Today in history...Star Trek begins

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
On Sept 8th 1966 from 8:30 to 9:30 pm a new tv show is aired.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Trap

After a few fits and starts, a discarded pilot and almost being cancelled before it began by Desilu studios because of its costs "The Man Trap" debuts.
Something different, it won its time slot and was just the beginning of a 50 year run in tv, conventions, movies and more...and still continues today.
Not one the best episodes, that salt vampire was kind of hokey, but everything has to start somewhere.

I watched it that night, talked my mom into letting me stay up late to watch it and I was 11 years old and I was amazed...little did I know how much pleasure I would get from all the movies and spin offs that were to come over the next 5 decades.
I saw each and every episode of that show and also every different version first run, now with Netflix I turned my wife on to them and she also loves watching them all for the first time in her life.

Star Wars is fine, loved all the Stargate series and everything else but I am a Trekkie at heart, no other sci fy show or series had characters that became so close to me...like family.
Not every episode of every show was great and there were some bad ones but some pretty great ones were in there too.

In the grand scope of things there are so many historical milestones that were more important but the impact this show had on me on this date so long ago was, has been and will always be tremendous to this dyed in the wool sci-fi freak.
My life changed for the better on this date in history.

Never been one for star trek or star wars.

I might be one of 1% who has never watched any of the movies!

And never missed them lmao!

Well ND you will have a chance tonight too watch every episode in order on the BBC Channel tonight, as they are airing them ..

Live long and Prosper

It was a triumph of life. Civilizations conquered the extremely complex mathematics and engineering necessary to travel the stars and defeat the constant of light speed. Yet, they didn't know enough about basic vector algebra that would allow them to engage in space combat in more than two dimensions. Woe be to them when they encountered a less advanced race that understood how to fight in three dimensions.

It was a triumph of life. Civilizations conquered the extremely complex mathematics and engineering necessary to travel the stars and defeat the constant of light speed. Yet, they didn't know enough about basic vector algebra that would allow them to engage in space combat in more than two dimensions. Woe be to them when they encountered a less advanced race that understood how to fight in three dimensions.

The beauty of sci-fi shows, movies and books.
Plot holes that are dismissed, ignored or explained away badly.
Doesn't make me enjoy them any less even if I do have a certain degree of Spock logic.

In the movie ST IV The Voyage Home they park a huge, solid but invisible spaceship smack dab in the middle of an open space in a popular public park in San Francisco and nobody notices it for days...or ever.
You would think somebody in this hobby would have gotten some sort of signal and thought something was fishy if he was near the thing.

On Voyager they were stranded with an inventory of only 38 photon torpedoes...
"With no way to manufacture any more".
Didn't seem to stop them from firing these things off every chance they could for 7 years, however.
Not a big fan of reality, just ask anyone that knows me.

Last edited:
Well ND you will have a chance tonight too watch every episode in order on the BBC Channel tonight, as they are airing them ..

Live long and Prosper

Every episode? Tonight?

Is this a 6 month back to back marathon?

If it was a Naked and Afraid marathon, count me in. I might actually learn something from watching that.

Plot holes that are dismissed, ignored or explained away badly.

I try to dismiss the glaringly obvious things in Sci-Fi. Sadly, my pathology doesn't allow me to. My brain grinds on things that aren't right. Drives my wife crazy. The only way for me to move on is to fix what I see wrong, or not expose myself to it. I think I have an over-active Anterior Cingulate.

I love Star Trek, I grew up on it! The lightsabers, freaking Yoda and those lil cute Ewoks, the those huge AT-AT walkers! Oh my lord, what a mind bender that Darth Vader turned out to be Luke's father! All those special futuristic effects, and George Lucas is a genius! So much good stuff, and a new movie soon to boot!

I love Star Trek, I grew up on it! The lightsabers, freaking Yoda and those lil cute Ewoks, the those huge AT-AT walkers! Oh my lord, what a mind bender that Darth Vader turned out to be Luke's father! All those special futuristic effects, and George Lucas is a genius! So much good stuff, and a new movie soon to boot!

I think you have your Stars crossed:

Star Trek - Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Starship Enterprise....

Star Wars, all the other things you said.....

Yes, we noticed.

I think you have your Stars crossed:

Star Trek - Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Starship Enterprise....

Star Wars, all the other things you said.....

Yes, we noticed.

Wait, wha... You guys are talking about that "Spuck" dude and beam me up, Scotty guy? Ohhhh, Star Trek...I see now.

Those people are weird, it's almost like joining a cult with that whole secret hand signal and stuff. :laughing:

lol They always seemed cheesy to me... different strokes for diff folks. :)

I had no inherent problem with Star Trek until I got to college. I didn't watch it per se, but, when I first encountered hard core trekies, I began to loathe the very idea of Star Trek.

It was one thing to debate the merits and cool things about the show, but, when they started having a heated argument over whether the Star Trek "Federation" could defeat the Star Wars "Empire" - I think this was taking things to an entirely different level of OMFG these people are crazy. Heck, if they were just discussing it it would have been fine. But, to be fighting over it...

Bab-5 ... Now that was a fine show.

Back
Top Bottom