Shocked and Amazed. What did I find?

Chipk

Elite Member
Yesterday at an 1874 home I got a high 87-89 signal on my ATP. Hoping for a silver half I dug and was disappointed to pull out what appeared to be a mudcaked, tarnished can lid.

At home I was about to toss it in the recycle bin when I noticed the “handle” on it. A little scrubbing revealed engraving. Now I went to work cleaning it and removing the tarnish.

What I found is a thin silver disc larger than a silver dollar. It is definitely Scottish in origin. There is a lion, thistle, heather and a sword ( looks like a metal detector to me). There is the Scottish National Slogan, “None Shall Provoke Me With Impunity” and the phrase “I Mak Sicher” (I Make Sure).

There is a date of August 12, 1299 with the initials WW below. Can’t find anything significant about that date but August 23, 1304 is the day when William Wallace was brutally executed. Coincidence?

Watch fob? Kilt decoration? No idea. But I love it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 978
Wow! Amazing find! Looks like a hand made watch fob to me. It's incredible what comes out of the ground.

Now that is a cool watch fob. Looks 1800's to me. Of course we know they didn't have watches or watch fobs in 1299, so it is clearly commemorating something. I hope we can figure this one out. Any chance that was meant to be a 7 not a 2?

Yesterday at an 1874 home I got a high 87-89 signal on my ATP. Hoping for a silver half I dug and was disappointed to pull out what appeared to be a mudcaked, tarnished can lid.

At home I was about to toss it in the recycle bin when I noticed the “handle” on it. A little scrubbing revealed engraving. Now I went to work cleaning it and removing the tarnish.

What I found is a thin silver disc larger than a silver dollar. It is definitely Scottish in origin. There is a lion, thistle, heather and a sword ( looks like a metal detector to me). There is the Scottish National Slogan, “None Shall Provoke Me With Impunity” and the phrase “I Mak Sicher” (I Make Sure).

There is a date of August 12, 1299 with the initials WW below. Can’t find anything significant about that date but August 23, 1304 is the day when William Wallace was brutally executed. Coincidence?

Watch fob? Kilt decoration? No idea. But I love it.

That is freaking cool, congrats with your search and keep us posted.

Now that is a cool watch fob. Looks 1800's to me. Of course we know they didn't have watches or watch fobs in 1299, so it is clearly commemorating something. I hope we can figure this one out. Any chance that was meant to be a 7 not a 2?

Then maybe it was a sundial fob.:grin:

I think it’s a reference but nothing significant happened on that date. However it has the initials WW beneath that date and August 23, 1304 is the date William Wallace was brutally executed. Coincidence?

The Gregorian calendar is named after Pope Gregory XIII, who introduced it in October 1582.

So, you might want to figure out the difference between August 23 in the Julian vs Gregorian calendars.

I got the chills reading about Chipk's find!

But is it a watch fob for sure? Seems a bit big. Why would the chain be attached to a flat loop like that, instead of a small round one? Could it be a medal of some kind, that was sewn to a flat ribbon?

You may be right about William Wallace reference. Here is a link to one of the quotes:
https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/scottish-fact-of-the-day-nemo-me-impune-lacessit-1-3655817
Sorry the link has issues. Here is the content.

It is the official motto of the kingdom of Scotland.

NO one provokes me with impunity’ or ‘Nemo me impune lacessit’ is the national motto of the Kingdom of Scotland. Often translated into the Scots ‘Wha duar meddle wi me’ (in Scottish Gaelic ‘Cha togar m’ fhearg gun dìoladh’), it is loosely translated as ‘No one can harm me unpunished’. CONNECT WITH THE SCOTSMAN • Subscribe to our daily newsletter (requires registration) and get the latest news, sport and business headlines delivered to your inbox every morning • You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google + Like the thistle, the national flower, anyone trying to cut it gets a handful of painful barbs. The motto was added to the arms of the King of Scotland during the reign of Charles II. It is also the motto of the Order of the Thistle, the exclusive Scottish order of Knighthood, as well as several army regiments of Scotland including the Scots Guards and the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/scottish-fact-of-the-day-nemo-me-impune-lacessit-1-3655817

Last edited:
The Gregorian calendar is named after Pope Gregory XIII, who introduced it in October 1582.

So, you might want to figure out the difference between August 23 in the Julian vs Gregorian calendars.

Came to post this...

There was no such date in "1299"

Back
Top Bottom