JackalopeZL1's Big East Coast Adventure!!

JackalopeZL1

Elite Member
Happy New year everyone!!!! I have a little bit of a story of my First East coast metal detecting adventure. Me being from the West Coast I often find myself absolutely jealous of the east coast folks and the much older history available for detecting. A couple months ago I got a open invite to do some detecting with Treblehunter from the TNET forums. I said what the heck, bought my plane tickets, reserved my rental car and Hotel, It is official I am committed :)

So the big day arrives when I have to jump on the plane. After finding the best way to get my CTX on the plane I boarded in Sacramento and 8 or 9 hrs later I landed in Philly. Heck Just leaving the Airport I saw houses that were way older than most on the west coast and it had me excited.

So the next morning I met up with Treblehunter and we went right out to one of his permissions. It is a hay field that had a house from the 1700's on it once upon a time. He showed me some locations and where he had hunted and said go for it. I have to say I am so impressed with Brad(Treblehunter) The guy is one of the nicest, generous and thoughtful folks I have ever met. A true ambassador of the hobbie!!

The first day of detecting you would have thought it was mid march with 65* tshirt weather on December 27th?? I had prepared for freezing so this was a absolute joy to start the week off with. And boy did it start off good, About 10 minutes into the hunt I got a clear and clean 12/13 on the CTX about 4 inches down. Popped the plug and Boom My first Shield nickle. And it had Rays!! So 1866 or 1867 My new oldest coin..

All the pictures
http://s259.photobucket.com/user/pat4x44wd/library/Meteal Detecting NJ 2016?sort=3&page=1

From there it just got better. I spent a few days with Treblehunter going to a few spots he had permissions to hunt and it was awesome. I ended up with many many Buttons, a couple silver washed and a few Gold gilt, A draped bust large cent(now my oldest coin 1796 to 1807) 3 Flying eagle cents(3 year minted coin 1856, 57, 58), 3 or 4 Indians the oldest being a Fatty 1863, A sterling silver whatsit, Glass top to a ink well, a bunch of buckles, and so on. Pics below. In the end It was a trip I will never forget and I want to throw another thank you out to TREBLEHUNTER! I can't wait to go back east again. I truly would have been happy with a couple of wheat pennies and the experience of traveling back east. But it turned out to be much more. Now to plan for next time!!

Hey, next time you come back east do it in a bit warmer climate and stop off in Detroit. I could take you out water hunting.

Congrats on some old coins and silver. Those old buttons are sweet also.

Outstanding! What a great post about a hunt and friendship developed through the mutual love of this Sport!
I hear you about looking down on a clear day when flying and thinking about some of the places you see from the air! :laughing: Thats why I like to hunt via satellite imagery and then drive on over and see...no parking garage fees and no TSA lines to go through!:laughing:
Mud

Great story....what a cool offer to have you come play in our East Coast sandbox. What a great group of finds....now you've exposed our secret. :laughing: Glad you had a great trip. HH!

JackalopeZL1.
Excellent artifacts. Old and interesting.
Your photo - detail of a military headdress.
We have the name of "herring".
I have found such.

Excellent finds Jack! :cool: :yes:

Glad you had a fun and prosperous adventure out this way.

A lot of activity happened back east during the 17th and 18th century. Some of us are very fortunate to be able to access these locations and come up with good finds.

We kind of frown on Carpetbaggers though! ;) :roll: :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom