Advice for my first detector

ToddinKY

So when i originally started researching the first thing i came upon was garrett and the 400 was everywhere. After looking at a lot of videos and reviews seemed to be that people somewhat advised against this. So looking a little more i found the garrett pro and at max and think id like to go with the garrett at max.
My question is this too much for me as a beginner to start using? Also am i focusing too much on garrett and should i look at other units. Im gonna mostly be detecting in kentucky but also from time to time id like to go to a beach if possible. The At max is going for $722 for a bundle that comes with pro pointer, headset, digger, mini pick, backpack, travel bag, shovel, hat, travel bag, waist pouch and drawstring bag.
Any info and advice is greatly appreciated.

Quite a few people start with the ATPRO, it's a fine machine with many accessories available, fairly deep, reliable and a relatively short learning curve. What the resounding feedback from the max is its hottie, and deeper, but much more chatty. So you will be hearing quite a bit of background noise, and random tiny bleeps, which I would believe makes it tougher to learn.

Not sure what your budget is but Fisher makes some effective user friendly machines. Their technology might not have advanced, but many of the separate well and are deep.

Most importantly, don't bundle, save your self some money and call a sponsor detectors are one of the rare things with MAP pricing, and are cheaper over the phone than on the internet

I would not spend a lot of money until you know that you love the hobby. There are a number of $300 or so machines that are darn good. The Teknetics line like the Liberator or the Fisher F22 or F44 are fine. I too would opt for the AT Pro and not the Max. A good pinpointer is a must and be sure to watch some videos on how to cut a good plug to live as little notice as possible.

There are so many choices out there. Fortunately just about any detector from a known brand will work fine. It is REALLY hard to choose a perfect first detector therefore I would choose a $200-$400 detecor. Seldom does anyone that stays with the hobby stay with their first detector. This isn’t a bad thing though, You will have more knowledge to choose exactly the detector that is for you and have a backup/loaner. Get ready for a barrage of “dont get a AT get a nox”. I’ve never owned a Garret but there are tons of happy Garret and AT owners out there and many have switched over to the nox too. It’s best,if possible, to try before you buy. Also buying used can save you a bunch. I and others have had great experiences dealing with the sponsors here. Good starters (non saltwater) - mohave, xttera 305,505, many fisher/teknetics, garret ace ??? Starter (w/beach settings) Treasurepro, xterra 705, nox 600. Remember the goal should be to have fun detecting.

Ok I'll be the first. Take a look at the Equinox. I would never say look at something that expensive for a first detector but you're already talking about spending $722 and you can get a new nox for $800 or less. Not to mention its in high demand and would be really easy to sell if you didn't like it.
I will say no matter what you decide on call a forum sponsor and let them know that you are a member of the forum and lots of times they can save you some money.
Sounds like a good deal on the Max bundle. And to answer your question no its probably not to much for a beginner to handle. My first decent detector was an eTrac. You just gotta be patient and make an effort to learn it.

The Equinox 600 would be a thrifty and proven detector, plus it would re-sell well if you decided metal detecting wasn't for you.

Many first timers get discourage when they are not finding anything good. So if I was you, either buy used and a unit that has warranty or buy a detector that is going to have decent resale value. Most of us started with a cheap unit such as a Bounty Hunter and then upgrade when we know that the hobby is for us.

I’m new to the hobby of detecting. I recommend the Equinox. I think it’s basic functions are as easy to learn as the AT series detectors and has more versatility. As you learn it has more adjustability to set up your preferences for hunting.

So when i originally started researching the first thing i came upon was garrett and the 400 was everywhere. After looking at a lot of videos and reviews seemed to be that people somewhat advised against this. So looking a little more i found the garrett pro and at max and think id like to go with the garrett at max.
My question is this too much for me as a beginner to start using? Also am i focusing too much on garrett and should i look at other units. Im gonna mostly be detecting in kentucky but also from time to time id like to go to a beach if possible. The At max is going for $722 for a bundle that comes with pro pointer, headset, digger, mini pick, backpack, travel bag, shovel, hat, travel bag, waist pouch and drawstring bag.

Keep in mind that sometimes those "bundles" have crappy add ons. What pinpointer is included? Is it the Garrett? Is the digger cheap plastic or a Lesch type? What kind of shovel?

If you were local I'd lend you one of mine to try out so you could see the differences and decide which is best for you.

Like others I’m going to recommend the Minelab Equinox. The 800 is what I recommend for your price range. Call around to dealers and get their best price so if you have to sell it one day you’ll get a better ROI.
With all the extras the 800 comes with it’s worth it.
I’ve started with the AT Pro (had 3) but if you are going to use it in the water or damp sand then most definitely the Equinox.
I drank the kool-aid and thought it tasted great! Lol!

Look at used machines. The market is great for buyers. Get your feet wet with a good used detector to see if you like this hobby. I see it on here a lot where a newbie gets advice on a new detector, buys one then a few months down the road puts it up for sale citing that "it just wasn't for me", " I don't have time for it" etc. I think that a lot has to do with seeing the pictures and reading the stories of good finds, watching youtube videos and thinking that it's automatic to just turn on the detector and find all the good stuff right away.
:no: Far from the truth. Ever watched the hunting/fishing shows on TV? Editing is a great thing, almost magic really. What you don't see on those shows is the amount of time when nothing is happening. Of course no one would watch that, right? Well, detecting can be the same way. I have been out for hours and came home with NOTHING, just trash. It takes time and patience, a lot of both sometimes but the payoff can be very rewarding, not the dollar value of your finds so much; just getting that iffy signal, deciding to dig it because you have learned what your detector is trying to tell you, and popping a ring or a SLQ or maybe even that rare gold coin out of the ground. There is so much satisfaction in it that words just don't describe the feeling of that joy, success and accomplishment that comes with finding something no one else has found but everyone has passed over it....except you.:yes:

Like others I’m going to recommend the Minelab Equinox. The 800 is what I recommend for your price range. Call around to dealers and get their best price so if you have to sell it one day you’ll get a better ROI.
With all the extras the 800 comes with it’s worth it.
I’ve started with the AT Pro (had 3) but if you are going to use it in the water or damp sand then most definitely the Equinox.
I drank the kool-aid and thought it tasted great! Lol!

Yes, the kool aid is very tasty!:laughing:

If you're going to hit the salt water or wet salt sand, you're going to want a multi-frequency machine. It's not bad just hitting the dry sand w/ a VLF, but at some point you're going to be staring wantonly at the wet sand and wishing you could hit that nice big cut being lapped by the ocean...

For your first detector, I say Garrett. They're straight to the point when it comes to metal detecting. Minelabs are great machines, but require patience which is usually not a beginner's best virtue. They want to get out and hear sounds and dig treasure. Minelabs require learning the machine and the hobby a little more than entry level.

AT Pros are great. I started with an ACE 250 long ago and went to the AT Pro. AT Pro is still what I actively use, even after going to minelab a handful of times, always stuck with the AT Pro.

BUT, the BEST advice no one has mentioned yet is if you're really JUST starting out, BUY USED! Buy a used machine because you won't be out so much if you decide you're not finding treasure fast enough. :) A lot of those starting out get frustrated because treasure isn't in the ground where they hunt.

When you decide what you want call some of the sponsors of this forum and get the real price. Don't fall for a bunch of cheap junk being included. The advertised price is not what a good dealer will sell you the machine for.

What did you end up getting?

Back
Top Bottom