Stress sux!

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
Sorry I haven't been on much lately and haven't had much time to comment on posts or even get out to hunt. Getting into the busy season with school started and many different family members birthdays coming up and shortly after them is Christmas. Also about to start plans for adding a room onto the house and throw a new roof overtop the whole thing. Seems like the holiday stress is going to get me early this year, as if things aren't hectic enough. Freaking money flying out the windows and it's not like there is a bunch coming in anyways.

I can feel it already weighing on my shoulders. Tried fishing the other night and just caught some gar, disappointing but nice to get out. Man, I need some detecting time. Just once or twice a week would help, I think, just to escape. Trying to take things one day at a time, but it's tough when you have to line things up to fall into place just right.

Sometimes it's just so hard to sit back for a minute and enjoy the now, instead of worrying about what's coming up around the next corner. You ever feel like this? What do you do that helps?

I know sometimes when I have too much thrown on me, I purposely let some fall off...especially when I know the person who threw it on me should have or could have handled it in the first place. That might be just a tad evil, but it keeps me sane at times like this...

Dude, don't say the "C" word this early!!!!!

I know though it's coming fast! (Twss)

Hang in there! Well get through it all :)

Dude, don't say the "C" word this early!!!!!

I know though it's coming fast! (Twss)

Hang in there! Well get through it all :)

I already started buying a little. We used to do the Black Friday thing but I'm too old to fight with 200 other people at Walmart trying to grab that last Xbox or stay up till 4am running around different stores and timing when they'll open. I hate last minute shopping, good deals but it's too much work.

I used to love Christmas too, getting together with family and friends. But everything seems so over-consumerized now (if you know what I mean) and I'm really starting to hate the holidays.

Last edited:
I know what you mean when you get busy and there's always something to do no matter which way you look . I was like that about a year ago , ended up building a house at the beach . I walked out on the pier one night to go fishing , and I love to fish , I lasted about 20 minutes and decided I needed to get inside and do some paperwork . The next time I went out ,I had to make myself stay out there . I finally settled down enough to actually start enjoying it again . The moral of the story here is , make time for yourself , even if you've got to make yourself enjoy it . It will definetly help keep that stress level down , which is also good for your heart . Good luck .

I know what you mean when you get busy and there's always something to do no matter which way you look . I was like that about a year ago , ended up building a house at the beach . I walked out on the pier one night to go fishing , and I love to fish , I lasted about 20 minutes and decided I needed to get inside and do some paperwork . The next time I went out ,I had to make myself stay out there . I finally settled down enough to actually start enjoying it again . The moral of the story here is , make time for yourself , even if you've got to make yourself enjoy it . It will definetly help keep that stress level down , which is also good for your heart . Good luck .

Good advice! It sounds a little selfish but if there is one thing I have learned it's, if you don't take care of yourself...you can't help take care of others. You can't offer anyone what you don't have youself! Peace, comfort, whatever...

Try to spread things out as much as possible, if you have enough to keep you at a "normal" busy any particular week, put non-urgent stuff off till later and/or delegate tasks you know others would be glad to help with.

The bottom line is your health is more important and too much stress can affect your health.

Sorry I haven't been on much lately and haven't had much time to comment on posts or even get out to hunt. Getting into the busy season with school started and many different family members birthdays coming up and shortly after them is Christmas. Also about to start plans for adding a room onto the house and throw a new roof overtop the whole thing. Seems like the holiday stress is going to get me early this year, as if things aren't hectic enough. Freaking money flying out the windows and it's not like there is a bunch coming in anyways.

I can feel it already weighing on my shoulders. Tried fishing the other night and just caught some gar, disappointing but nice to get out. Man, I need some detecting time. Just once or twice a week would help, I think, just to escape. Trying to take things one day at a time, but it's tough when you have to line things up to fall into place just right.

Sometimes it's just so hard to sit back for a minute and enjoy the now, instead of worrying about what's coming up around the next corner. You ever feel like this? What do you do that helps?

