Serious Vandalism in North Carolina Park (Help Needed?)

Dirt Nuker

Elite Member
Jackson County, North Carolina

Some jackass has been hammering in nails into embedded tree roots on hiking trails. Apparently they have tried to clear the trail with metal detectors but I doubt they would refuse any extra help that might live near the area.

Here's the story:

SYLVA - The 1,100-acre Pinnacle Park in Jackson County remains closed after a runner's foot was impaled by a nail purposely placed on a popular trail that leads to the Black Rock Summit.

Brian Barwatt, an engineer with the Department of Transportation, and the race director of the Assault on Black Rock, a trail race in Pinnacle Park in March, was at the park Monday with the Sylva police chief Davis Woodard, town maintenance workers and other volunteers scouting out more nails.

Since Saturday, 40 nails hammered into tree roots and logs have been found, Barwatt said.

“On Saturday we found eight in an isolated area and thought we had it contained, but when we explored more, we found it was more than we could handle ourselves and I called the police chief,” Barwatt said.

“We’re literally blowing every leaf off trail, and following behind with metal detectors. “It was a deliberate effort. Someone hammered 4-inch long galvanized nails and left them sticking out a half- to 1 inch, and at an angle so they’re like spikes.”

One person was hurt and another stepped on a nail that went through his shoe but didn’t hurt his foot.

“It’s hard to believe someone would do this and put a lot of effort in to doing this,” Barwatt said.

The East Fork and West Fork trails, each 3.5 miles long, lead to the Black Rock summit on mixed gravel road and single track terrain, completely surrounded by woods in a remote area of town.

I hope they catch'em. Cowardly bas------, it only takes one to ruin it for everyone. Just my thoughts. If you live close and are physically able it would speak well of our hobby. joe

I do NOT understand the reasoning behind this effort? Who on Earth would do such a thing? Did this person hate joggers or trail runners or mountain bikers? Theres some sort of axe to grind here...Although, In defense, Kudos for using the galvanized spiral deck nails though, and not those damned common 4" ring shanks..Lord!

A guy would have to try to figure out the backstory of this effort? To track down the perp? Nobody would just go out and do this as a hobby? Too much effort involved...something is up here...Some local crazy dont want anybody out on those trails....Let us know..

I find it odd someone would go through the effort to ensure others suffering. Too bad they cant spend effort and time on something good rather than causing harm to others.

At least this can shed some good light on the metal detecting hobby

I'm with ya on hope ing this guy gets stopped . They should nail both his feet to a tree. Same guy probably sets cats on fire u less he's a tree hugger thinking we're destroying nature . What a miserable excuse for a human , hope they set up some trail cams . HH

That is sad indeed.

Nothing would justify what they did, but what would be their motivation ?

Are they trying to discourage hikers in that area to minimize potential witnesses to illegal activity they're doing ?

Was the person upset at someone they know hikes in that area ?

Or are they just a twisted person who enjoys hurting others ?

Trail cams was a good idea, maybe check the closest hardware stores to see if someone came in recently just to buy that specific type of nail, interview people who hike there regularly to see if anyone noticed someone who didn't seem like a hiker.

I'm not defending whoever did this whatsoever, but there are some freaking rude bikers out there. We have 18 miles of greenbelt right behind my alley, basically high power lines running through some flood plains. There are bike/walking trails all throughout this area, splitting off into several different sections and re-emerging together.

There's been times where the bikers don't even slow down when passing on a small path, barely wide enough to scoot off the direct path so they can pass. Other times where the fly up behind you and say nothing as you're walking, and I've even had one run flat into me because he expected the right of way and I didn't see him. Dude, I'm walking here...he has to yield, not me, or at the least slow down to safely pass. I've also seen 3 of them CareFlighted out of there by helicopter to the nearest emergency room for taking chances and being careless.

I hate to say it, but just like with our hobby of hunting public property and knowing we are in the right to hunt there, there is an ego that goes along with some of these "hardcore" bikers. They think they own these paths, and they don't. We all do, walkers and bikers. Many of which, you can tell from comments they spout as flying by, don't want walkers back there. I often take my boys back there for several hour long hikes, and constantly have to be on the lookout for bikers flying up on us.

A little effort to make space and pass safely and peacefully would go a long way, but some don't want to slow down for whole 3 seconds it would take to allow such a pass. There are no doubt nice bikers that do slow down and even stop, say hi or something and allow safe pass, but there are others who do not or won't stop and also say nothing even when flying up behind you at about 20mph...and that's dangerous. You can't hear much to be aware of them on just those 2 thin wheels contacting the dirt behind you coming up fast, many too fast for them to even stop safely.

I'm not defending whoever did this whatsoever, but there are some freaking rude bikers out there. We have 18 miles of greenbelt right behind my alley, basically high power lines running through some flood plains. There are bike/walking trails all throughout this area, splitting off into several different sections and re-emerging together.

There's been times where the bikers don't even slow down when passing on a small path, barely wide enough to scoot off the direct path so they can pass. Other times where the fly up behind you and say nothing as you're walking, and I've even had one run flat into me because he expected the right of way and I didn't see him. Dude, I'm walking here...he has to yield, not me, or at the least slow down to safely pass. I've also seen 3 of them CareFlighted out of there by helicopter to the nearest emergency room for taking chances and being careless.

I hate to say it, but just like with our hobby of hunting public property and knowing we are in the right to hunt there, there is an ego that goes along with some of these "hardcore" bikers. They think they own these paths, and they don't. We all do, walkers and bikers. Many of which, you can tell from comments they spout as flying by, don't want walkers back there. I often take my boys back there for several hour long hikes, and constantly have to be on the lookout for bikers flying up on us.

A little effort to make space and pass safely and peacefully would go a long way, but some don't want to slow down for whole 3 seconds it would take to allow such a pass. There are no doubt nice bikers that do slow down and even stop, say hi or something and allow safe pass, but there are others who do not or won't stop and also say nothing even when flying up behind you at about 20mph...and that's dangerous. You can't hear much to be aware of them on just those 2 thin wheels contacting the dirt behind you coming up fast, many too fast for them to even stop safely.

Maybe you could suggest to the department that covers that area that clearly marked "speed bumps" need to be placed every so often like they do in residential parking lots, at least that might help some.

Maybe you could suggest to the department that covers that area that clearly marked "speed bumps" need to be placed every so often like they do in residential parking lots, at least that might help some.

It's the parks and rec dept that mows the fields, but the wooded area is a "designated greenbelt" like a preserve area where nothing can be removed or added to. I've offered to help clean up the downed trees (free firewood) but was told it was prohibited. These guys fly over downed 2ft thick trunks of trees that other bikers have added mud banks on both sides for up/down and over it. Speed bumps ain't going to do nothing. They can't even widen the trails. It is what it is, it's just a respect issue just like our hobby. And unfortunately there are some of us out there that give it a bad name.

I'm just giving an example of the thought process the guy who planted these traps may have had, although not right by any means. Just perspective basically.

I do have to say, I am not totally "innocent" of having fun down there in the greenbelt though. Even though "motor vehicles" are prohibited, I might just have a Yamaha Raptor that has been observed in those open fields a few times running a track I created with berms on the ends, dug out from the tires. I can get to it straight from my garage without crossing any trails though, so that doesn't really count. :razz:

Last edited:
As a runner who was recently impaled by a metal rod sticking out of the ground, I feel for the victim. It cost me untold pain and kept me out of work for 3 weeks.
The foot is not a good place for that type of injury as infection is almost garanteed. I am hoping the catch these low life's and they pay for this crime.

Glad to see this story is getting a little traction here. Any chance a local club or individual volunteers can try to help out a bit? I'll bet a little effort might open up some spots to volunteers that might normally be off-limits.

The article mentions an upcoming trail race. I'll wager this was meant to disrupt the event at the expense of innocent runners.

Here is the contact information if anyone is interested in seeing if they need any help. Don't wait. The race is in about three weeks and they'll probably want some assurance the trail is clear so it goes off without a hitch.

Nick Breedlove, Director
Jackson County Tourism Development Authority
Phone: 828-848-8711
[email protected]

Glad to see this story is getting a little traction here. Any chance a local club or individual volunteers can try to help out a bit? I'll bet a little effort might open up some spots to volunteers that might normally be off-limits.

The article mentions an upcoming trail race. I'll wager this was meant to disrupt the event at the expense of innocent runners.

Here is the contact information if anyone is interested in seeing if they need any help. Don't wait. The race is in about three weeks and they'll probably want some assurance the trail is clear so it goes off without a hitch.

Nick Breedlove, Director
Jackson County Tourism Development Authority
Phone: 828-848-8711
[email protected]

That would be sad if it was a runner (with steel bottom shoes ?) who did that to deter their competition.

There are some sick people in the world. There is no excuse for actions like this and I hope they catch the perp.

Maybe time for someone to install a hidden IR critter cam like those used by hunters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is wrong with people? Same kinda thing was happening around here awhile back but it was razor blades placed in parks and sand boxes at playgrounds. Hope they find the person responsible.

Back
Top Bottom