• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

local ball/soccer complex question

Dflan83

Elite Member
Hey all,
I live in a small town here in Tennessee and I noticed that my local ball// soccer complex is owned by the city recreation department. I looked at the rules (on the city website) I didn't see anything about about metal detecting and also didn't see a city ordinance against it.

Its a fairly large complex with 2 soccer fields 2 softball and one baseball field. I am wanting to go detecting here.

Finally to my question: Should I just go and apologize if I run into the law.. after all it is public land and I live in the city.

or Should I get permission first. This being a small town I could see that an email or call might be answered with a prompt no..

I am leaning towards just going. Especially since its getting colder and I would be there in the off season. I make sure I never leave traces behind and throw all trash away.

I do go to these types of places only on weekends..usually from sun up til around 10am....a lot of times if there is no ordinance against detecting if you look under "parks and recreation" there is usually an ordinance against disturbing and or defacing park property....especially living things..ie trees, grass, plants etc..go for it...be neat, dig clean plugs and if approached by park employees and or law tell them sorry you didnt realize and go on your way...these places are loaded with goodies !!......HH

I'd say early as in before 8am. If there are youth leagues playing there, they could be having weekend games.

I'd also be a little careful about detecting on the actual playing fields at first. Stay around the sidelines, bleacher areas and other off field areas. Once you get a feel for the place and find out if you'll be left alone or not, then you could venture out to the playing areas (but I only go on field during the off seasons when there is no activity).

I'd go early on Sat. or Sun. morning while most people are sleeping in. : )

I was at a field just like you described today,,, I read the posted "Rules" before I got started and didn't see anything in regards to metal detecting, So a-swinging i went, about 30 minutes and over $5.50 into it i see a vehicle pull up, out walks a city employee (recreational manager), and informs me that i cant dig here and asked politely if i would leave. So since the guy was courteous, I did as i was asked without any problems, So i guess what i am saying is its better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission, (public parks, ball fields etc,), of course if this was privately owned I wouldn't have been there to start with. But you get used to this kind of interaction, to me its just another day, theres always someplace else that needs picking.

I was at a field just like you described today,,, I read the posted "Rules" before I got started and didn't see anything in regards to metal detecting, So a-swinging i went, about 30 minutes and over $5.50 into it i see a vehicle pull up, out walks a city employee (recreational manager), and informs me that i cant dig here and asked politely if i would leave. So since the guy was courteous, I did as i was asked without any problems, So i guess what i am saying is its better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission, (public parks, ball fields etc,), of course if this was privately owned I wouldn't have been there to start with. But you get used to this kind of interaction, to me its just another day, theres always someplace else that needs picking.

That would be a bummer if that was the case. They own all the parks in my little town but I think you guys are right .. I'm going to go for it and apologize later if it happens.

It may not be a problem anyway. I'd go hit the sidelines, bleachers, concession stand areas. I have a softball/soccer sports complex near me that I go to. I did like you at first and checked for any rules against MD'n. None, No mention of it on the park signs either. So I went the first time and stayed off the main fields. I had been there about an hour or so and I see this guy pulling a spreader around the fences with a four wheeler on one of the other fields. Eventually here he came to the field I was at.

He started at the opposite end from where I was and I saw he was going around the outside perimeter. So my truck was going to need to be moved and I was expecting to hear the dreaded words when he got to me. I was thinking about just leaving and we both got to my truck about the same time. He asked how it was going and asked if I was leaving. I told him that I was going to move my truck out of his way and he said," No don't bother, it's not in my way". I told him I didn't see any signs about detecting. He told me there's not any and to use the place like it was mine. Turns out the guy is a town councilman and a really nice guy. I was stoked then for sure.

I cover my holes and do my best to leave no trace. I do take out any trash I dig and I even pick up trash from the picnic area and place it in the cans. I try to leave a good impression on the other people who may see me by doing a little clean up or something. That way they hopefully see me as more than just a guy with a metal detector digging around the park. Besides, I think we all should do what we can to take care of places like that and set good examples for others. So, even though you may be nervous about it the first time, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just go and enjoy yourself and be a good example for the hobby.HH.

Back
Top Bottom