Hunting the water underground

canadianguy

Met up with Zeemang yesterday for a day of cenote hunting. The first place we hunted was very remote (almost 4 wheel drive territory). This cenote was the town swimming hole for hundreds of years. My best coin of the day was found here, 1888 silver 10 centavos, right after that I found the 1888 one centavo.
Next time out I think I will bring my mask and snorkel as well.
These cenote hunts are always fun, you never know what is down there.

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 594
  • coins front.jpg
    coins front.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 569
  • coins back.jpg
    coins back.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 590
  • 10 front.jpg
    10 front.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 578
  • 10 back.jpg
    10 back.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 566
Cool finds, those cenotes have some crystal clear water, its crazy. I went wading in one on a cruise that stopped in Mexico.

Did you use vinegar on the centavos?

Great find on that 1888 silver, that sucker had been there a loooong time! Always fun to take a trip like that...

That's the way it came out of the water. No cleaning required.

Cool. Guess the fresh water helps.

I was just curious because a few days ago I put a wheatie in vinegar and ended up with a brighter copper color that was unflattering to the coin. What I did was rinse the vinegar off to stop it from going green, then I looked around and out of all things, ended up putting silicone spray lubricant for silicone seals on the coin.

I haven't seen any adverse affects yet, but wouldn't necessarily suggest it either, but the silicone did seem to rescue a lot of the definition and details of the coin and balance out the colors. A pic of the wheatie is in my last thread 10k ring return =....

there just has to be gold there in those cave areas,,,,I so wish we had something like that here,,,,,nice hunting and nice times,,,you could be in Canada freezing your tail off right now,,,,:laughing:but hey, if yo were here in Florida you would still be freezing,,,,man I hope it warms up soon,,,can't believe the water temp

Poor lil' tungsten looking ring didn't even get a mention in your post.... :laughing: What a coincidence, both coins being 1888!

Back
Top Bottom