Vacation Hunt with rover at Myrtle Beach

NCBounty15

Forum Supporter
We had an awesome time over the holidays. We met up at 7:00 am and hunted until 3:30 pm. This was my first time meeting up with another detectorist, as was rover's. We started out the day walking along the beach out to a prominent point that looked promising for some loot; however, we only found a few clad coins...(No gold doubloons) :no: Then at one point, my detector went crazy, giving a loud signal, and a large target....could this be it?!!? But when I dug down around a foot, I ended up pulling out an entire six pack of beer, already emptied. That was maddening enough, but to add insult to injury, rover found another "stash" a few feet away, closer to 18 cans. :mad: Who does this?

Then we decided to head out to an island in the inlet, as it seemed to be a good place for a gang of pirates to hide their loot, but as we trolled alongside the marsh surrounding the island, we discovered it to be inaccessible.

Next we decided to go to a spot near the dunes that had yielded a few pocket spills for rover a few days prior, with coins ranging from the early to late 60s. Not too much luck there so I wanted to go check out a place where gunmen from WWII had used some concrete blocks as targets in a shooting range. That was incredible; I found some 50 caliber bullets and a shell to one of the bullets around this target--what a neat piece of history!

Finally, we headed north to escape the beach re-nourishment and hit some beach that still had some of last summer's loot in it. I detected along a wall next to a pool and found that earring. Don't think it's silver, so the diamond is probably fake. Well, I'll wrap this up now :roll: haha, and just say that this was one of the most fun vacations I have ever spent at the beach. What a day. Thanks rover!! HH all,
NC

Attachments

• DSCF3274.jpg
    DSCF3274.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 606
  • DSCF3276.jpg
    DSCF3276.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 612
  • DSCF3277.jpg
    DSCF3277.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 603
Was a Blast!

It was really cool hooking up with ya NC. Hats off to your parents for raising such a good kid, or I should say young man.

I wish we could gotten up to that island. I hope next time you come down I'll have figured out a way onto it so we can hunt. Hopefully the fog wont be as thick and we can see what we are doing:shock:

All in all it was a great day for me even though we didn't find any loot, even with the sore arm from carrying all those cans half full of sand back to the closest trash can:mad:

I did end up finding finding a cool old glass door knob along with a few bullets and some clad as well.

Next time you come down let me know and we'll do it again. Don't for get to send me your email. I have a good pic of you on the way out to the island.

Attachments

• low res door knob.jpg
    low res door knob.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 602
Alright, sounds good rover! You should go back to that place where we detected at the end of the day, I found a good amount of coins under the showers next to that pool I was so stubborn about. :yes: It should be very productive for you as well.

I saw later in the day another guy who had an Ace 250 that looked like you, so I called out your name but the guy just stared at me--he wasn't very friendly. My dad didn't think so either. Nice pic of the knob! lol:lol: HH
NC

One more thing rover...Where is the date on the bottom of your shell casing? I also can't seem to clean the sand off of it. How did you clean yours?

Great hunt and finds! The beach is sounding really nice to these Coloradoans...

This is a picture of Better Half's motorcycle guardian angel pin on his leather vest... it's what you found!

Attachments

• guardian angel.jpg
    guardian angel.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 592
One more thing rover...Where is the date on the bottom of your shell casing? I also can't seem to clean the sand off of it. How did you clean yours?

Here is a picture of mine "42". I also have a smaller one with "43" on it.
I pretty much kept rubbing it with my thumb. Mine might be in better shape than yours. Someone might have a method to suggest to clean brass and I will give it a try on one of mine before you do it to your only one.

Attachments

• low res shell date.jpg
    low res shell date.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 524
Great hunt and finds! The beach is sounding really nice to these Coloradoans...

This is a picture of Better Half's motorcycle guardian angel pin on his leather vest... it's what you found!

Neat! Is that like a universal motorcycle symbol?? I'm ignorant in that field! :lol: HH
NC

Many bikers wear guardian angels on their vest. It is kind of a good luck piece. Believe me, you need some luck when you ride. That one looks as if it may have had it's wings clipped though.

Haha, it sure did!! I can believe that bikers need all the luck they can get...what with all the SUVs out on the road, or as I call them--Stupid Ugly Vehicles!! HH
NC

Here is a picture of mine "42". I also have a smaller one with "43" on it.
I pretty much kept rubbing it with my thumb. Mine might be in better shape than yours. Someone might have a method to suggest to clean brass and I will give it a try on one of mine before you do it to your only one.

Thanks, I kept scrubbing gently and it revealed 1942!

rover,
you might try some Brasso metal polish or if you know somebody into reloading bullets that has a tumbler. HTH

Back
Top Bottom