what would you do?

donaldmyduck

what would you do if you called the dept. of parks and recreation and asked them what the laws were regarding metal detectors in city parks and the answer you got was "i don't know"?

DMD

what would you do if you called the dept. of parks and recreation and asked them what the laws were regarding metal detectors in city parks and the answer you got was "i don't know"?

DMD

send an email, then carry it with you when they reply....

Here we go again with a person thinking they need a 100 page document to have permission. If you called the park department and they said they do not know then hunt it. I would not even have called them, that was your first mistake. It detecting is not allowed then it should be posted in the park somewhere. I'm just giving you some !!!!(LOL) but it seems like a lot of new detectorist think you need permission for every place on the face of the earth. If you start asking and the person doesn't know then they will probably give you a no. It is better sometimes to just hunt some public property and let them kick you off and just apologize for your mistake. The main focus is on making sure you leave it like you find it and cut a nice plug. This is just on public land NOT private. Hunt and have fun and do not worry about having permission for every little place. Good luck and HH.

I've been down this road before and the end result has a very good chance of being a no. Always if it is at all possible go in person and talk to someone in charge. If you talk over the phone or write, who ever gets it, isn't going to know the answer and is going to do the only smart thing they can do. Pass it along up the line [or just say no] till someone says no. Why? Because chances are they have never used a metal detector before and have visions of a green park full of holes. They have know idea what the results are going to be if they say yes. So, [to be on the safe side they are thinking] just say no or I don't know. What you need to do is dress nice and go and talk to someone in charge who knows the answer to your questions. Always - always in person if possible. If they don't know who you are or anything about you they probably not going to leave themselves open for bad results. Been there - done that. It is harder to say no when talking face to face with a person than over the phone.

Our local parks do not mention metal detecting but have a huge list of rules to go by..

The fall back rule they can use here is not to damage park property. So if someone in charge thinks digging the turf is causing damage then "you're out".. This is the main reason I go to these places when the sun is just coming up and beat it when people start showing up.

Explain damage to parks to me! Playing football and getting tackled COULD tear up the grass. Riding a bike COULD cause ruts in the ground. Having a picnic COULD have litter left behind. General foot traffic COULD cause the grass to die. Parks are public so get out there and try it. Just fill in as if you were not even there. Don't be digging up flowers that are blooming. Mind your own business and when passer by'ers look at you smile and say hows it goin. If you act like you are doing something wrong is when people notice. And if tax payers have problems just say, "look at all this trash that I am digging up and saving people from having accidents". My park I showed the numerous shredded cans from the lazy ace city mowers to people and they all say have a good time. So if anything, throw some trash in your bag and say you dug it there.

Good post Mottz, that's what I'm talking about in my post. Focus on leaving a good clean plug and they will not have a leg to stand on. I hate when people think we are committing some kind of crime and should sneak around in dark alleys to enjoy our hobby. I was hunting the edge of a grass area at my local post office and a lady pulled up and said you know that is federal property? I said well this works out nice because I pay federal taxes. She left and never heard nothing more. Like mottz said act like you own the place and do not act like your doing something wrong!

Good post Mottz, that's what I'm talking about in my post. Focus on leaving a good clean plug and they will not have a leg to stand on. I hate when people think we are committing some kind of crime and should sneak around in dark alleys to enjoy our hobby. I was hunting the edge of a grass area at my local post office and a lady pulled up and said you know that is federal property? I said well this works out nice because I pay federal taxes. She left and never heard nothing more. Like mottz said act like you own the place and do not act like your doing something wrong!

You've hunted a post office lot? I've been wondering about that one myself. Do you find much there?

Don't know what's up with the newest MD'ers on this site but they are going to make it harder for the hobby if they don't wise up. Is it just the younger generation thinking you have to ask permission to do everything? Look you don't ever contact parks and rec as the people in office haven't a clue what the rules are. Search online for your city, county and state and the words metal detecting regulations and park regs. If it says nothing against detecting or digging or "removing any object" then it's ok to hunt there if it's public property since you are a tax payer. For instance I know city and county parks are ok here, but state parks are a big no because state park signs and websites all say either no detecting or else removal of no items allowed. When you arrive at park, double check sign at the entrance that lists park rules just to be doubly sure, then you are good to go. And don't think you are the only detectorist in your town as you most likely are not, so it looks silly for you to ask when others have already probably hunted out the park in question anyway.

