$2 coins may be comming to the U.S.?

SamFisher

Elite Member
The U.S. Presidential Office is restricted on how much money it can print, but not how many coins it can mint, so I have heard. $1 coins may become very popular, and $2 coins may be on their way :roll: !?? Sounds good to me :D

they'll be just as popular as the Susan B, the sacawhatever, and the current presidential coins.

Personally, I would absolutely love using $1 or $2 coins. Having been to Europe and used their 1 and 2 euro coins, I loved it. So easy to do with vending machines and such.

Well, I may be alone on this, and I really doubt it'll pick up because they've tried it before and it was a complete failure each time, but I would love using those. xD

The dollar bill is one of the most used bill. You often don't see many before 2005 in your wallet, because they are used so much.

An average dollar bill has a life span of 17-22 months.

A dollar costs about 5 cents to print.
Think of all the money that is wasted printing new dollar bills each year

Get rid of the dollar, and use a $1 and $2 coins. Canada seems to have no issue with them.

A coin can last 30 years or better, the US would save a ton of money.

:oldguy:The problem always has been, and still is, public acceptance.
Our Gov't has tried often to get us to use dollar coins but they just end up in someones dresser drawer. Of course it doesn't help that since the Morgan dollar the coins made have seemed cheap in comparison. I believe many of us would like to see $1 and 2$ coins produced, but only because we want to hear them beep on our detectors and see them at the bottom of the hole!!:tiphat:

:oldguy:The problem always has been, and still is, public acceptance.
Our Gov't has tried often to get us to use dollar coins but they just end up in someones dresser drawer. Of course it doesn't help that since the Morgan dollar the coins made have seemed cheap in comparison. I believe many of us would like to see $1 and 2$ coins produced, but only because we want to hear them beep on our detectors and see them at the bottom of the hole!!:tiphat:

Get rid of the bills and we would have to accept using coins... we are americans we grumble about everything... we will get over it :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, lets get rid of the reserve note. So when I decide to carry $200-$300, I can turn to my trusty coin purse that weighs 15 lbs. And where am I going to carry the coin purse since it will be too big for my pockets? How about my handy dandy European carry all.

"Its not a purse!! ITS EUROPEAN!! - Seinfeld

The U.S. government does not print paper money! The Federal Reserve Banks (12 Super Banks) print it and sell it to our government and others with interest attached. That is the reason we are in this trouble.

Our government does coin money and it does not cost us anything but the price of the cheap metal they use and labor.

We need to go back to printing our own paper money and quite paying interest to these banks. Or go back on the Gold and Silver Standard.

Get rid of the dollar, and use a $1 and $2 coins. Canada seems to have no issue with them.

we've got both the $1 and the $2 dollar coins and they seem to do just fine here. vending machines take them both, they hold up very well compared to paper money and.... they're some nice to find with the MD! :D

Pete

We still produce $1 coins no ones uses them though.

The US mint just had a problem with them because they had a thing where you could convert your FRNs/bank account to dollar coins tax free and no shipping charges. People abused this system by placing large quantity orders of the maximum they could and use it on a debit/credit card just so they could rack up whatever rewards program their credit card offers. So some people were doing it in upwards of 50k etc and its like you're spending 50k in a store and getting all those rewards points worth that amount. Then taking the coins straight to the bank as soon as they get them then repeating the process again and again. Then the bank send them right back to the mint and they caught on to what people are doing. Now you can't buy these coins with debit/credit cards only money orders and personal checks.:wow:

So in other words some people were racking up those air miles.

with all joking and likes/dislikes aside about the 1 and 2 dollar coins (and i've heard talk about a 5 here sometime in the future), there's usually not a whole lot of digging involved with recovering these coins! they haven't been around long enough for most of them to sink too far into the ground. ;) the ones i've found have ALL been less than 2 inches deep, if not right on the surface and with no digging at all! BIG money and easy to find, haha! and the Ace really rings up some nice when the coil goes over one of those! :lol::lol:

In order for $1 coins and $2 coins to gain any kind of acceptance and popularity you need to start first by eliminating the printing of any more dollar bills. Don't give the public any choice on the matter.

If you want to carry around 20 of those gold colored presidential dollars in your pocket, you can go to ANY bank and get all you want! They got them stacked up cause no customers ask for them!

We got one fellow at our church that always carries a few on him to use as tips for waitresses! :lol::lol: You should see the looks he gets cause at first they think they are weird quarters or not real!

I never tried using one to buy a coke or soft drink from a machine. If they work for that, then I might want to carry a few. But for $2 coins the entire vending machine industry would have to retool...I don't think they would take kindly to that!

Clerks at stores are bad enough as it is, questioning the $1 coins! Can you imagine their reaction to $2 coins? :lol::lol: I bet they could not even figure how to make change for a buck 98 if you paid with a $2 coin! :lol::lol:

My point was that regardless of the limits the house and senate can place on the President to have the Federal Reserve :roll: print money, he has the power to mint as many coins as he would like. Which may very well be a plausible tactic.

As Deteco metioned by eliminating the lower denomination paper currency, and replacing it with coins, we would be saving huge amounts of money, as they last longer.

The reason people were able to purchase the $1 coin with credit cards, is because the coins were treated as a novelty item.

I personally believe the government should say that the printing of $1 bills will be eliminated while our country uses up the stock pile of $1 coins that we have sitting in store houses.

This will do numerous things. It will save us the cost of having new money printed now and down the road. It will use the currency we have already paid to have made. It will save us the money it will cost to store these coins. It will get our country used to using coins instead of paper money.

I just emailed the white house, but I doubt it will do any good.

Email:

I really think that they should get rid of the 1 and 2 dollar bills, and go with a 1 and 2 dollar coin. The US prints new dollar bills every 17-22 months, because they have such a short lifespan. A coin can last a good 40 years before wearing out.There is currently a stockpile of one dollar coins and no one wants them.If they simply quit making the dollar bill, demand would increase.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom