what share terms do you use with property owner?

Agree, a deal is a deal. Sad to say that's not the norm today. I'm very careful of what I say and offer. I don't do this for the $ (thank God or I'd be bankrupt) but I like the finds. On the other hand they all get throw in boxes or drawers and will be sold for 10¢ on the dollar when I'm gone so I give just about anything the owner want to them.

My thinking also...

Unfortunately, integrity isn't very important to some people.

I never offer anything. If they ask what I've found I show them. I've only had a few people turn me down and all the ones that gave me permission ask me back. I do assure them that I will not leave holes and that I take all the trash with me. I reckon digging to aluminium out of their ground is pay enough, seems like I dig plenty of it!

I have never been asked to do this, but I have considered making up a relic box for a few of the friendliest people.

I’ve given owners some finds before,and actually some really nice sterling and silver finds.But I wouldn’t make no deals before detecting and waste my time if I did find something I wanted and then had to give it up.If I had to agree to give anything up I’d just walk away,nothing lost and nothing gained in my book.

I’ve given owners some finds before,and actually some really nice sterling and silver finds.But I wouldn’t make no deals before detecting and waste my time if I did find something I wanted and then had to give it up.If I had to agree to give anything up I’d just walk away,nothing lost and nothing gained in my book.

Can't argue with your view. At least it seems like you'd walk away without telling the property owner to buy their own $1000.00 detector and then they could keep everything!

My thoughts- The landowner has the right to dictate terms. The individual requesting permission has the right to accept terms or move on.

If you do make a deal with the land owner, I feel you should keep it.

There are members of this forum who are proud of the fact that they make a deal, but then deceive the landowner by withholding finds. They have even posted about it.

Agree, you should honor your agreement in all aspects. This is a fun hobby not a money making scheme. The only guys I know who really make money at this hobby are a few guys on the east and west coach beaches hunting gold/silver and especially gold/silver with diamonds attached. And a few good CW relic hunters. I would say 80% of us or more don't even worry about the money aspect of this hobby other than several times a year dumping our clad in a bank coin counter.

I could find many more ways to make money. Holding a cardboard sign at an off ramp begging for money in my old metal detecting clothes will bring in much more $$$ with little efforts.

My thoughts- The landowner has the right to dictate terms. The individual requesting permission has the right to accept terms or move on.

If you do make a deal with the land owner, I feel you should keep it.

For the OPs question, I don’t have any set “terms” that I bring up with a property owner when requesting permission. I take it on a case by case basis - if the property owner doesn’t bring the topic up themselves, I’ll always end up just asking if they’d be interested in seeing what I find. The answer to that generally tells me everything I need to decide whether or not to hunt.

In my head I have a level of finds sharing that I’m willing to work with, but like Bill_Ace mentioned, it their property so I feel it’s their right to dictate the terms. It’s up to me to decide if I’m willing to agree to those terms.

Just be honest

I agree, the deception to me seems like it goes against the integrity of hunters everywhere. There's no need to deceive. Just be honest, have fun, and build good reputations for all of us.

I had one farmer ask me to hunt an area of one of his fields because he thought that perhaps there was a house there many years ago. As I was heading out he said something about sharing if I found a jar of gold coins. I said I'd certainly share, he could have the JAR :)

Wasn't much sign of a house there but I did find a harmonica reed.

Back
Top Bottom