Historic Map question

dsmith14469

Just got my metal detector over the weekend and started researching location, lots of great info on here about finding old maps but how to read them?

On the attached map it shows the property lines and old owners. Do the squares on the maps indicate house locations? Newer maps don't show them possible because the land was bought by a town to convert into a reservoir. Is my thinking correct or do the squares mean nothing?

Thanks

Attachments

• Boughton Park Old.jpg
    Boughton Park Old.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 381
The small squares are the proximate location of the houses with the owner's name at the time of the map survey.

I love using those maps! the overlay option is really cool........just remember that they are hand drawn and wont always line up! good luck....

I'm still having trouble with these old maps . Are there more than one site to go to for them

I'm still having trouble with these old maps . Are there more than one site to go to for them

I use historic arials alot since it has a time slider overlay but out local library also has alot of old topos posted online that I sometime refer to as well. Then I'll try to do an overlay or side by side comparions with google maps or earth and figure out that what was then to what is now.

Back
Top Bottom