Dig It ALL!

Ace400

After reading a couple of things and watching some more videos this week, I realized I wasn't doing myself any favors going out clad hunting with my machine set on coins in the old parks I'd been hitting. Sure, I was getting to the point where I was pulling out 6-10 coins per piece of trash, but you guys made me realize I was probably missing the bigger picture (dirt gold) with my technique. The fact that I had a grand total of ten nickels from my first 3 weeks, out of a few hundred coins, is quite telling.

So I went out tonight to a tot-lot and detected around the swing-set for about an hour as the sun was setting. I have to say, it's a little disconcerting that the first thing I found when I got there was that shell casing. Anyway, using the Sniper coil I set the Ace on Jewelry mode with the iron audio on and dug everything that made a noise. I was in deep wood chips so it didn't matter what the depth read, I was digging it up. Low and behold, I pulled up almost as many nickels tonight as I have since I started detecting! I'm not sure what the broken earring is made of... Might be my first (white) gold, might not.
Look at that tiny little silverish rivet! That thing was about 4" down and rang loud and clear, the Ace continues to impress me. Interested to see how it will do on the beach, my first scoop should be here tomorrow (And we've had a storm blow through today).

A big thanks to all here who give advice so freely to us noobs... You really do knock out a big chunk of the learning curve. :bowdown:

Attachments

• IMAG7996_1.jpg
    IMAG7996_1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 317
It's makes things more interesting and exciting when you dig it all, because sooner or later a great big ole gold ring is going to pop up and make you very, very happy.

beephead

Nickels are in the gold range, you'll never find it if you don't dig tabs and nickels. Gold can show up in the 40's too. Digging all is a great teacher. Good luck and feel free to tap minds a on this forum for help.

My first dozen or so hunts I used no discrimination and mostly dug everything. Some of the hunts were in an old State Park where Washington and the troops camped for a month or two, so there I've been digging all the field iron as well. Pulled up a 4' long flat iron rod at one point.
But my initial ratio of probably a dozen pieces of trash for every coin started to bother me, especially looking at the posts from some of the coin shooters around here. So I changed my settings and went to a basketball court and filled my pocket with clad.:D
Maybe it was the location last night, but even digging everything that beeped netted me approximately a 1 to 1 trash to coin ratio. Or was that a bit of experience starting to work for me? (I've probably got around 50 hours on the machine at this point.) What should I be expecting in that regard?

Nice finds there Ace400! You're getting the hang of it.

FYI... I'm right around the corner in W. Norriton, PA.
Thanks!
Let me know if you ever want to go detecting with company, I can pretty much be available any time to go play in the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom