• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox cuff

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I find using the Equinox cuff around my arm is an annoyance when taking off laying down the detector when digging a plug. So I don't use it.

what are the benefits of using the cuff? Am I missing something here?
The only think I can guess is it reduces fatigue when swinging for longer periods of time. I have not tried it that long to make a decision.

Don't make it so tight that you can't slip your arm in and out of it. You shouldn't have to strap and unstrap it. That's still going to be enough to reduce fatigue on longer hunts.

Arm cuffs when used with a strap claim to reduce forearm stress caused by a unbalanced detector.

Arm cuffs when used with a strap claim to reduce forearm stress caused by a unbalanced detector.

^^^this,

I dont have a super lite machine, but the arm cuffs help me run heavier machines all day. You dont have to hold the grip tight to steer and maintain control, keep your grip loose.

The strap on the Equinox needs to be longer. With just a sweatshirt on, I have trouble getting my arm in and out of it. I have it adjusted to the point that there is barely any contact area left for the velcro to hold.

The strap on the Equinox needs to be longer. With just a sweatshirt on, I have trouble getting my arm in and out of it. I have it adjusted to the point that there is barely any contact area left for the velcro to hold.
I agree the strap needs to be longer. I plan on making one for mine as I have a lot of strap material from old hunting body harness's. I've already made cuff cover from an old pair of neoprene waders

I noticed this also. I tend to not use the strap on detectors anyway, and I’m even less likely to in the colder months because I’m usually wearing way too many layers to make it practical. But last week I decided to try it with the Equinox for the first time since it was a little warmer and all I was wearing was a thin fleece jacket over a long sleeve shirt. I don’t have Popeye forearms or anything, but I immediately noticed that in order to have the strap adjusted to allow me to easily pass my arm in and out while hunting, I had precious little Velcro remaining. Probably fine for my bare arm in the summer, but otherwise, it needs more length especially for bigger guys.

What I did is I put my arm in the arm cuff put the strap on it adjusted it til it felt right then I unbolted the arm cuff from the machine and boiled it for like 5 minutes I took it out just put some lukewarm water on it then let it air cool... It's perfect now I don't have to use the strap... I boiled it with the strap on it to hold it to the size that I needed...

I never use the cuff because it's such a pain to take on and off...dummy me never thought to keep it loose...I'll try that next hunt

I keep the strap loose and can slide in and out fine when not wearing a jacket. my metal cuff should be here today..

I'm a firm believer in arm support while swinging a detector. The more solid the support, the better. If it were practical, I would strap it on tight enough to eliminate any movement in the cuff. Heck, I would modify it so I could attach it like a prosthetic extension of my arm. Maximum stability! HOWEVER, this is not practical. I also wish to use that arm for other things, such as digging up the coins, etc. So, the best thing to do is compromise. Find a balance between maximum stability, and quick release. When starting a hunt, I adjust the strap to fit my arm, with whatever sleeves I will be wearing. Gotta make it loose enough to get the arm in and out without catching, but no looser than that. Find a happy medium. The Equinox cuff strap is barely long enough to accommodate my forearm with a coat sleeve, but it works.

What I did is I put my arm in the arm cuff put the strap on it adjusted it til it felt right then I unbolted the arm cuff from the machine and boiled it for like 5 minutes I took it out just put some lukewarm water on it then let it air cool... It's perfect now I don't have to use the strap... I boiled it with the strap on it to hold it to the size that I needed...

Basstrackerman, :bowdown:
Are you saying that you changed the radius of the plastic cup by tightening the strap down so the plastic cup was snug to your arm and then took it off and heated it in boiling water to permanently change its shape / radius ?

If that works, :wow2: I'll be trying that trick.
The EQ Giant cuff is made for POPEYE. Nobody else has forearms that big.

One thing that I love about my F75 is the adjustable cuff, and you don't need a strap at all.

It works great when its 28 degrees and I'm wearing 5 layers of clothing. In summer it is a bit much. Minelab SD, GP, and GPX arm cuff covers work well along with Doc's Equinox arm cuff covers.

Jeff

Basstrackerman, :bowdown:
Are you saying that you changed the radius of the plastic cup by tightening the strap down so the plastic cup was snug to your arm and then took it off and heated it in boiling water to permanently change its shape / radius ?

If that works, :wow2: I'll be trying that trick.
The EQ Giant cuff is made for POPEYE. Nobody else has forearms that big.

One thing that I love about my F75 is the adjustable cuff, and you don't need a strap at all.

Yes that's what I did. Adjust with strap then boil water and once boiling drop cuff in with the strap for a few minutes.. pull it out and let cool or run under water. Remove strap and test on arm.

I find using the Equinox cuff around my arm is an annoyance when taking off laying down the detector when digging a plug. So I don't use it.

what are the benefits of using the cuff? Am I missing something here?
The only think I can guess is it reduces fatigue when swinging for longer periods of time. I have not tried it that long to make a decision.

I took the cuff off my Whites years ago,when I got my Nox 800 I didn't even bother with it.

Back
Top Bottom