Can many detectors give VDI in pinpoint mode?

Hmmmm never noticed. I'll check my v3i and MX sport next time I get out

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No First Texas machine that I know of does...nor Garrett...don't think the Deus did either when I had it. Just depth readings.

Detectors that do pin point mode by switching to a non-motion, all-metal mode, do not display a VDI while pin pointing. Most of the time, they will also use the screen to display a target depth meter.

Etrac does

Detectors that do pin point mode by switching to a non-motion, all-metal mode, do not display a VDI while pin pointing. Most of the time, they will also use the screen to display a target depth meter.

My Minelab SE "tries", but it's my opinion that about the only viable VDI is found in discrimination/swing mode with mine.

I never use pinpoint and dont really get the "point" of it. The wiggle back method works fine for me and in my opinion a pinpoint feature is completely uneccessary and probably adds cost to our machines

Well a Deus,,,yes,,pinpoint function not needed vs some other detectors.

Target size can be estimated using pinpoint too.

This AKA Signum detector I have ,,,,would be more difficult and definitely more time consuming in target recovery without a pinpoint function.

Also,,I've used Pulse machine Garrett ATX,,,it's pinpoint is very handy and dead nuts on.

Before I dig a 14" deep hole,,,,I sure want to make sure I'm digging in the right spot.lol

Last edited:
I never use pinpoint and dont really get the "point" of it. The wiggle back method works fine for me and in my opinion a pinpoint feature is completely uneccessary and probably adds cost to our machines

Yeah I don't usually use it in the real world,maybe when doing a video just for the kids. I do the wiggle back too,but...I was asking more for the VDI capabilities when in trash or with closely spaced targets. I'll have to play with the CTX more and see if it's of any use to me. I know my IDXPro has VDI in pinpoint,which I never knew and I've had it for 6 years! It uses concentric coils though,I think this feature may be more useful with a small DD because of the added separation...

I know the CTX can,is this a common thing? Just wunderin'....

Not on the V3i,

On the V3i pinpoint is in all metal, which is an advantage in itself, plus it shows strongest frequency, which is another way to give you additional target info. I have always hat the Ratchet off (VCO on)on the V3i, but in The Etrac you can't shut the ratchet off, which will lend a hand in sizing.

IIRC, my Teknetics Omega 8000 gives numerical IDs in non-motion all metal mode, but the pinpoint is a separate button for shrinking the beep.

Back
Top Bottom