Ok Relic guys what is this?

coyoteslayer

This was found while dredging here in Northern Ca while chasing after gold this was found on top of a clay layer in the creek bed.
31May08button11.jpg

Wow, very neat find! Looks like a war medal or pin.....would say it was from the Confederate war, but seeing as you're in California.:roll:HH
NC

I was the one that dredge this relic up. This mining district dates back to 1850 and mined heavy throughout the turn of the century, and again in the great depression. Seems to be made of copper, I clean off the green oxidation. Being a retired USAF guy, I don't think it's a medal because the Eagle would be sideways from the tab on the side. This relic is concaved and would like to know what it is, before I sell it.

Lucky

The reverse side is the same as the front. I don't know what they used...a press or a stamp.

I'm glad this is back on the East side of our Country. Not to many CW battle sites out this way. Being a gold prospector using a suction dredge and metal detector, I often find musket balls and many other items from the old 49er's.

Many thanks for your continued help in IDing this item. Oh, and thanks for the welcome aboard your board.

Lucky

Looks like half of one of them inter-locking belt buckles. Forgot the name.

A lot of CW veterans traveled out your way for gold prospecting and I'm sure many kept momentos of their service on their person. Could have been lost from one of them. Jim

It's is from a 2-piece militia buckle from the 1830s. It is the center piece, the bar is broken off.

Very common militia buckle in California back in the day.

A buckle is a good guess, but if that's a dime next to it, it's not a very big buckle.

Wow!!! That is it, or at least part of it. Char, and all the rest of you, I would like to thank you for your diligence in the research of this relic.

If any of you are out in Sacremento area and would like to go gold prospecting either with a dredge or metal detector. Just drop me a e-mail: [email protected]

Thanks again,

Lucky

Back
Top Bottom