Anyone ride a motorcycle?

I don't have a motorcycle myself, but perhaps you can make a holder out of large PVC pipe, maybe something similar to this fishing rod carrier for motorcycles I just saw online -
bikestuff.jpg

I rode this thing for a while LOL

1d4d9a32c291e887690617d806531b8d.jpg

Just a winter project from a few years ago. I took a mini bike and put a 6hp go kart race motor. I think it was pushing 8hp after I got done with it. I clocked it a 38mph with snow blower tires. It made all the neighbor kids jealous. Man that was a fun project.

if your detector has a two peice shaft you can break it into two parts and drop them into a backpack fairly easy. I have done this and it works okay, just rewind your coil cable and leave enough loose cable near the connecter to slide the peices apart and back together, then tape the cable down to the shafts on each side so that it doesn't unwind on you every time. you should be able to get everything you need into a decent pack plus have room for hauling home the goodies. may not be the best solution but it will get you there.

Thanks for your input everyone. Ill have to play around with some different things. For now probably roll with the back pack. That mini bike looks like a ton of fun!

I sometimes use my bicycle to get to some places that aren't too far from home. I either put the detector over the handle bars, or I take it apart and put it in a back pack.

You could try attaching your detector to your back with a strap. I haven't tried it, but I've heard some people have done this

This got me thinking, I was at Walmart and saw walking cane. 15 dollars, the outside and inside diameter of the larger tube is the same as a
Tesoro. Mounted the Compadre head on it and slipped the lower tube with coil in it. Perfect fit. You lose the arm brace, but if you swing closer to your feet it's not bad. Used a piece of paracord and tied a loop on each end to swing it over my shoulder. Worked pretty good for a test ride and hunt. I am going to get some webbing for more comfort. Paracord is too thin.
when you get to the hunt just pop off cord, extend and go. I hope this helps you. joe

Look up the MarsMD metal detector shaft, you could probably put your metal detector in a backpack and carry it with you while you're on your motorcycle

Thats actually a hell of an idea! Brother Choppadude did a post back in Jan 19th about fabbing up a Mars shaft for an AtPro ...Motorcycle hunting, with a light backpacked fast breakdown rig would be the absolute bomb! Talk about fast access and a great ROI!

I think we all gotta start looking at hunting off a motorcycle for fast easy clad runs or something...instead of driving the car, a guy can get some high mileage and minimize the expense!!...zip zoom! Biggest thing was a guy dont want a lot of weight up high on two wheels, so yeah..something light and fast..Great topic!

Backpacks are a BAD idea!
Getting in a wreck with something strapped to your back that isn't designed to be there for protection is just asking to have your back broken. I know people that have had it happen.

Backpacks are a BAD idea!
Getting in a wreck with something strapped to your back that isn't designed to be there for protection is just asking to have your back broken. I know people that have had it happen.

I agree..as a two wheeler for many years, a guy dont want any weight at all up high..it throws off the center of gravity, and there like NO in between getting a guy out of a fast dodge or emergency...If a guy took it easy though..I can see detecting off a low Hp bike would have an ROI benefit...

I'd say the backpack is the best bet. Many md companies actually make backpacks designed for carrying mds and all the equipment you will need for a hunt.

Thanks for all the feedback. Im gonna mess with some things on my day off. I ride to and from work with a backpack everyday. Might as well throw the detector in and stop for a hunt on the way home. See how it goes.

I break my shaft down and bundle it with my digging tool. I hold the pieces together in a bundle and use one cinch strap to hold them to the moto. My coil goes into the "frunk" of my moto. The frunk (front trunk) is a lidded compartment large enough to hold a helmet that sits where gas tanks are normally found on a motorcycle.

I've probably put over a 100,00 miles on motorcycles in the past. I finally quit after several friends were killed because today's drivers don't look out for them. a friend told me that I was just a coward and he got hit a week later. I broke down my detectors and carried them in a back pack. There was room for my digger, head phones, pin pointer and anything else I needed. I was only going detecting and not making a long trip so I took it easy and never had any problems. You just had to act like every car on the road was going to try and hit you.

Back
Top Bottom