I know sometimes when I have too much thrown on me, I purposely let some fall off...especially when I know the person who threw it on me should have or could have handled it in the first place. That might be just a tad evil, but it keeps me sane at times like this...

Suck it up buttercup!

You're this side of the daisies. ..

Being normal busy is one thing and then add on extras and holidays, it gets to be too much sometimes. Stress can literally knock you down with panic attacks or worse. You have to learn to tell people "no' when you need your free time...

Being normal busy is one thing and then add on extras and holidays, it gets to be too much sometimes. Stress can literally knock you down with panic attacks or worse. You have to learn to tell people "no' when you need your free time...

I've learned to be proactive instead of reactive when things get hectic like this. If I need a little boost to help minimize the stress, I have a psychiatrist I can see. I don't like taking meds, but when free time to help unwind is limited...it just keeps piling up. Some things can't be said no to, like a leaky roof from wind damage. But you have to re-prioritize when things like this happen.

Our code enforcement guy wrote me a "warning citation" last week for a fruitless pear tree that is on our curb strip. I think he has it out for me. The branches have to clear 8ft off the sidewalk side and 14ft off the street side. You know how retarded the tree looks when trimmed like that? Looks like a hunchback jumping on a pogo stick when the wind blows. I used to have 3 of those trees lined along the curbstrip. Lost one in the huge drought we had about 6 years ago, and another 2 years ago when he wrote me the same citation and the tree couldn't handle the stress of being trimmed back that much all at one time. I swear he has a stiff one for me, and needless to say...I've been working like a dog even on my days off work trying to keep up.

I am blessed with a good family and decent place to live and a good job, but sometimes it can just get overwhelming. Venting like this helps and is a little therapy/relief when others can relate. As far as the code enforcement guy...I hope he sits on a screwdriver and spins!

Last edited:
I've learned to be proactive instead of reactive when things get hectic like this. If I need a little boost to help minimize the stress, I have a psychiatrist I can see. I don't like taking meds, but when free time to help unwind is limited...it just keeps piling up. Some things can't be said no to, like a leaky roof from wind damage. But you have to re-prioritize when things like this happen.

Our code enforcement guy wrote me a "warning citation" last week for a fruitless pear tree that is on our curb strip. I think he has it out for me. The branches have to clear 8ft off the sidewalk side and 14ft off the street side. You know how retarded the tree looks when trimmed like that? Looks like a hunchback jumping on a pogo stick when the wind blows. I used to have 3 of those trees lined along the curbstrip. Lost one in the huge drought we had about 6 years ago, and another 2 years ago when he wrote me the same citation and the tree couldn't handle the stress of being trimmed back that much all at one time. I swear he has a stiff one for me, and needless to say...I've been working like a dog even on my days off work trying to keep up.

I am blessed with a good family and decent place to live and a good job, but sometimes it can just get overwhelming. Venting like this helps and is a little therapy/relief when others can relate. As far as the code enforcement guy...I hope he sits on a screwdriver and spins!

I've seen where people have secured large heavy duty tarps over the leaky areas as a temporary fix till they could do a normal repair or replacement.

As much as some things like chores ect have to be done everyday, we all still need to make ourselves have a period of time every day for relax time, it's not goofing off, it's something your mind and body needs so you don't get overwhelmed.

I've seen where people have secured large heavy duty tarps over the leaky areas as a temporary fix till they could do a normal repair or replacement.

As much as some things like chores ect have to be done everyday, we all still need to make ourselves have a period of time every day for relax time, it's not goofing off, it's something your mind and body needs so you don't get overwhelmed.

I'll probably end up doing the tarp thing for about 2 months until I can secure funds from my retirement for the roof and addition. Our back porch is very weathered, but closed in on 3 sides already by a bedroom, garage and living room. All it needs to add a room on is a new solid foundation built, 1 wall and then a roof, so it won't be that much more than it would cost to rip out all the old weathered wood and replace it anyways. Once that's done, they can reshingle the whole house.

