Cemeteries

Mainely Clad

In the last month or so I have had two other detectorists approach me while I was out detecting. When the conversation turned to good locations to hunt both of them said the had good luck in cemeteries. One of them proudly proclaimed that they had found a seated dime in a old cemetery and the other guy said that he likes to hunt under the old trees because back in the day when they buried someone important, kids would hang upside down from the trees and change would fall out of their pockets. I was kind of surprised and a little disturbed to hear this because I have always thought of cemeteries as off limits. I would never detect in one and I never will. I do understand the temptation but there are lines I won't cross and detecting in the cemetery is one of them. Opinions?

This subject has been broached several times... the plots in a cemetery are private property and to me off limits.. I know people who bury items on the their family plots and if it was me I wouldn't want someone digging them up... you can run a search on the forum here and see all the back and forth on this subject if you so choose to ;)

This subject has been broached several times... the plots in a cemetery are private property and to me off limits.. I know people who bury items on the their family plots and if it was me I wouldn't want someone digging them up... you can run a search on the forum here and see all the back and forth on this subject if you so choose to ;)

Thank you. Feel the same way

Yeah..most of us dont hunt cemetaries...just not cool...Its nice to visit and read the stones though...ponder about the person and be respectful...Plenty of Planet out there for us to hunt...Most Detectorists with any modicum of decorum or common sense leave grave robbing to the Archies...they dont seem to have a problem with it?...it keeps them out of our way though...

For us, its best to avoid Evil Spirits, grave robbing, curses and Ghouls altogether if a guy can, I dont care if they have a Masters Degree!...a Ghoul is a ghoul...

Although, I do look forward to following an Archie or stupid detectorist home someday 100yrs from now...by god, they will not know what hits them, I will relish the entertainment!:laughing:
Mud

FYI there are three subjects that have been discussed and argued about to death around here and if you do a search you will find hundreds of posts pop up relating to them since they have been a hot button issue on most forums for years.
Some get so hot and bothered about these subjects that members have been kicked off the forum forever because of the behavior they exhibit going crazy over them.
Most agree about the bad idea and karma regarding hunting cemeteries but not everyone.

The other two subjects with sometimes diametrically opposed opinions are Long Range Locators and dowsing rods.

Thanks. Not trying to ruffle any feathers here. Was just looking for opinions. It's unfortunate that some people can't have a discussion without getting all worked up and getting banned from the site.

Thanks. Not trying to ruffle any feathers here. Was just looking for opinions. It's unfortunate that some people can't have a discussion without getting all worked up and getting banned from the site.

You can discuss any topic you want here... this is why we are here...

Do a search, really.
Just about everything that needs to be said about this subject and all opinions about it are around here somewhere.

Here is just one I found....72 replies and then eventually closed.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=89527

There is some different logic to it put down by some...modern cemeteries for sure and many would not ever consider hunting any cemetery at any time but a few have thrown up the point of where do you draw the line?
Would 200, 300 or 400 year old sites be thought of the same?
What if you're out deep in the woods and hunting some unrecognizable site and hours later discover evidence you have been hunting a very old long forgotten cemetery and didn't realize it.
Do you put everything back?
Not everyone agrees about that.

Being new here you wouldn't know and these subjects always pop up by newer members because they just don't know the history so no big deal.

If you want to be entertained go look up some of the usually super long threads about these 3 subjects.
People's behavior can sometimes be very amusing when they really, really want to get their opinion and point across.

Tell them both I said they need to be kicked in the throat. Couple of dummies

In the last month or so I have had two other detectorists approach me while I was out detecting. When the conversation turned to good locations to hunt both of them said the had good luck in cemeteries. One of them proudly proclaimed that they had found a seated dime in a old cemetery and the other guy said that he likes to hunt under the old trees because back in the day when they buried someone important, kids would hang upside down from the trees and change would fall out of their pockets. I was kind of surprised and a little disturbed to hear this because I have always thought of cemeteries as off limits. I would never detect in one and I never will. I do understand the temptation but there are lines I won't cross and detecting in the cemetery is one of them. Opinions?

I'm sorry, I don't "understand the temptation" to dig in a place where someone is buried. Clearly these two noobs have very vivid imaginiations "kids would hang upside down from old trees back in the day", really? You know, they did that too in plenty of public parks...probably more there than in a cemetery. If I were you I would steer clear of these two - let them seek their fame and fortune....and then get busted.

As for hunting cemeteries, I'm definitely against but I must admit the threads here about it are often quite entertaining. Start a thread with something like "I found a gold ring in a cemetery below an old headstone" and watch the fireworks go off. Most members, unless they knew it was a joke, would treat you like a member of ISIS.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :laughing:

shitFMDF.jpg

yep never go in to the cemetery I guess if someone approaches you and asks if you could find something they lost while visiting a loved one that maybe a bit different but still cemeterys equal no go.

yep never go in to the cemetery I guess if someone approaches you and asks if you could find something they lost while visiting a loved one that maybe a bit different but still cemeterys equal no go.

OMG! I'd struggle with that...:laughing::laughing: I'd be on the ground running my hands through the grass. They'd wonder why they even asked the guy with the machine.

Back
Top Bottom