Is it a bad idea to call police and ask where in the city is off limits to metal detecting?

hellomikie92

I don't know, if they will say since you asked us, we will outlaw it. Thanks for asking us, now everywhere is off limits to metal detecting. lol But I am also very paranoid too.

In this instance I would say it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...:police:

The police can't outlaw it, it has to be voted on. Call the city manager if you have doubts. If he says it is OK, send him an email stating the same thing you spoke of in the phone conversation and ask him for permission, then when he responds, print it and keep it with you.

better to ask your parks an rec or schools supervisor if you can have permission..even churches and ask for all public areas which are ok..get all the permisison before you ever talk to the police...unless you know a cop who also hunts

better to ask your parks an rec or schools supervisor if you can have permission..even churches and ask for all public areas which are ok..get all the permisison before you ever talk to the police...unless you know a cop who also hunts

Okay I'll do that. People says that churches are one of the easiest places for getting permission is that true?

Your city/town/village ordnance list likely isn't to long. Review them for related content and you'll have a very good idea if you have to approach anyone to detect on public property.

I'd think this person would or her staff could tell you if there is a local ordinance on metal detecting. A yes or no is all you need.

The Powder Springs Municipal and Code Enforcement Courts

Tracie Jackson, Court Administrator
4483 Pine View Drive
PO. Box 46
Powder Springs, GA 30127

Ph: (770) 943-8020

Fax: (678) 626-0842

Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday (Closed Weekends and Holiday's)
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (CLOSE FOR LUNCH 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM)
Wednesday Municipal (Traffic) Court Hours Start at 5:00 p.m. Doors open at 4:15 PM
Monday Code Enforcement Court Hours Start at 1:00 p.m. Doors open at 12:15 PM

Really don't think it's quite so simple, certainly not all public properties, or city land would be allowing hobby activities. A park, which may primarily be a carefully landscaped and maintained, memorial garden, obviously wouldn't be open to any sort of digging, or really much else, besides walking through, sitting quickly. Even though your tax dollars pay for a site, doesn't mean you can use it as you see fit. Really don't see where could simply make on call, and get permission anywhere in the city, unless there is a city-wide ban. Think you need to be more specific, and ask the people who oversee the places you want to hunt. The police station, fire department, city hall, are all public property, but doubt most would want, or allow someone to detect around them, unless you spoke to someone actually working in those places.

Okay I'll do that. People says that churches are one of the easiest places for getting permission is that true?

Depends if your a member i suppose :yes:

I know they usually have some land that can be dug around and are interested in your finds...think of all the stuff people drop at church picnics, gatherings outside etc...all their best gear on and changce galore planned for the collection plate....sometimes they can give more then the collection plate takes...:laughing:

Really don't think it's quite so simple, certainly not all public properties, or city land would be allowing hobby activities. A park, which may primarily be a carefully landscaped and maintained, memorial garden, obviously wouldn't be open to any sort of digging, or really much else, besides walking through, sitting quickly. Even though your tax dollars pay for a site, doesn't mean you can use it as you see fit. Really don't see where could simply make on call, and get permission anywhere in the city, unless there is a city-wide ban. Think you need to be more specific, and ask the people who oversee the places you want to hunt. The police station, fire department, city hall, are all public property, but doubt most would want, or allow someone to detect around them, unless you spoke to someone actually working in those places.

Some of the police and fire dept have their opld places as they grow bigger then move on and those places remain..they can be treasure troves too...as you say and opperating one wont let you on but they might not be as bad for their old place...and think of all the md'ers who were refused permission..it could hold a few years of finds with nobody looking

Bjerry

I go to the town or county office, and I only ask if there's any regulations aganst MD in my area I've only been refused in my home town

Depends if your a member i suppose :yes:

I know they usually have some land that can be dug around and are interested in your finds...think of all the stuff people drop at church picnics, gatherings outside etc...all their best gear on and changce galore planned for the collection plate....sometimes they can give more then the collection plate takes...:laughing:

Good point lol. I know of a few churches around my area, and in other local areas That has had many church picnics over the years. Some churches of those churches are still like that, I'll go ask them for permission I have a 70% chance they may say yes, if they had many events before.

I'd think this person would or her staff could tell you if there is a local ordinance on metal detecting. A yes or no is all you need.

The Powder Springs Municipal and Code Enforcement Courts

Tracie Jackson, Court Administrator
4483 Pine View Drive
PO. Box 46
Powder Springs, GA 30127

Ph: (770) 943-8020

Fax: (678) 626-0842

Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday (Closed Weekends and Holiday's)
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (CLOSE FOR LUNCH 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM)
Wednesday Municipal (Traffic) Court Hours Start at 5:00 p.m. Doors open at 4:15 PM
Monday Code Enforcement Court Hours Start at 1:00 p.m. Doors open at 12:15 PM

Bad idea nobody knew :O Thanks for the help though.

Back
Top Bottom