Im 31 and always have called before I detect places when I first started. I know now that city parks are fine just no digging, schools are ok as well and county parks I will need a permit which I have.

I recently went to a local park. I had checked the city website and saw absolutely no regulations regarding detecting or removal of items. While I was gearing up, a ranger rode by on horseback and, feeling responsible, I walked up and asked if it would be ok (the whole time knowing the answer should be yes).

"Well, they really don't like you doing it. They caught a guy a while back digging a big hole...(he went on about some other infractions)"

"What about (the name of another area of the park)?", I asked.

"I would guess the whole area", was his response, "but you can hunt in the areas that are less frequented."

He did give me some suggestions of some other properties that he knew would be ok.

I packed up and left. A few days later I was back and was hunting the same area. The same ranger rode by and waved. Didn't even stop.

My point is, I did my research and knew I was in the right. Several park employees have been in the same area and not even glimmer of discontent. Until I am told flat out to leave, I will continue to hunt the park.

Here we go again with a person thinking they need a 100 page document to have permission. If you called the park department and they said they do not know then hunt it. I would not even have called them, that was your first mistake. It detecting is not allowed then it should be posted in the park somewhere. I'm just giving you some !!!!(LOL) but it seems like a lot of new detectorist think you need permission for every place on the face of the earth. If you start asking and the person doesn't know then they will probably give you a no. It is better sometimes to just hunt some public property and let them kick you off and just apologize for your mistake. The main focus is on making sure you leave it like you find it and cut a nice plug. This is just on public land NOT private. Hunt and have fun and do not worry about having permission for PUBLIC PLACES. Good luck and HH.

Great post, I just changed the end IN RED.

Public places are ours, not theirs, we do not want to ask permission, doing so is making these places theirs, and that is a very bad path to go down!

<*)))>{

hillbillydigger, I was actually hunted the grass strip between the curb and sidewalk. It was a very old post office building but all I found was clad and a couple of Wheaties.

hillbillydigger, I was actually hunted the grass strip between the curb and sidewalk. It was a very old post office building but all I found was clad and a couple of Wheaties.

Hey at least you found Wheaties. I would hope for some old coins. Also wondered if rings might fall off around the outdoor mailboxes where people reached out of car to deposit a letter. I heard a mailbox tip for rural routes...hunt on the opposite side of the road from where mailboxes are now because post office used to require everyone place their box on opposite side from what it is now.

I was hunting the edge of a grass area at my local post office and a lady pulled up and said you know that is federal property? I said well this works out nice because I pay federal taxes.

People like that simply think that we are getting rich metal detecting. Why not tell her the truth, "look what I found today nails, sharp canslaw, and $1.78 in coins in 3 hours, about average. On a good day I might find a mercury dime worth $2!" They think we are finding diamond engagement rings every time we go out, more like once in a lifetime, which includes thousands of hours hunting.

... and a lady pulled up and said you know that is federal property? I said well this works out nice because I pay federal taxes. She left and never heard nothing more. Like mottz said act like you own the place and do not act like your doing something wrong!

I love it!

Sweeps

Appreciate the insight

I'm glad donaldmyduck posted this.

As a newbie, I've been wondering about the regs, etc. The posts here have given me a good perspective on "permission".

I think I was worrying a little too much. Nobody wants to be the guy that ruins it for everyone else, and now I can see that it's not just the ones that leave the big holes and the trash behind, it can also be the "can I search here?" people too.

I firmly believe that public land is there to be used by the public. We paid for it to be public land, and we shouldn't have to pay again just to use what is already ours, or have to ask permission prior to using it.

Thanks for the posts!

Sweeps

Back
Top Bottom