

teotwawki12

Elite Member
Today was a bit of a fight to get over good stuff. Started out at a field which I thought had yet to be planted but now has beans in it. The farmer told me to go ahead; he wasn't worried about me ruining his crop. Last time I was there I got over some great things in no time....today I couldn't find anything. I had to believe that I was getting bad karma from a pair of redwing blackbirds (who we shall call Eustace and Marge). Apparently I was near their nest and Marge was making all kinds of racket...Eustace kept flying over my head and making it known that I wasn't welcome. Then he'd sit in a bush and glare for a bit, only to come back and dive bomb some more. And the field?? I'm getting stuff like an emerald green 1964 memorial cent (what?? they aren't supposed to be green like that!!) and a nice shiny silver fork on the surface that turns out to be stainless.. This isn't happening today, so I moved on.

...to an old abandoned house I had permission to detect. It didn't appear particularly old, but what the hay.. After digging 1980's clad coins for a bit, and feeling a little discouraged, I noticed my hand trowel was missing from its sheath... nowhere to be found. Gotta be back at the field about 15 miles away...….so back we go.

Eustace and Marge were less than pleased to see I was back. I moved a little further from their shrub nearer where the back yard once was. They sat and glared but no more dive-bombing.

There wasn't a whole lot of time left in the day, so I gave the field another shot rather than trying another spot. Slowly and patiently I worked, and came up with some horse-tack buckles... and a few more pieces of a broken up cap gun I always seem to find at this spot. At least now I know it was a "Kilgore" and I have the hammer! Last time I found both handle plates. Should have kept these pieces together and tried to glue it back into one piece....

The big brass thing reading "Beckwith's Round Oak" appears to have come off an old stove...thought that was pretty cool..

And that "Indian Head Cent"?? Well, it was on the surface and ringing pretty low (a steady 15 on the Equinox). I had to look at it for a bit to figure out what the heck I was holding. And it turns out to be (I believe) lead with the mirror image of an indian head penny! Somebody must have been playing with melted lead and made this thing a long time ago.... It's 18-something; I can't quite read the last two digits. Very strange. And very cool!

Attachments

• KIMG1455.jpg
    KIMG1455.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 538
  • KIMG1458.jpg
    KIMG1458.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 476
  • KIMG1461.jpg
    KIMG1461.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 520
  • KIMG1466.jpg
    KIMG1466.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 485
  • KIMG1467.jpg
    KIMG1467.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 489
  • KIMG1459.jpg
    KIMG1459.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 480
  • KIMG1460.jpg
    KIMG1460.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 479
  • KIMG1468.jpg
    KIMG1468.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 493
  • KIMG1469.jpg
    KIMG1469.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 503
  • KIMG1462.jpg
    KIMG1462.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 489
  • KIMG1463.jpg
    KIMG1463.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 486
  • KIMG1465.jpg
    KIMG1465.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 471
  • KIMG1470.jpg
    KIMG1470.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 497
  • KIMG1464.jpg
    KIMG1464.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 492
  • DSCN0511.jpg
    DSCN0511.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 494
  • DSCN0512.jpg
    DSCN0512.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 490
Very cool. I like finding old DIY objects!

When I read the title I thought perhaps you had found one of the old tokens that look like an IHP.

Nice batch of finds, teotw! I like the perseverance, invading Eustace and Marge’s space a second time and eeking out some goodies. The Beckwith Round Oak heating stove piece is very cool! I’m sure you won’t be surprised to hear that I actually found a Round Oak item in one of my farm fields about a year ago - a lapel pin with an Indian head motif.

The oddball lead Indian head cent imprint is awesome - fantastic, unique find!

Gotta know - Eustace and Marge....are their namesakes in-laws by any chance? :lol:

Nice variety of finds. The lead Indian cent might be a game counter, I have seen some on here with V nickels. It could be a poor attempt at a counterfeit.

Nice batch of finds, teotw! I like the perseverance, invading Eustace and Marge’s space a second time and eeking out some goodies. The Beckwith Round Oak heating stove piece is very cool! I’m sure you won’t be surprised to hear that I actually found a Round Oak item in one of my farm fields about a year ago - a lapel pin with an Indian head motif.

The oddball lead Indian head cent imprint is awesome - fantastic, unique find!

Gotta know - Eustace and Marge....are their namesakes in-laws by any chance? :lol:

Huh....imagine that....you found a round oak item and also old coin art....

And the names were random, I was thinking of the annoying old guy from the show Mountain Men complaining about people being on his land....

Nice variety of finds. The lead Indian cent might be a game counter, I have seen some on here with V nickels. It could be a poor attempt at a counterfeit.

I was thinking about it being a counterfeit made by a simple-minded fella...kinda like those trucks you see where the guy decides to paint a camo pattern and sprays around a maple leaf instead of cutting out a stencil of the leaf.....

Nice essay.. love the overhead bird shot..interesting finds! Like the name choice.

Back
Top Bottom