members who are sellers only...WTH???

MD-Mainiac

Forum Supporter
Just looking through some for sale stuff, I decided to check the posts one frequent seller in numismatics.

After a bit of research, found that 95%+ of this users posts are all related to selling coins on the forum.

I thought you needed to actually contribute meaningful posts?
I, and others, feel this guy is using this forum as his own personal ebay.

And unfortunately for some not so knowledgeable buyers, are paying way to much money for stuff.

Comments? Thoughts?

Yeah...noticed that too, So What?.....no big deal...hes got 100% feedback score, so he lives up to the expectations of transactions and shipping of his buyers...like most of what we find or is for sale out there in the world, the real value is what somebody else will pay..no biggie...dont let it bother you, sure maybe some 'not so knowledgeable' people might pay more than 'worth' but whats that to you? How else are they gonna learn? Same with cars or boats or anything else......good for him...its nice to see coins...I dont know the guy or have ever bought anything from him...so it has no effect on me at all...leave it alone...more big problems afoot than this...
Mud

I tend to agree with Mud. If I decide to pay a premium, that is on me. The buyer is free to research values. I am not saying I respect someone who sells at inflated prices, but they certainly have the right to do it. You can't force that seller to be more ethical.

Could be worse, Coinmaster could be back, the reason why I shut off the classified section. He didn't even own a detector, still lived with his parents, no job (or interest), or car. He was the reason for several of the rules, aggressively pushed the limits. He'd have a bunch of sales going, updated them all several times a day, just to keep them on the first search page. When I logged in, clicked the "New Posts" tab, first couple of pages were mostly his junk, and I wasn't that interested in the classified section to begin with. He was also pretty obnoxious in the rest of the forum, until he got sent on 'vacation'.

Asking price, may not be set in stone in these kinds of sales. Sometimes, any offer, is the best offer, never know until you try. I'd prefer if the classifieds were just for people who actually are involved with the hobby, since there are many other options to buy and sell online. Really hard to enforce, no way to tell if he detects, but most just finds modern, common stuff, really not that interesting to post about. Oldest coin I've found in a while, was a 1974 quarter last weekend. Least he doesn't post a bunch of BS, just to keep his fee-free store front.

for me, it's the use of the forums for a fee free store front.

I have no particular like or dislike for the person, I haven't bought anything. As a serious coin collector, I hate seeing other people get 'fleeced'. There are large coin communities that people can sell and buy coins on. http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/ is one such. I have been a member there over 5 years. But, i don't think the seller would post there as people would laugh at his prices.

I agree too, if the guy is no harm no foul then just let it go,,,but I do see maniacs point, I get the same feeling when I go to a gun show in town and their in the middle of all the firearms related stuff is a guy who has a table he is selling coins and stamps at , or some other antique kinda stuff...Heck he paid for the table and if he thinks he can sell his stuff at that kinda show, and the show organizers let him,more power to ya....I just walk by....

He may not have had to pay for the table? My friend I hunt fossils with gets a call from the people who run the rock and mineral shows. If they need tables to fill the show they give him a free spot with tables to set up and sell fossils. We are the only ones selling fossils in the whole show. We actually make more money from the people selling custom stone knives who buy fossils to make the handles than the people coming to the show:lol:

MDM there is several who only use the forum to sell. Be glad you get to detect and have stuff to talk about.

caveat emptor

We have all been there. Both sides for some. I have sold unpolished petoskey stones to the tourists for 5 times what they would have played thirty miles up the road. If they went another thirty miles they would be charged 5 times more than they payed me. I got 250 bucks for an ice cream pail full of beach glass. It cost me nothing, picked it up walking the dog. The same place that sells the stones cheap charges more than that for tumbled glass. The lady that bought the glass uses it for her " art" and will probably clear over 1500 bucks easily. Price is what someone is willing to pay.

We have all been there. Both sides for some. I have sold unpolished petoskey stones to the tourists for 5 times what they would have played thirty miles up the road. If they went another thirty miles they would be charged 5 times more than they payed me. I got 250 bucks for an ice cream pail full of beach glass. It cost me nothing, picked it up walking the dog. The same place that sells the stones cheap charges more than that for tumbled glass. The lady that bought the glass uses it for her " art" and will probably clear over 1500 bucks easily. Price is what someone is willing to pay.

Cool! The Wife likes tumbled beach glass, shells too...I bring it all home...she makes stained glass lamps and things...she bought a sack full of these limpet shells to use with the beachglass for this one..

Attachments

• lamp1.jpg
    lamp1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 199
Cool! The Wife likes tumbled beach glass, shells too...I bring it all home...she makes stained glass lamps and things...she bought a sack full of these limpet shells to use with the beachglass for this one..

Limpets are a rare find down here. Last one I found I gave to an Autistic boy at the beach along with a sharkstooth. I only find like one a month. That is one cool lamp:yes:

Back
Top Bottom