looks pretty old..what is it?

marcus118

Forum Supporter
hey guys...im a newbie to metal detecting and found this today (one of my first finds). my first thought was a really old women's lipstick container. the lid has "Pond's Extract Co. NY" inscribed on it. the bottom has "Pond's" inscribed. (the penny next to it is for scale) probably worthless but kind of interesting i think. any help would be much appreciated..thanks!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3212.jpg
    IMG_3212.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,267
  • IMG_3210.jpg
    IMG_3210.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,060
Lip stick or some sort of face paste. My guess 1910's ,one of first things to put in the 'finds box', awsome!! Just think what you will find tomorrow.

Welcome to the forum Marcus.

It's definely a lipstick tube. An old one at that. :yes:

Pond's began its first national advertising campaign in 1886, using the services of the well-established J. Walter Thompson Company. Even though the Pond's company began creating other products based on the Extract in the 1890s, it advertised only Pond's Extract until 1910. Around that time, owing the broader availability of witch hazel at a lower price, it became clear that Pond's Extract had no future. Read more....

http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/eaa/ponds.html

Pond's Extract is the original "witch hazel" Read the history of Pond's Extract here:

http://www.swsbm.com/manualsother/Hamamelis.txt

In 1882 I added several new preparations, consisting of toilet cream,
dentifrice, lip salve, ointment, porous plasters, catarrh remedy and toilet
soap. Special machinery for their manufacture was erected in our laboratory at
Number 1 West 13th Street, that building being connected with the one containing
our offices, at 76 Fifth Avenue. All the articles above mentioned were made from
the product of Pond's Extract, in different forms, and proved very successful
with a large trade.

Go back and see what else there is.

thanks for all the help!!! i'm going to go back to the site next week and see what else is there. i also found a few old bullet shells and an old horseshoe buried deep in the ground at the same site. cant wait to see what i find next!

Welcome to our family. As you see there are many knowledgeable people on the forum to help identify your finds. Good luck on your next hunt and be sure to let us know what you find.:yes:

Welcome to the forum... yep, lipstick.. Carol covered it all.. I can remember my Grandmother with those type lipstick tubes. RickO

Back
Top Bottom