ARA doesn't take GOLD anymore from the public!!!!! *UPDATE, they're taking my GOLD!*

Bonesquat

Elite Member
So I called them up for the first time on everyone's recommendation from here...BOOM - "We don't deal with the public". Only pawn shops...Well that's just great. So here I am with about $500 in gold that I NEED to sell ASAP and I get screwed over because they don't want it. LOVELY. I'm so livid right now.

Anyone know where I can get near 98% on gold? This is driving me insane. I have all of this gold and NO one wants it. I'd sell it at 95% but it seems that's just not enough. :mad::mad:

*UPDATE*. Told them I was a beeperist and they're accepting my gold. Yay!

I just went to their Web site. That sucks! My wife has some old jewelry that we were considering sending in, in a couple of weeks. I won't sell to the local gold buyers as they only pay 60-80% depending on what you have. No one private here wants to pay anywhere near spot for scrap gold either.

Doug

There first question on the FAQ is:

Q. Does American Recycling deal directly with the public?
A. No. You must have a tax and/or EIN number.

Man this is going to suck so bad!!! I guess that means less money for us.. BUT If you look at it this way: You found it for free so anything you make is profit.. It just messes with your mind when you see what you COULD be getting for it but now knowing you wont get the 98% anymore! :mad:

Their Web site states that they do not deal directly with the public and you have to send in an application along with an EIN or TAX ID number.

Doug

Doug,
I have read of other people putting their SSN or just metal detectorist in the EIN number section. I thought the people who started ARA were from a family of metal detectorist. i guess rumors are started and spread through that www place.

If my mom has an EIN for her craft business could that be used?

-keith

You know, it almost makes sense to make a "Salvage Company LLC" or sole proprietorship, especially if a person finds enough gold to offse the 70% a gold dealer will give you as opposed to the 98% ARA will.

doug

I haven't used them personally, but a fiend of mine have and they had positive reports about them.

I personally haven't either: . I know George streeter is a stand up guy, if he found out bad word of mouth on this place he would be the first to say so.

Its another outlet, I am not sure what ratio they pay against spot. but check out their website and see how it goes.

Here is the link I got this from
http://www.streeter.org/community/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1077

For some reason the link isnt working, There site is down...

weird I am looking at the site right now:

http://www.midwestrefineries.com/index.htm

they have the BBB logo also

Gold - Silver - Platinum - Palladium - Rhodium
PRECIOUS METALS BUYERS, SMELTERS, REFINERS, ASSAYERS, BROKERS

America's Gold, Platinum and Silver scrap buyer, smelter and refiner
since 1939

4471 Forest Ave.Waterford, Michigan 48328
Toll Free 1-800-356-2955
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm Eastern Standard Time

WE ARE NOT OPEN FOR WALK IN TRAFFIC, FOR SECURITY REASONS.
ALL PRECIOUS METALS MUST BE SHIPPED TO US.

The only scrap gold, silver and platinum buyers and refiners you will ever need!
Serving jewelers, goldsmiths, dentists, dental laboratories, industries and companies generating precious metal scrap, physics departments, pawn shops, metal detector hobbyists, and the general public.

Increases in payables on gold, silver and platinum!

Midwest Refineries now pays:

* 95% of the amount of pure
gold contained in your order
* 90% of the amount of pure
silver contained in your order for sterling silver and 90% coin silver
* 80% of the amount of pure
silver contained in your order for 800 silver
* 92% of the amount of pure
silver contained in your order for hallmarkd .999 silver bullion coins and bars
* 90% of the amount of pure platinum contained in your order
* 80% of the amount of pure rhodium contained in your order
* 80% of the amount of pure palladium contained in your order

NO OTHER CHARGES OR FEES!

Sure, just go and get a tax ID number. It may take an hour to get it. Create a business name and just go that route. Heck, maybe I should start offering 85% and then resell to ARA using my business name. :D

G2M

Doug,
I have read of other people putting their SSN or just metal detectorist in the EIN number section. I thought the people who started ARA were from a family of metal detectorist. i guess rumors are started and spread through that www place.

If my mom has an EIN for her craft business could that be used?

-keith

It might be worth a try. In my county, I only pay $25.00 for a County Business License and a copy of that has worked for every situation that I have needed one for. It might work for this too. I don't know.

Doug

Can anyone get a tax id number and if so what does it cost?

The costs will vary from state to state I believe. I can't remember how much mine cost. Had it for 13 years now. Relatively cheap to obtain from what I can remember.

Im pretty sure most anyone can get a tax ID number. I mean after all, the word tax is in the title so why wouldn't Uncle Sam let anyone have them. :lol:

G2M

Back
Top Bottom