My home insurance is carp! I'm paying $1800 a year for stupid junk they added in like "valuables, ie: fur coverage" without me knowing and they only cover ACV value on the roof. When all this is done, they are going in the toilet and I'm going to find a better cheaper coverage. People need to look at their homeowners policies like lawyers, they are shady sharks!

We're in Texas, ain't no one got fur coats here. Coldest it gets is like 40 degrees during winter and if I need a fur replacement, I'll go out and skin one!

Last edited:
The best advice I can give is - "breathe". Stress keeps us from breathing properly which causes a whole assortment of other issue. Breathing works wonders.

I'll probably end up doing the tarp thing for about 2 months until I can secure funds from my retirement for the roof and addition. Our back porch is very weathered, but closed in on 3 sides already by a bedroom, garage and living room. All it needs to add a room on is a new solid foundation built, 1 wall and then a roof, so it won't be that much more than it would cost to rip out all the old weathered wood and replace it anyways. Once that's done, they can reshingle the whole house.

My home insurance is carp! I'm paying $1800 a year for stupid junk they added in like "valuables, ie: fur coverage" without me knowing and they only cover ACV value on the roof. When all this is done, they are going in the toilet and I'm going to find a better cheaper coverage. People need to look at their homeowners policies like lawyers, they are shady sharks!

We're in Texas, ain't no one got fur coats here. Coldest it gets is like 40 degrees during winter and if I need a fur replacement, I'll go out and skin one!

I worked doing both single and hot tar roofs back in the mid 1970's for a while, so while I have the know how to re-shingle my roof if I decided to, it might be a little too much for me physically to do the entire roof myself.

We had a few places that developed leaks so I took a 5 gallon bucket of roofing cement to repair spots that appeared to be problem areas, like especially around fixtures like roof vents and pipes.

One area that still seemed to be a problem I ended up getting a roll of mineral paper (like a roll of roofing paper but with a coating like shingles) and covering that section of shingles on one side from the top to the roof edge. It may stand out from the shingles on either side, but since that back part of the roof faces the woods it is not visible to the public or even from the ground in the back, and it fixed the problem !

Just be VERY careful if you do any roof work yourself, I make sure to go slow and easy and watch every step and think before every move and not try to rush things.

Of course if your insurance will cover it all no sense in getting on the roof if you don't have to.

roofrepair25.jpg

We suffered for 4 months because about $10,000 bills in those 4 months stymied us and we on a fixed income. Ate a lot of sandwiches:laughing:, went every other week to a charity giving free vegetables/fruit, and basically stayed home and held 4 garage sales. This month was our first time to eat out. Read about other posters wanting this or that new detector while I was thanking God for the ones I had. I can see a light, now....

I worked doing both single and hot tar roofs back in the mid 1970's for a while, so while I have the know how to re-shingle my roof if I decided to, it might be a little too much for me physically to do the entire roof myself.

We had a few places that developed leaks so I took a 5 gallon bucket of roofing cement to repair spots that appeared to be problem areas, like especially around fixtures like roof vents and pipes.

One area that still seemed to be a problem I ended up getting a roll of mineral paper (like a roll of roofing paper but with a coating like shingles) and covering that section of shingles on one side from the top to the roof edge. It may stand out from the shingles on either side, but since that back part of the roof faces the woods it is not visible to the public or even from the ground in the back, and it fixed the problem !

Just be VERY careful if you do any roof work yourself, I make sure to go slow and easy and watch every step and think before every move and not try to rush things.

Of course if your insurance will cover it all no sense in getting on the roof if you don't have to.

View attachment 361273

ACV policies doesn't really cover anything. It's not a replacement value, it's a cash value which means depreciation which means it only covers 40-50% of the cost. I don't even want to get started on how they are screwing me, it'll just work me up more but let's put it this way...lesson learned!

I'm going to do about 30% of the work myself on the addition, but crews will be called in. I'll be architect and planner, looking so forward to dealing with the city permiting department! :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom