Is it a bad idea to call police and ask where in the city is off limits to metal detecting?

US land along the Missouri is most likely under the BLM (Bureau of Land Management). You would go through them if you were prospecting and wanted to file a claim. They may have a permit process for MD'g by now.

BuznWG

Might want to make friends with a cop and get him into detecting.Used to know a cop who bottle dug.They'd get a group hunt on some properties in the roughest section of town.The cop could get info on properties scheduled for demo to be turned into habitat for humanity homes.Before the house was knocked down they'd all chip in on renting a back hoe.The cop would come in uniform on the dig.The neighbors would all stay inside because of the cop.After the dig they would split the bottles.Anybody else would get gunned down in that section of town if they tried digging in a yard.

...unless it was digging to get rid of somebody who'd already been gunned down in that section of town. lol!

Sweeps

I called the dept. of parks and recreation and asked. the answer I got from a staff member was "I don't know". could find nothing telling me I couldn't. I asked the people here and was told public parks in the city were fair game and state parks and land were off limits unless it said otherwise. usually need a permit that allowed MDing. I won't ever make the mistake of calling a gov't office again. I ask here first. chances are, the people here already went thru what I am and can save me the time and hassle.
DMD

Sometimes all you have to do is go to the particular government site on the internet to get the information. If you do that, then you don't have to speak to anyone at all. :peckkey::research:

Quit being a tool. You don't have to call your city govt or police like you were asking yer mommy for permission to do something. Look up your city parks and rec page online and see what the rules are, same for state parks. If it doesn't say no trespassing, no digging or no metal detecting on the sites or on the signs at the entrance then you are good to go end of story. Whomever answers the call at police station will be doing this :roll: if anyone calls in to ask what "the rules are". The police are busy catching drug dealers and murderers they don't have time to worry over your silly hobby that is truly how they feel about it. I have detected next to the sherriff dept and county jail and in front of cops doing paperwork in their cars at the park and none has said one thing to me, but I do get a lot of friendly waves. I have never been kicked out of anywhere only asked twice to leave places that normally are ok to detect but they needed to lock the gates early because of a special event which is understandable so they apologized to me for the inconvenience.

That's a big 10-4. Here, you can md all city road medians( if you can get past all the trash). Police will only ask you to leave if they feel it is unsafe. You can go to the same area the next day and expect no problem. :jail:

I don't believe in "over permissioning". Just go with your gut. Its usually right. Leave the cops alone.

Back
Top Bottom