Detectors and Calibration

Khamabl1

Hello everyone,

I'm a senior electrical engineering student. For my senior project I need to build a metal detector with certain requirements. One of the requirements is that the detector shall have no need for re-calibration in order to function properly.

At least most of detectors that I have seen while doing the research for this project needed some form re-calibration from time to time, usually by adjusting potentiometers. I have a few questions about detectors and their need for recalibration:

1) Are there any types of detectors that do not require calibration from time to time?
2) Why do certain types of detectors require calibration?
3) Are there ways to mitigate the need for detectors to require calibration to some degree?

Addition requirements for the detector are:
1) Must distinguish between ferrous and non-ferrous metals
2) Must run using an alkaline 9V battery
3) Must be safe for use by children ages 5-11

Any answers to my question above will be a huge help.

Currently my team is thinking of using a BFO for the project. It will be based off of the detector described in the following URLs:

https://www.embeddedrelated.com/showarticle/911.php
https://www.embeddedrelated.com/showarticle/914.php

Thanks in advance!
-Kyle

You picked a challenging assignment.

To my recollection, BFO type detectors don't go very deep and I don't think they were able to discriminate. BFO detectors were replaced by induction balanced (also known as VLF type) detectors. This technology is capable of reaching deeper into the ground and is more amenable to discrimination, based on the the target's admittance (commonly termed conductivity but since you are studying for your EE degree the proper term is admittance). The discrimination is based on the phase angle difference between the applied transmitted field and the target's response field.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
By recalibration are you referring to "ground balancing" the detector to the soil or re tuning due to component variance and age.

Just go buy a Tesoro Compadre,strip the logos off it,apply your logo (Kyles Beepers Inc) and presto!
Maybe not....but it sure sounds like your Prof and TA want some good ideas to take to market!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom