• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1663 Cut Cob! (possible ID)

MV-AtPro

Still in shock. Got out of work a few minuets early today. Sun was shining and rain forecast for the weekend thought I migh just get out there for a few. Spent about an hr and a half sun was setting behind me when the ATP got a nice signal. 79-80 at about 7" pulled my plug and wow. Could see the detail right off the back new it was a cut coin. Got it home cleaned it up a bit and knew I had a cob. After looking closer I could see the 600! The 1 in 1600 is cut off but deffently my new oldest coin and new oldest silver. Thinking it's going to be hard to beat this one. Can't be happier thanks for looking. HH

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,343
Wow, I congratulated U already but this deserves another. Just think... a coin before our country was first settled. 400 years old... something most US treasure hunters WONT EVER find. Big congrats!!!! :cool: What an amazing mind blowing find

Ironpatch I was thinking the same thing. It is deffently a hammered silver coin with a date on it but I can't seem to fined where its from? I'll post it in the help id my finds section but any info would be great thanks for looking

Better pic. I added the ? because I don't really know if it is a cob or not. Any ID help would be helpful

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,007
Ironpatch I was thinking the same thing. It is deffently a hammered silver coin with a date on it but I can't seem to fined where its from? I'll post it in the help id my finds section but any info would be great thanks for looking

I'm guessing you'll be just as happy with the ID when you find out because it does look like something very early, I'm just not sure what. There's also enough there to ID so maybe it will take a bit,but it will definitely get ID'ed. My gut reaction was maybe Portugal, but I followed up on that a little and didn't see anything close enough. Doesn't seem to match the typical Asian/Indian type stuff so I'm at a loss. The ones where you don't have much to go on it's usually a case of waiting for the right person to see it who is familiar.

I'm guessing you'll be just as happy with the ID when you find out because it does look like something very early, I'm just not sure what. There's also enough there to ID so maybe it will take a bit,but it will definitely get ID'ed. My gut reaction was maybe Portugal, but I followed up on that a little and didn't see anything close enough. Doesn't seem to match the typical Asian/Indian type stuff so I'm at a loss. The ones where you don't have much to go on it's usually a case of waiting for the right person to see it who is familiar.

I thought I saw a 2 Reale 1600/1599 somewhere. Date was in the same spot but can't find it now.

Somebody will figure it out. I was thinking France for a bit. Will be interesting to find out.

I thought I saw a 2 Reale 1600/1599 somewhere. Date was in the same spot but can't find it now.

Somebody will figure it out. I was thinking France for a bit. Will be interesting to find out.

I've bought, and seen a lot of early French silver for a decade now and it doesn't strike me as that.... and same for Spanish too. I wouldn't rule it out 100%, am just not seeing anything in the design that would push me in that direction. For French once you predate the the chunky silver Ecu coins the hammered silver is pretty thin. That said I don't think we can even be sure this is a hammered coin yet, could be a cut piece of a milled one that's a little mangled. It does look early, but that range is 1500s-1700s for something like this.... and the earlier the tougher it will probably be to figure it out.

Forum member Doug pm me and said he has sent the photos to his English coin master. I can't wait to fined out what it is thanks for your help and time

Back
Top Bottom