Metalic Rock

fraustydigger

Found it at the beach this weekend, it shows up as iron, on the BHD discovery 3300, and the number is normally 4 or 6. It is kind of charcoal looking, but layered from the side, and we found a piece about the size of my palm and another 1in long or so. It's pretty light also.

I'll get a picture of it up in a bit, but I'm wondering what is is. If it's a chunk of rock it shouldn't be giving a reading, so it has some metal in it.

Possibly a type of lodestone? Detectors work on meganetic fields right? A lodestone would surely register.

If you found it on a beach, then it's probably a hot rock!

(nope, sorry, don't know the composition, but our XLT found alot of them)

Found it at the beach this weekend, it shows up as iron, on the BHD discovery 3300, and the number is normally 4 or 6. It is kind of charcoal looking, but layered from the side, and we found a piece about the size of my palm and another 1in long or so. It's pretty light also.

I'll get a picture of it up in a bit, but I'm wondering what is is. If it's a chunk of rock it shouldn't be giving a reading, so it has some metal in it.

I have 2 beaches I hunt that are loaded with hotrocks they sure sound good under the coil ;)

What would a hot rock be? I thought meteorite at first, but not after finding a piece of another, and reading up how rare they are too find.

Hot Rocks

I'ld be interested in a pic when you can. I found one in my backyard a couple months back. Looked just like an ordinary grey colored piece of stone but it clung to the little parts magnet I was using to pick out the iron signal I got on my Ace 250...no rust color in it at all. Also found some other large rocks of mixed minerals that gave off strong signals. My property is basically a gravel bed (I believe the geological term is: "glacial morraine").

Rick C.

Funny this topic comes up. This weekend I was camping on the river and while we were around the fireplace we saw a nice meteor dart across the sky. Super bright and it lasted roughly 10-15 seconds as it moved fairly slowly across the sky. The very next day I was detecting the beach and I also came across a black stone that is too layered. I'll get a photo when I get back to the house after work.

Here's some pics of it. It's shiny metallic layered and flaky, although you can't break it easily.

Attachments

• DSCN4498.gif
    DSCN4498.gif
    132.9 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCN4500.jpg
    DSCN4500.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 286
Hrm I didn't think about it being coke. Very interesting. I'll try to get a picture up sometime but I'm finding it hard to sit down at a computer. Always out and about. :)

There is a form of Hematite (an iron oxide) that has a shiny, flaky appearance called specular hematite. I can't tell right off hand if that's what you have, or not.

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom